Couple carb/throttle questions

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2014 | 08:28 AM

Couple carb/throttle questions

So, I have a couple more small things I need to get figured out before I can get my ride running.
So far I have had a ton of help in regards to the wiring and potential exhaust for the future.

This time around - carburetor connections, throttle cable, and transmission kick-down.....
This is a 67' Cutlass Supreme with the original 2-speed auto transmission and 330 V8. It has an Edelbrock Performer air intake, as well as a QuickFuel Black Diamond SS carburetor.

I am not sure how I could set up the transmission kick down, as originally, I believe it operated a lever which had a housing located on the air intake (the Edelbrock does not have a provision for such housing). Any advice?

Also, I noticed in my engine tear down that I managed to bend the throttle cable/linkage.
Is there a decent replacement? I could adjust the threads on my stock linkage to make things line up right, but I do not want to re-use the bent arm.

Attached are a couple photos I have taken of the carburetor, as well as of the intake manifold.

Throttle side of carb:
05201419381_zps212e84e7.jpg

Kick-down side of carb:
0520141937_zps20dad157.jpg

Intake manifold:
0425141858a_zps285c9433.jpg

Picture of the original set-up:
0118141557_zps40d705e1.jpg

Any and all help could be appreciated. Right now to be honest, I am unsure of how to hook up most connections to the carburetor. I think the brass nozzle is the fuel inlet, would that seem right? The carb pictured in their instructions does not have the same brass nozzle....
Old June 12th, 2014 | 09:36 AM

" I think the brass nozzle is the fuel inlet, would that seem right?"
====================

Yes I agree. You may do well to recruit a mentor or guide to help in person.

As for the trans kickdown, it is NOT that little box on the RH [passenger side, not the observer's RH side as they face backwards] side of the intake.... The trans switch pitch and kickdown are controlled by that big squarish switch at the firewall end of the throttle rod.

Which of course you know from perusing the Chassis Service Manual for your car, right? It is available free now....

So, as long as you can leave that intact and modify the rod to suit your carb, and the range of travel is carefully matched... your new carb should not interfere with the kickdown and/or switch pitch features.

I don't see any terribly bent carb parts, nor anything easily replaced if it was bent. Bend it back, and live with it?
Old June 12th, 2014 | 11:29 AM

Thanks for confirming the fuel inlet on the carb.
I wish I had someone to work on cars with here in Tallahassee. I moved here less than a year ago, all of my car friends are over 1000 miles away now
I am really confused regarding the trans to carb connection. What is the metal line which runs vaccuum from the auto-trans to the carb? (That is what I thought was my trans kick-down)
Old June 12th, 2014 | 11:45 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by CarCrazyChemist
What is the metal line which runs vaccuum from the auto-trans to the carb? (That is what I thought was my trans kick-down)
The vacuum line goes to the vacuum modulator, which regulates shifting based on load.

The kickdown on a Jetaway (and on a TH400) is electrical.

- Eric
Old June 12th, 2014 | 11:53 AM

Thanks for clearing up what that line is!
I take it then, my trans kickdown would be related to the wiring on the driver's side, which connects to the transmission as well as the two connections off to the side of the base of the throttle linkage?