Hedman Questions / Supreme Offset

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM

Question Hedman Questions / Supreme Offset

I am still going back and forth on what kind of headers to get for my Cutlass. I know that I should not be concerned about the mythical engine offset in a 71 Supreme with a Rocket 350.

Having said that, Summit (among others) offers two different sets from Hedman. One set is p/n 58060 which is made for the Cutlass. The other is p/n 58190 and is made only for the Cutlass Supreme. The version for Supremes is generally substantially more expensive.

Does anyone know what the difference (besides marketing) is between these two models? Should I go for the official "Supreme" version or figure that Cutlasses are Cutlasses and go with the general Cutlass model?

For reference...

58060 (For Cutlasses)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-58060/

58190 (For Cutlass Supremes)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-58190/

Thanks for any help!
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM

I cant tell you which ones to buy but back in the 70's Hookers were said to fit the best out of the box on Oldsmobiles so that is what I always bought. The supreme thing is a myth so I dont know what they are saying about that.
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:43 AM

What I want to know is why does it say in the specs "Does not fit Hurst or Notchback models"? Aren't they the same chassis??
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Administrator

I've never installed a set of headers on a 69-72, however I've been told there is absolutely no difference between the Cutlass/F85/S/or Supreme. The same header will fit all!
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I wish I had a dollar for each time this is brought up. This myth just will not die. We should all put a petition out to all header manufacturer's to put an end to it once and for all. I cant come up with a single reason as to why the myth even exists???
ALL 68-72, A body Olds F85, Cutlass, Cutlass "S", Cutlass Supreme, Hurst, 442, Rallye 350, Ws, 4 door, wagons flat top or Vista even the stray Olds-camino use the same header dimensions....PERIOD! However there is a difference between big block and small block headers due to port size and deck height. There is long tube and short tube etc......off-set NOT!
No offset difference of any kind between Sport backs and Supremes. Id like the header companies to prove it.
Now all that said, some will fit better out-of-the box.
Regardless of what brand of header is installed the brake distribution block and lines will need to be moved to the top of the frame rail.
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:07 PM

The hedmans on my Cutlass are a little low to the ground for my taste. There is alot of room for them to have been higher. I have heard other statements quite awile back on this board about the low hanging hedmans.
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, I know there's no difference - heck, I'm the one who's been preaching it. This still begs the question, WHY does Hedman now list two different part numbers? I checked the photos of the two different sets (hint, go to the Hedman catalog for accurate pictures; the photo in the Summit catalog for 58190 is a CHEVY header) and the tube routing is different. Are they really that stupid, or is the difference in the tube length? Both use the same primary tube diameter.
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, I know there's no difference - heck, I'm the one who's been preaching it. This still begs the question, WHY does Hedman now list two different part numbers? I checked the photos of the two different sets (hint, go to the Hedman catalog for accurate pictures; the photo in the Summit catalog for 58190 is a CHEVY header) and the tube routing is different. Are they really that stupid, or is the difference in the tube length? Both use the same primary tube diameter.
Hi Joe - yeah, that is exactly why I asked the question. I went to hedmans site and saw the same thing. It looks like there are definite differences between the Cutlass and Cutlass Supreme-only models. Yet, every Hedman dealer (including Summit) charges much more for the Supreme-only version.

I think I may just go get a set of Hookers and solve the question of whether or not to spend extra for the Supreme-only Hedmans.

EDIT: Just realized how that last statement sounded. Please add the word "headers" directly after the word "Hookers".

Last edited by Mark71; August 1st, 2011 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Realized how that sounded