Exhaust Question: Flowmaster? Magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM

Exhaust Question: Flowmaster? Magnaflow?

Hey guys, I recently just bought a '72 Cutlass S, that was completely redone, but the exhaust system isn't a flowmasters or maganflow. Just stock, and while it sounds good, I'm wondering if Flowmasters would sound better? My guess would be yes, but I'm not really experienced with exhaust systems. However, the car has been perfect thus far, no problems. Would a new exhaust system affect any other part of the car for any particular reason that you know of? I spent a pretty penny on this car, and I would hate to see me cause problems by paying $250-350 for a better sounding exhaust system in. Thanks, Mike.
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM

A flowmaster system would not only sound better, but it increases performance. I had Flowmasters on a different car and it made a big difference. Buy the kit from Year One or OPGI and do it yourself....it's easy.
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:27 PM

thank you for responding so quickly. Roughly how much horse power do you think a flowmaster exhaust would add? Like 10-20 or so?
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM

I've seen tests that show up to 30 extra HP....although I wouldn't count on it. The general rule is that if you can feel it "by the seat of your pants" it's about 10 to 15.

Also, the Flowmaster exhaust with headers will make an even bigger improvement.
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:38 PM

On a V8 look looking at about 10 hp increase, if you throw headers in the mix, you could be looking at around 20 to 30 more horses.

Flowmaster is better. Since it's chambered, it will give a little bit of backpressure and increase HP, the magnaflow is a stright-thru and hp numbers will drop.

I myself proved this. With a straight-thru on my Alero, the car ran 15.6 in the 1/4 mile, with a flowmaster 80 and a little bit hotter of a day, it ran 15.2
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM

Thanks for quick responses guys! Well good I'm definitely going to have to go with the Flowmasters then for sure. Right now its at 310 horse approx. so with any kind of luck after i get this flowmasters on, it will sound better and have roughly 320-335 horse thanks guys!
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Hmmmm Sorry if this is a dumb question, but judging by you're guyss info A pair of Glasspacks on a 86 Olds wouldnt help its performance would they? If anything Hinder it?

A while back I started mentioning I was going to start a rebuild on my Olds. Due to insufficient funds I had to re-plan for spring. So Im looking to get some work done pretty soon.
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM

^^ Well you're going to hear 2 stories on that one.

Glasspack or straighthru's will increase exhaust gas velocity and a chambered like a Flowmaster will make backpressure, these are both 100% true

However you'll hear stories on how both will increase HP. Personally I think a flowmaster or other chambered muffler is your best bet. You want backpressure, you can reduce it to mkae HP but you don't wanna totally do away with it.

My Alero gained .3 in the 1/4 mile with a Flowmaster, before I had on one of those chrome ricey mufflers that you'd see on eBay. Granted it was a cheap muffler, but the Flowmaster is better, plus that sound
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:24 PM

What Im looking for is a nice sound. I've read that Glasspacks have a pretty Muscly sound to them which is what I'm looking for.

If I were to install these and lose all that backpressure from having just the strait pipe, How much of a difference do you think I would "feel" from doing so?

Im not going to be timing my records or anything, so .6 to .2 wouldnt really make much difference to me. But say I was just driving down the road, would I feel a massive difference? or would it be the same just with a much louder sound?

Thanks for the help!
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM

Well if your not really looking for performance and more for sound, Glasspacks are your best bet. Probably as close to 'no' muffler as you can get.

You will feel a difference and the sound will be there, but the more you do to the exhasut in the future, the more sound and louder it will be
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM

You can't beat Flowmasters for performance and sound...
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:32 PM

What model flowmasters would I be looking at for best sound/performance? for an 86 Cutlass? or does it just depend on the diameter pipe?
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:30 AM

there are lots of choices when it comes to oldsmobile exhaust that you can install. I personally like Flowmasters, it does help boosts cars' performance and it sounds really good.