Country of origin of Comp Cams valve train parts?

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Country of origin of Comp Cams valve train parts?

Wondering where the valve springs, retainers etc. are sourced from. Do they make their won in memphis or outsource to another country.

I've been hearing rumors about Chi-Com push rods, etc.
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:09 AM

I have a Comp Cams roller in my 425. The whole set up is from them except the pushrods. They have had a bad reputation for years. Always used Smith Brothers in the past, but am using Manton in the engine.
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

This engine had an older Comp Cams 252H cam in it and I kinda smiled when I saw the "CWC" foundry mark on the cam... my '56 Hemi block and heads also have that mark. It's from one of Chrysler's foundries.

I read an article from Hot Rod recently about a Mustang that had some engine problems that they reported on. The "brand X" cam, as they called it, was ground on a Ford blank but with some wild SBC ramps and it caused the bad mojo "harmonics" that led to parts failure.

What I noticed in one photo was a snapped pushrod with laser etching that looked suspiciously like a Comp Cams pushrod with etching...

I have Smith Bros. parts in my early Hemi and I guess they will get the call again.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by krooser
I read an article from Hot Rod recently about a Mustang that had some engine problems that they reported on. The "brand X" cam, as they called it, was ground on a Ford blank but with some wild SBC ramps and it caused the bad mojo "harmonics" that led to parts failure.

What I noticed in one photo was a snapped pushrod with laser etching that looked suspiciously like a Comp Cams pushrod with etching...
Not sure how using a SBC lobe profile on a Ford core will create harmonics, it's done all the time. If it's a Berco and not a CnC'd lobe then it will grow going from a SBC to a SBF because of the larger journals on the Ford that's all. Example, if you have a SBC lobe profile that's 224@.050, then when you put in on a SBF core it'll probably be about 226@.050 when it's finished.

If you saw a bad pushrod then my bet would be that's where the harmonics may have come from, not the cam grind.
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:30 PM

I recently destroyed a cam during the first day of road use. And I baby my cars. I was driving the vehicle and it started having what appeared to be timing issues at 40 mph. I limped the vehicle home and tore it apart to find three of the lobes were almost completely flat and a few others were significantly damaged. It was after this incident I heard grumblings mentioning the infamous chinese parts with name brands on them.
So, Where are Comp Cams made? Anyone know.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
I recently destroyed a cam during the first day of road use.
When was the cam purchased?
My guess is wrong springs or interference, incorrect lube/oil, and/or improper break in procedure. Most all of the flat tappet cores are american made these days. However the lifters may be another story, what brand were they?
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:37 PM

The incident occurred three years ago using a comp cam in a pretty standard/slightly modified SBC. Using your reasoning (improper break-in, excessive rpms and no zinc additive), it was relatively easy to convince the shop owner that it was in his best interest to make things right. The machine shop went along with the same suggestions when I mentioned valve springs and valve adjustments. The cool thing was, the machine shop wouldn't allow the auto shop owner to start the truck. The auto shop put the motor in and the machine shop sent two guys over to start the truck and break in the motor. Surprisingly, everything work out.

I thought by farming out the engine install I would both, save myself some time (I work long hours at my job) and get professional results ( I don't install motors every weekend). My mistake! I now do pretty much everything myself.

So, you're saying all cams are made in america?
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
The incident occurred three years ago using a comp cam in a pretty standard/slightly modified SBC. Using your reasoning (improper break-in, excessive rpms and no zinc additive), it was relatively easy to convince the shop owner that it was in his best interest to make things right. The machine shop went along with the same suggestions when I mentioned valve springs and valve adjustments. The cool thing was, the machine shop wouldn't allow the auto shop owner to start the truck. The auto shop put the motor in and the machine shop sent two guys over to start the truck and break in the motor. Surprisingly, everything work out.

I thought by farming out the engine install I would both, save myself some time (I work long hours at my job) and get professional results ( I don't install motors every weekend). My mistake! I now do pretty much everything myself.

So, you're saying all cams are made in america?
No disrespect but did I say all cams are made in america? No I did not, I said most.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 20th, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Just spoke to Smith Bros. and it looks like they will get my push rod business... and Isky has the valve springs and retainers I need. The locks I got from my cam guy.
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:48 PM

Seems you went shopping at a department store.
If you like give me a shout on the next one, I can probably get you everything in one package.

And don't believe the magazines when it comes to certain things, they will always make sure the companies that advertise the most get the best/most press.
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Seems you went shopping at a department store.
If you like give me a shout on the next one, I can probably get you everything in one package.

And don't believe the magazines when it comes to certain things, they will always make sure the companies that advertise the most get the best/most press.
I have used Smith Bros. in the past in my Ford circle track stuff... and they can supply a restricted pushrod which I think would be prudent.

I haven't opened my wallet for anything except the cam so you are still in the running....

I need springs with a seat pressure of about 125# and an open pressure of around 330#...+ or -. I prefer the stock 1.430 diameter in a single spring if possible... duals will be OK, too. 1.6 or 1.7 installed height (I can shim to fit the 1.7's). Some tracks frown on dual springs. These are kinda hard to find... Schneider and Isky are two who offer them. Don't want to cut the heads for larger diameter springs if I don't have to. There are plenty on 1.550 springs out there...

I also need 7 degree steel retainers. And custom length restricted push rods (won't know the length until everything else is put together). I have 7 degree tool steel locks.

The advertising deal is one reason I haven't used Comp Cams... big magazine stories don't impress me too much.

I used a couple of Comp Cams cams when they were pretty new in the biz... late 70's IIRC. They worked OK... no better or worse than the Engle I was running. But the best Ford cam I used came from Chet Herbert... out pulled 'em all and was a $39.00 regrind at that! Big magazine stories don't impress me too much...

Last edited by krooser; December 21st, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by krooser
I have used Smith Bros. in the past in my Ford circle track stuff... and they can supply a restricted pushrod which I think would be prudent.

I haven't opened my wallet for anything except the cam so you are still in the running....

I need springs with a seat pressure of about 125# and an open pressure of around 330#...+ or -. I prefer the stock 1.430 diameter in a single spring if possible... duals will be OK, too. 1.6 or 1.7 installed height (I can shim to fit the 1.7's).

I also need 7 degree steel retainers. And custom length restricted push rods (won't know the length until everything else is put together). I have 7 degree tool steel locks.

The advertising deal is one reason I haven't used Comp Cams... big magazine stories don't impress me too much.
You mean you can shim them to fit a 1.600 installed height, You had it backwards.

I have a double spring that's 1.435 od, has 115# at 1.700 and doesn't bind till 1.050. You could install that at 1.650 and get what you're looking for and it'll be 335# at 1.150.

Let me know.
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:18 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
You mean you can shim them to fit a 1.600 installed height, You had it backwards.

I have a double spring that's 1.435 od, has 115# at 1.700 and doesn't bind till 1.050. You could install that at 1.650 and get what you're looking for and it'll be 335# at 1.150.

Let me know.
1.6-1.7... That's what I meant but what I mean and say don't always agree! Ask my wife!

Going to try to get most of this stuff together in January so I can have an assembled engine NLT April...

Now I have another engine to deal with... the CAT in my Peterbilt appears to be leaking coolant into the combustion chambers... got an appointment at my engine shop on the 26th... this won't be cheap!

I will let you know about all this stuff...