Exhaust Leaks

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2020, 10:00 AM

Exhaust Leaks

Hi,
My '70 Cutlass Supreme has the stock manifolds fed into a Pypes dual x-pipe system. The crossover pipe was cut and capped (factory single exhaust) and downpipes go to the Pypes system which is welded at the connections from the crossmember to the mufflers. Unfortunately, the shop I used last year isn't a good one but found that out the hard way. I noticed some noise upon coming to a light recently and decided to check out the pipe connections. The welds are not pretty, some small bits of filler rod was even left behind and there are 2-3 connections which have small leaks, slightly larger than pinhole sized. Additionally, both exhaust flanges where the downpipes meets the manifold are leaking.

Are there ways to fix this myself or is this something a new shop would have to address?

What are the consequences of having these exhaust leaks, will it do any damage?
Old January 26th, 2020, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Hi,
My '70 Cutlass Supreme has the stock manifolds fed into a Pypes dual x-pipe system. The crossover pipe was cut and capped (factory single exhaust) and downpipes go to the Pypes system which is welded at the connections from the crossmember to the mufflers. Unfortunately, the shop I used last year isn't a good one but found that out the hard way. I noticed some noise upon coming to a light recently and decided to check out the pipe connections. The welds are not pretty, some small bits of filler rod was even left behind and there are 2-3 connections which have small leaks, slightly larger than pinhole sized. Additionally, both exhaust flanges where the downpipes meets the manifold are leaking.

Are there ways to fix this myself or is this something a new shop would have to address?

What are the consequences of having these exhaust leaks, will it do any damage?
It depends on how good of a welder you are. If you're reasonable, grind off the bad parts and re-weld. It's probably best to fix it correctly. Some people might just let it leak, but it's not the best way to go. Exhaust fumes are poisonous; if you get enough of it, it can kill you or give you a headache. It can erode parts. Those leaks at the manifolds are at bolted connections. Even if you can't weld you should be able to fix those.
Old January 26th, 2020, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Exhaust system sealer, comes in a tube. This or something like it.