coolant pouring out of radiator cap hole when started..

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM

coolant pouring out of radiator cap hole when started..

I think it's the water pump or the gasket, I bought a cheapo refurbished one that came with a cork gasket which got soggy as soon as i put some rtv on it. I just want to be 100 percent before I rip it all off again...

Now that my car is finally all put back together, there has to be problems right?

The head gaskets were changed and properly done this summer, so I dont think they're blown. No coolant in my oil or anything like that.

When I started up the car, I was keeping the radiator cap off since I just put on a new water pump and was letting the air bubbles come out. It overheats super fast at idle and the coolant comes out of the hole, I'm guessing it's not circulating properly?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:05 PM

also, theres a low "whurring" sound coming from somewhere in the front of the motor. bad bearing maybe?
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Sometimes those refurbished pumps don't have the fan pressed onto the shaft deep enough, and they rub on the timing cover. you have to check for this with a straight edge before you install. Sometimes they press it on too far, and the fan blades hit the water pump casting. Also, there are 2 different gaskets, so make sure that you used the correct type, and the coolant is flowing correctly.
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Could be that the pump is just poorly built as well. Grab a cordless drill and spin the water pump it by itself to see if it isolates the noise.
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

You may have an air pocket in the block... try filling the block with coolant thru the water outlet then install the t-stat and outlet. Or bleed the air out by removing one heater hose that's ABOVE the engine and burp it.
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Could be that the pump is just poorly built as well. Grab a cordless drill and spin the water pump it by itself to see if it isolates the noise.
I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks. BTW that pulley was a perfect match and this headache is finally over (except for the pump)
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by krooser
You may have an air pocket in the block... try filling the block with coolant thru the water outlet then install the t-stat and outlet. Or bleed the air out by removing one heater hose that's ABOVE the engine and burp it.

Through the intake? And my upper radiator hose goes to that outlet if its the one you're talking about..so I would just remove it from the intake and burp it that way?
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM

Got a photo of this water pump, or a casting ID?

I hear what sounds like a reverse rotation WP [yes they exist for the Olds V8] was inadvertently installed.

Does the inlet nipple from the lower radiator hose go into the WPcenter ABOVE or BELOW the centerline?
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Got a photo of this water pump, or a casting ID?

I hear what sounds like a reverse rotation WP [yes they exist for the Olds V8] was inadvertently installed.

Does the inlet nipple from the lower radiator hose go into the WPcenter ABOVE or BELOW the centerline?
It's a GMB pump, 130-1260.

Amazon Amazon

Excuse my rookie-ness, I really dont know what you mean as far as the radiator hose part goes..
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by EightyEightCut
It's a GMB pump, 130-1260.

http://www.amazon.com/GMB-130-1260-R...art/B000P4UC3Q

Excuse my rookie-ness, I really dont know what you mean as far as the radiator hose part goes..

Photos time...
A box number or store's part number doesn't help, if they put the wrong casting into the box and sent it out. Far stranger things than that have happened. Need ID's off the actual pump, and/or photos of it.

Overheating right away happened to me ONCE- adopted a project from my brother. Jeep. New engine. Dolt brother put a serpentine drive WP on a v-belt drive motor, because he failed to heed the giant bright orange sheet in the box stating it is for serpentine drive motors only.

Last edited by Octania; February 9th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Photos time...

I'll do it tomorrow when I head out there and start toying with it