Fan shroud

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Fan shroud

Awhile back I noticed the fan shroud was broken off on the bottom side. Then today as I was tweaking the carb, I noticed that it might have been broken intentionally to accomodate the fan on the replacement motor. The car is a '72 Cutlass supreme, the swapped motor is from a '73 Omega (350). Should this motor fit without clearance issues, or did '73 motors have a bigger fan? Are the shrouds the same for '72 and '73? Another surprise discovery on this mystery mobile...... Chumley
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chumley
Awhile back I noticed the fan shroud was broken off on the bottom side. Then today as I was tweaking the carb, I noticed that it might have been broken intentionally to accomodate the fan on the replacement motor. The car is a '72 Cutlass supreme, the swapped motor is from a '73 Omega (350). Should this motor fit without clearance issues, or did '73 motors have a bigger fan? Are the shrouds the same for '72 and '73? Another surprise discovery on this mystery mobile...... Chumley
The Omega is an X-body, the Cutlass is an A-body. The shrouds are likely different. Having said that, the blocks are the same, so if the swap was done correctly, there should be no issue with fan placement in the shroud.
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Thanks Joe, I believe it was only the engine that was replaced. The shroud is from the Cutlass as far as I know. Any way to identify it? There is at least a good inch of space between the fan blade and the curved part of the shroud. Maybe the shroud just got broken at some point, but it looks that if the round part continued on the bottom, the blade might hit it. ( hard to tell just looking from the top) I'll probably just replace it at any rate.

Chumley