Edelbrock 3711 fitting sizes

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2014, 12:35 PM

Edelbrock 3711 fitting sizes

Hey Guys,

Can someone who has an Edelbrock 3711 Performer please let me know what fittings they used in the ports? Stock fittings and elbows for vacuum connections do not fit so I have to replace with brass or pick up some reducers. I plugged 2 ports that I do not need with 1/2" plugs from Summit but the remaining ports are a pain. I'm not very familiar with NPT, AN, IF, etc fitting sizes but when I dial in the micrometer, there is a variance between the reading on the dial and the actual fitting purchased. 5/16" seems to fit nicely but that size has a hose end too large for the vacuum lines so I'm back to the reducer idea. Just don't want to keep running back and forth. I have 3/8" pipe plugs that are too large for the ports so I've been told 3/8" is the fitting size but that's incorrect. Anyone know the correct sizes?
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Hey Guys,

Can someone who has an Edelbrock 3711 Performer please let me know what fittings they used in the ports? Stock fittings and elbows for vacuum connections do not fit so I have to replace with brass or pick up some reducers. I plugged 2 ports that I do not need with 1/2" plugs from Summit but the remaining ports are a pain. I'm not very familiar with NPT, AN, IF, etc fitting sizes but when I dial in the micrometer, there is a variance between the reading on the dial and the actual fitting purchased. 5/16" seems to fit nicely but that size has a hose end too large for the vacuum lines so I'm back to the reducer idea. Just don't want to keep running back and forth. I have 3/8" pipe plugs that are too large for the ports so I've been told 3/8" is the fitting size but that's incorrect. Anyone know the correct sizes?
I have the 2711 intake. I'm sure the holes are the same? Which ones are you referring too?
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:18 PM

I don't know the sizes right off since it was the mid-90s when I put one on my car, but I remember I didn't have any issues with the fittings. From what I remember, I used the original fittings in the brake booster, modulator, and AC reservoir vacuum ports; used the TCS to plug the passengers side front coolant port, put a temperature gauge in the drivers side front coolant port, and got a pipe plug from the hardware store to block the drivers rear coolant port.

I was just browsing through my picture archive and found this. See the fittings between the carb and the thermostat housing? Those are the ones you need. Are your original ones not like that?

manifold.jpg

Last edited by Fun71; February 11th, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:41 PM

Thanks Kenneth, the pic helps. We have some similarities and some differences too. The fittings you have in front of the carb are exactly what I took off my stock intake and those are the ones that don't fit into the ports on the runners. I plugged the same holes you did but I don't have a brake booster as they are manual drum brakes. Also the TCS solenoid is on a separate bracket for the '70. The '71/72 had it as part of the TVS tree so my TVS tree is in the front port of the intake. Looks like on mine, the brake booster port is a 3/8 IF fitting and I found one to fit and plugged it for the time being. The AC vacuum reservoir and tranny mod are the ports that had existing vacuum lines connected between the carb and the TCS solenoid. To use my stock fittings, I'll probably need bushings or reducers but wasn't sure of what size to get.

In the end, I may ditch the TCS solenoid and route vacuum from the port on the carb directly to the distributer advance to bypass that whole setup but I would still like to plug the unnecessary ports or utilize them, either way. 5/16" seems to be a good fit but I can't find any bushings or reducers that start at 5/16", at least not in my local shops. I may have to dig online for it.
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:00 PM

I'm surprised your original fittings aren't the right size - mine were (and that was on a '70 engine).

Also the TCS solenoid is on a separate bracket for the '70. The '71/72 had it as part of the TVS tree so my TVS tree is in the front port of the intake.
Sorry, I was referring to the TVS.

In the end, I may ditch the TCS solenoid and route vacuum from the port on the carb directly to the distributer advance to bypass that whole setup.
I did that on mine. Its whole purpose is to reduce emissions by preventing any vacuum advance until the engine is up to operating temperature and the trans is in high gear, and the byproduct of this is reduced performance.
Old March 11th, 2014, 07:32 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm having the exact same problem. I need reducers for the AC res and tranny modulator. How did you end up working it out? Do you remember the sizes? Was it 5/16"? Thanks.
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Hookers under Hood

Mac I had the same problem as well, I purchased I believe it was the ARP adapter plug and fitting kit from performance Improvements up in Canada, It also came with a couple brass fittings for the brake booster to intake. The kit worked out great. I forget the cost but If I can recall its was under $50.00 up here ! I also picked up an aluminum blue anodized heater pipe for the rear coolant passage that worked and looks ok.
Although my intake is the 2711 non egr , I eliminated the egr valve.

Last edited by 76olds; March 11th, 2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:43 AM

I was poking around under the hood last night and I realized that I do indeed have bushings on the trans modulator and brake booster fittings to adapt them to the correct size. Sorry for the incorrect info above from my foggy memory. I guess the thing I remember is it wasn't a big deal to find a couple of brass bushings at the local hardware store.
Old March 12th, 2014, 03:51 PM

Good info guys. Thanks. Seems everyone has different needs/outcomes. My brake booster fitting fits fine. I'll hit the hardware store tomorrow.