factory air valve

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2012 | 07:30 PM

factory air valve

ok.. here goes, maybe another dumb question..on my intake manifold I have a thing that is called a factory air valve.. could someone explain what the purpose of this is and what it does... I took the A/C out of the car...do I need this for the heater to work also or can I get rid of it...I have no A/C.. but want the heater to work...
Old March 10th, 2012 | 08:11 PM
Oldsdruid

If it's at the rear passenger side of the intake, that's the hot water valve. It allows coolant flow to the heater, so yes, to keep your heater you need it. Most years it stays open in all control positions except MAX A/C, so even without vacuum going to it, it should stay open and allow hot water circulation thru the core.

Either that or get one of the heater-only car nipples. Those have a restriction in them to keep from overpressurizing the heater core.
Old March 10th, 2012 | 08:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

First: I have no knowledge of any part of any Oldsmobile being called a "factory air valve."

Would it be possible for you to describe this valve and its location, or perhaps post a picture, so that we can be sure we are discussing the right thing?

Second: My Wild-A Guess is that you are talking about the vacuum hot water valve, which is screwed into a roughly ¾" diameter hole (½" pipe thread) in the passenger side rear of the intake manifold in cars equipped with A/C.

If this is the case, then this valve stops the flow of hot water through the heater core when the heater temperature control is set to the maximum "Cold" setting or when the mode control is set to "Max A/C" (this may vary a bit in different years).
One common aftermarket manufacturer of these valves is a company called "Factory Air," which makes run-of-the-mill replacement heat and A/C components for a wide variety of cars and years.

You do not need this valve for the heater to work, but you do need it for the heater not to work. You may wish to consider keeping it, as it can be used to turn off the heat on the hottest days, which may be useful to you.

- Eric
Old March 11th, 2012 | 12:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Debra,

No need to upload pictures.

If it looks like this:

then it's the one I'm talking about.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Heat Valve.jpg (21.3 KB, 39 views)
Old March 11th, 2012 | 02:08 PM

Is "factory air" spelled out on it? If so then it is a replacement part. "Factory air" was subname of a parts line by Four Seasons sold at Pep Boys (and other places) a while back.
The water valve is a common part and is on the manifold.

Now there is a such thing as an "air valve" but it is the big recirculating door mounted in the right kickpanel and cowl.