Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM

Couple questions

OK first is has anyone ever heard of gutting out your thermostat and are there any benefits to doing this.

Second as far as my water neck goes on the olds engine is there anyway i can use a chevy one so there will be no second tube coming off the water neck you know the one that goes to the water pump. And could i just take a hose and go from one hole on the water pump to the other one making a "U" shape to by pass that. Is that making any sense i think i confused my self. I dont have any ac on the car or heat so i dont need them other holes that are on the water pump right.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Registered

Isn't that hose off the water neck a thermostat bypass? Where would the water pump pressure go with the thermostat closed? I've seen bypass hoses going from the water pump heater hose outlet to the heater hose fitting or valve on the back of the manifold, even seen both capped. I can't remember ever seeing that bypass eliminated? Maybe if you don't run a thermostat but that can cause other problems like overheating, and maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

A chebby part on an Olds could cause some sort of cosmic reaction and possibly start a fire.

Last edited by Bluevista; March 22nd, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1973oldsomega
gutting out your thermostat and are there any benefits to doing this.

Second as far as my water neck goes on the olds engine is there anyway i can use a chevy one so there will be no second tube coming off the water neck you know the one that goes to the water pump. And could i just take a hose and go from one hole on the water pump to the other one making a "U" shape to by pass that. Is that making any sense i think i confused my self. I dont have any ac on the car or heat so i dont need them other holes that are on the water pump right.
"gutting thermostat" is like making it open all the time.
'benefits" Water should have time to cool (radiator) then cycle into the block to cool motor. If it was open all the time you running hot water all the time. No time of the water to cool.
The bypass that you are thing of removing does have some worm water cycling through intake and back to the block. I think to help cerulate the water in the block, on a small volume much like you are probably thinking removing the thermostat will help.
"U" shape, you could just cap them off. But doing that you will be removing your heater core, and defrost.
This all comes up once and a while do a search for thermostats and check other treads.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM

I have tried both of those modifications. First, removing the center of the thermostat is OK if you only use the car in mild or hot weather, when the engiine can warm itself up easily. The reason the thermostat closes is to help the engine warm up in cold weather. You will get poor drivability and sludge formation from extensive running of the engine cold. Second, I have deleted the bypass and the engine gets hot faster and is harder to keep to a reasonable running temperature in hot weather. Leave the bypass in. You can cap off the unused water pump port. The best way is to tap it 3/8 or 1/2 NPT and use a pipe plug, but to keep shavings out of the water pump this is best done with the pump off the car. You could use a plug of grease inside the port if you just have to do it on the car.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM

Ok i talked to my dad and he gave me the same answers you guys did. I am not going to gut my thermostat i just asked that because my buddy gutted his i told him he shouldnt but he didnt listen so we will see how his engine runs huh, its a chevy 350 anyways so let him do it huh. now as far as the waterneck goes i will be using the olds waterneck and just blocking off the other one that was for the heater, i just didnt want to have a hose going across the top of my engine that didnt need to be there. Thanks for the help guys i appreciate it. Oh yeah im going to block off that hole with a hose block off or something like that and then just clamp it on there has anyone heard of these hose caps that just get a clamp over them my dad was telling me about them.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
........ The reason the thermostat closes is to help the engine warm up ........
And to control the operating temperature by modulating the coolant flow. A 140 stat should keep it about 140°, a 180 at 180°, etc.

Gutting or removing the stat, in a properly designed system, will keep engine temps too low.

Norm