edebrock peformer or performer rpm?

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mp71conv
Its alot of information to take in ........
Take your time. Ask whatever questions you need to. As you can see, there are several of us that can answer them .

........ What other things will happen when I retard the cam?
Everything will happen 4° later, most importantly the closing of the intake valve, while the piston is moving up in the cylinder. This delay. allows less time/distance for the fuel/air mixture to be compressed.

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Yes it would.

4° of retard, would lower your effective CR.

I see you are learning, in spite of the trash.

Norm
Yeah, all the way down to 9.15, wow!! Still waaaaaay too high. Mp71conv, you either need another cam or lower static compression, and that means different heads or pistons. At what stage are you in this build?
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by captjim
........ On another matter, someone will have to convince me that these 2 statements made by Norm in this thread do not constitute internet bulling and how they encourage and promote the exchange of ideas in a fun, friendly environment.

"If you dare question that opinion, I will launch the "mother of all personal attacks" which will get you "banned" from this site."

" Wireman: If you cannot stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."
Your "ignore button" is broken.

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Engine still at machine shop. I have the cam already.
Now Im confused. you said 9.15 is still too high. I thought i wouldnt have a problem till 10.5?
Looking at the factory specs. The duration is low like this cam but the lift is much lower.
and all the pre 71 pistons were flat tops.
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM

........ you either need another cam or lower static compression ........
At the risk of repeating myself: Explain why.

Is this something that you must keep secret, or you not understand the purpose of this board?

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Engine still at machine shop. I have the cam already.
Now Im confused. you said 9.15 is still too high. I thought i wouldnt have a problem till 10.5?
Looking at the factory specs. The duration is low like this cam but the lift is much lower.
and all the pre 71 pistons were flat tops.
You are overlooking the fact that in the 70s, you could buy gas with an octane rating over 100, not true today, sadly. 9.15 is the dynamic Cr, not static. You static Cr is around 10 to 1 using a .040 gasket, pistons down .024 and 67 cc heads, but without exact measurements, it is impossible to say exactly. If any milling has been done to the heads or block, your Cr may be higher. In my opinion, and this is just my own belief, with older iron heads with their large, slow burning chambers, 9.5 to 1 is the practical static Cr limit, and 8.2 or so on the dynamic ratio.

" and all the pre 71 pistons were flat tops."
This is incorrect, most had a small dish in them.

Last edited by captjim; November 16th, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:32 AM

At the risk of repeating myself: Explain why.

Is this something that you must keep secret, or you not understand the purpose of this board?

Norm
Re-read post #37 in this thread. That cam will make the dynamic Cr too high with an older style head and today's fuels.
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM

........ you said 9.15 is still too high ........
9.15 is probably closer to "ideal" than 10, but either can work well, in most instances.

Your choice depends on what you want to accomplish. For most non competition applications, 9 to 9.5:1 CR with (iron heads) are best for use with pump gas.

........ I thought i wouldn't have a problem till 10.5? ........
My latest 468 is 11.9:1 and it runs fine on California's 91 octane, but unlike the "experts" I do not suggest that anyone do the same, unless they are, or know, a competent tuner.

........ all the pre 71 pistons were flat tops.
Not so. You should be looking at specs, not years or manufacturers.

Has your shop verified the heads/block dimensions yet? Particular interest, is the deck height as it is a factor in the choice of pistons?

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM

I just realized that I used the wrong cam in my calculations. He did not give a part #, just said 219 @ .050. I thought he was referring to the intake. But from his other thread I see he meant the 60801 which is 213 @ .050 on the intake. Now he is REALLY too small on the cam.
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM

You are overlooking the fact that in the 70s, you could buy gas with an octane rating over 100, not true today ........
What does this have to do with anything?

........ 9.15 is the dynamic Cr, not static ........
Not what you said. We can assume it to be a clerical error.

........ this is just my own belief ........
Your opinion?

........ with older iron heads with their large, slow burning chambers, 9.5 to 1 is the practical static Cr limit ........
The key word, here, is practical.

........ and 8.2 or so on the dynamic ratio ........
According to the following:

........ PM me if you like and I will give you a recommendation on a cam that I think will work better for you ........
10:1 mechanical CR can be turned in to 8.2:1 effective CR, with a simple cam change.

Which is it?

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM

........ Now he is really too small on the cam.
Tell us (in your opinion) what cam he should be using, with his 10:1 CR, and why (in your opinion) he should use it.

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Ok I am going to see if they wiil take the cam back for another ( it is unopened so that should not be a problem).
Ill look at there stock performance ones. They have one that is 232int 232 ex.
480 lift int 480 lift ex. 113 lsa
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Re-read post #37 in this thread. That cam will make the dynamic Cr too high with an older style head and today's fuels.
Where does it tell us how a "high performance" cam will lower the cylinder pressure?

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Ok I am going to see if they wiil take the cam back for another ( it is unopened so that should not be a problem).
Ill look at there stock performance ones. They have one that is 232int 232 ex.
480 lift int 480 lift ex. 113 lsa
I have a suggestion, my last on this topic. Measure everything, then determine the true compression ratio of this engine. Call a professional builder/vendor and get their recommendation on a cam. Ask them if the 60801 is a good choice or not with the rest of your combo and the measured compression ratio that you have. Please get back to us with the results so that we can all learn. I would love to find that I am mistaken and that the cam you have will work great in your engine. I am including a link that I wrote explaining how I go about a project, hope it helps. PM me if you like and I will give you my phone # and will be glad to chat and help you in any way if I can, Jim
http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36717

Norm, I'm done taking your bait, have a lovely day there in SoCal!
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM

........ Measure everything, then determine the true compression ratio of this engine ........
What good would that do, if the pistons are to be replaced?

........ Call a professional builder/vendor and get their recommendation on a cam ........
What a novel approach. Most people would call a cam grinder for advice on a cam choice.

........ I am including a link that I wrote explaining how I go about a project http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36717 ........
And the following, only addresses a few of its many inaccuracies. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/44739-post4.html

As always, I am ready and able to answer any, and all, questions regarding anything I post.

I'm done taking your bait ........
It is not a small stretch, from a simple question to "bait", but the statement itself tends to reinforce my opinion, regarding BS artists.

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Cam moron speaks out

Hey guys he's starting a new thread "Let's start over"

Since I am a cam moron, I think I should add my 2 cents here.

Wouldn't it be easier/better for him to start anew w/o purchasing a cam and first get his shop to help him measure everything to see what he's got. I mean the car could [or could not have] had some machine work done to it.

Just MHO

first things first

Gather the facts.

Isn't that what you guys would do before you made any decision?

Sorry to butt in
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Did I not just state that in my last post?

........ Call a professional builder/vendor and get their recommendation on a cam ........
What a novel approach. Most people would call a cam grinder for advice on a cam choice.

The reason I like to use a builder is that they have dealt with the end product and a competent one will have a very good idea of what has worked well in the past. Most have proven combos that they like, ones that they know will perform well in a given circumstance. In most cases, the builder will call his own grinder, get one ground to the specs that they like for the application. By dealing with the builder, you can then go back to him with questions or advice, if needed.

........ Measure everything, then determine the true compression ratio of this engine ........
What good would that do, if the pistons are to be replaced?

Because it might be better to replace the cam, especially if he intends on a gear and converter swap. But in reality, you don't want an answer, you just want to prolong the nonsense.

I'm done taking your bait ........
It is not a small stretch, from a simple question to "bait", but the statement itself tends to reinforce my opinion, regarding BS artists.

You can call me a "BS artist", that's fine. I build and race Oldsmobiles, I work at a machine shop part time and have access to a couple of really smart guys. I come on these forums to have fun, learn new things, and try to help other guys, if I can. The same cannot be said for yourself. You take the fun out of it and suck the life from this board, it really is too bad.

Last edited by captjim; November 16th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
........ Wouldn't it be easier/better for him to start anew w/o purchasing a cam and first get his shop to help him measure everything to see what he's got. I mean the car could [or could not have] had some machine work done to it ........
That is normally how one would begin.

But many DYIs prefer to shoot themselves in the foot" by telling the shop what to do, instead of taking advantage of the experience that is looking them in the eye.

I am working (as we speak) on a new thread that will explain what captjim (and all his "credentials") cannot.

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Jim and Jamesbo, getting the specs hammered out first is a good idea.

Also, Capt Jim.

To properly quote yourself or another poster on the board, once you hit the quote button you must leave the html info in the brackets at the beginning of the text box, then leave the wording that you wish to keep, and finish the last line of the text box with: [/QUOTE]

visual example:

[QUOTEcaptjim######] Texttextquotequote [/QUOTE]

Hope this helps.
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
........ getting the specs hammered out first is a good idea ........
It is about as basic as one can get.

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Sorry, I spend my time actually working on cars, and have not mastered the internet or computers. My bad.
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Dang..... I'm just trying to be helpful, not a jerk. Proper quotes will make your information more easily understood, thus getting your valid points across more efficiently.
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Did I not just state that in my last post? ........
Yes you did.

Did my reply go over your head?

It did remind me of another that I missed:

On another matter, someone will have to convince me that these 2 statements made by Norm in this thread do not constitute internet bulling and how they encourage and promote the exchange of ideas in a fun, friendly environment.

"If you dare question that opinion, I will launch the "mother of all personal attacks" which will get you "banned" from this site." ........
Went right over your head, didn't it.
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
........ Proper quotes will make your information more easily understood, thus getting your valid points across more efficiently.
He already knows how.

Like any "BS artist" he does not want to be clear. Proper coding would make it too easy everyone to catch on to his childish games, and it would leave that pesky blue arrow, so everyone would be able to read the post, in its original context.

His rude reply is just another tool used by a "BS artist" in any similar situation.

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM

........ I spend my time actually working on cars ........
Mine do not need any work, because I do it right the first time.

........ and have not mastered the internet or computers ........
That would be why you have not mastered your "ignore button"? And why you cannot answer simple questions about your own statements?

But you do seem to have plenty of time to flame anyone (and/or trash an entire thread) who asks a question that you cannot answer.

Isn't it interesting that I am ready and willing (if not eager) to answer any and all questions pertaining to my own posts.

How can it be, that, with few exceptions, my statements are never challenged.

Could it be that (in spite of my lack of "credentials" I might have reasonable cause to challenge yours? Maybe, that you have based your "opinion" in on some misinformation you have acquired? No, that cannot be possible.

Or did it occur to you, that I might be looking for some knowledge you have that I do not have?

Also not possible, because, according to you, and your minions, I already know everything there is to know, and my only purpose here, is to torture captjim.

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM

Found an interesting statement, while working on my new thread.

........ Let's say I want a SBO premium octane weekend warrior, but I want it to idle and have good street manners. So, I am going to target a 9.7-9.8 Cr ........
Isn't 9.8 getting dangerously close to 10:1?

Norm
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM

http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html
This some good information and some specs
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:45 AM

Looks like it is. I'll know, when I have time to read all of it.

Good to see you are searching on sites other than forums. Shows you are one who can think for himself.

Norm
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:22 AM

That article was a link I provided him in post # 37 of this thread, glad you found it useful. Hope it helps explain why I think the cam would be too small for your application.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Well I did not know all the points to look at when getting a cam.
I learn something new all the time.
But it does seem to be that it is not just the duration but
the degree after bottom center that the intake closes.
And the cam is at the mid 30's. That is not good.
And it make sense to me. so off to get a different one.
Thanks to all
I will keep everone up to date on what happens.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Thanks to all
I would either go for a Harold grind (from an Olds vendor or Harold directly), or call Bill Trovato. Those guys know what they are doing.

Last edited by 83hurstguy; November 17th, 2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Thanks to all
"I learn something new all the time."

Don't we all? That is part of the fun, when we stop learning, it isn't nearly as exciting.

Last edited by captjim; November 17th, 2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Senior Moment

Maybe Jokers69 will be able to answer it for us.
I'm only qualified to comment on what's in my car, which works well for what I do with it. My parts were recommended by an engine builder whom I trust. But I'm sure you would have some better way to do it.

Adios..
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jokers69
I'm only qualified to comment on what's in my car ........
In other words, you cannot answer the question?

........ But I'm sure you would have some better way to do it ........
Because I asked a simple question?

A question that captjim would, trash an entire thread, just to avoid answering?

Norm
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
I would either go for a Harold grind (from an Olds vendor or Harold directly) ........
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...wreply&p=50285

........ Call Terry at (402) 596-1800. He works closely with the guy (Harold) that designed that profile, and can tell you the optimum CR, and converter, to use with it ........
Norm
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM

And I wouldn't order it from Terry... if you can get him to return a call you are lucky, let alone ship parts out. He's a nice guy, but his business has been on a pretty bad slide.

Call Rocket Racing or Smitty... or go directly to Harold.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM

That article was a link I provided him in post # 37 ........
Yes it is.

My response to it, was in post #53.

Where does it tell us how a "high performance" cam will lower the cylinder pressure? ........
Norm
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
........ if you can get him to return a call you are lucky, let alone ship parts out ........
Thanks, I was not aware of that.

Norm
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Moment

In other words, you cannot answer the question?

Because I asked a simple question?

A question that captjim would, trash an entire thread, just to avoid answering?

Norm
you trashed the thread big guy..

and, no, I cannot answer you question, so am I thrown off the island *******?
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM

........ no, I cannot answer you question ........
Thank you, for your honesty.

Norm

Quick Reply: edebrock peformer or performer rpm?