Coolant Bypass Hose

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2020, 02:25 PM

Coolant Bypass Hose

Hi.
Took the Olds our for a nice drive on a blazing hot day and on the way home upon some hard acceleration, I noticed some bubbling from the corner of the hood. Turns out it was my coolant bypass hose had burst. It wasn’t a far drive so I got her home before temps got too high. I’m cleaning up now but can coolant do any damage to the engine bay? I used my compressor to blow out as much as I could after soaking up any standing coolant with shop towels. I’ve had a fan running also to try and dry her out. Normal temp range for my car is 210 with a 195 stat. Temps crept up to 230 by the time I got her home. Anything specific I should be aware of? This hose was an old one as it was on the engine when I got the car 7 years ago. It was one that I didn’t replace and now it’s live and learn.
Old July 26th, 2020, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Just replace the hose and you should be good to go.
Old July 26th, 2020, 03:17 PM

I try to rinse coolant off when that happens to me (and it has happened more times than I can recall on the multiple vehicles I have owned). I have seen the vehicle's exterior paint stained by coolant in the past.
Old July 26th, 2020, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I always enjoy your responses...just enough to make one feel a little better but still keep that element of fear alive.
Old July 26th, 2020, 03:23 PM

Simply because I want to share in my misery, here’s a shot of the hose. Happened to burst just at the right spot so the stream of coolant went straight into the fan for maximum flingage (technical term).

Old July 26th, 2020, 03:29 PM

Ah yes...the coolant hits the proverbial fan.
It will be fine, smell for a while though! Worst case belts may slip for a bit.

Good luck!!!
​​​​​
Old July 26th, 2020, 03:31 PM
Running On Empty

I'd take a garden hose and run water over the entire engine and the entire fan/shroud (e.g. everywhere) once the engine has cooled.
Old July 26th, 2020, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Simply because I want to share in my misery, here’s a shot of the hose. Happened to burst just at the right spot so the stream of coolant went straight into the fan for maximum flingage (technical term).
Isn't it fantastic when we all share?!?! We all get to learn new stuff together.

And I always appreciate learning the technical lingo I missed when reading the oh-so-dry Chassis Service Manual!

Last edited by BackInTheGame; July 26th, 2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old July 26th, 2020, 05:10 PM

can coolant do any damage to the engine bay?.
Probably wont do any damage but I would let the engine cool off and then just hose the entire engine compartment down to clean it off.
Old July 26th, 2020, 06:17 PM

I agree with rinsing things down to get rid of all that antifreeze . Afterward I use my leaf blower to get rid of most of the water to prevent unwanted water stains
Old July 26th, 2020, 06:33 PM

With the consensus being rinse it with water, should I wrap things like alternator, regulator, etc with plastic before rinsing? Obviously low pressure garden hose but what shouldn’t get wet?
Old July 26th, 2020, 06:48 PM
Running On Empty

It is not necessary to wrap anything. Don’t wash it so violently like you’re running it through a waterfall. You don’t have to spray directly into the generator and electrical components but they will NOT be harmed. Use some judicious thinking. These cars are capable of running without being babied. Think about this. You’re driving down an Interstate at 65 mph in a heavy rain. The entire engine gets wet. Spray it down and let it dry. I’ve washed many an engine in a car wash with a mild pressure spraying wand and many times with a garden hose.
Old July 26th, 2020, 07:25 PM

The only issue might be if water gets into the distributor then the engine may not fire until it dries out. That's about it.
Old July 26th, 2020, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I always enjoy your responses...just enough to make one feel a little better but still keep that element of fear alive.
Oldcutlass covered it beautifully.

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
These cars are capable of running without being babied.
Exactly

tgilligan our cars are extremely well built through and through, and absolutely not delicate. With regards to the hose and wipe down. Use either or were it makes sense.

A professional engine pressure wash requires that you plastic wrap the distributor and carburetor. I've had it done on several Oldsmobiles over the years. My 69s signature pic below is during such a session. I've never had an issue after an engine wash....

Old July 26th, 2020, 10:20 PM
Administrator

There is always that small chance that something could go wrong, thats why I posted the emphatic "should", Murphys Law plays a large part in my life.
Old July 26th, 2020, 11:24 PM

With the consensus being rinse it with water, should I wrap things like alternator, regulator, etc with plastic before rinsing? Obviously low pressure garden hose but what shouldn’t get wet?
I'd try to wash off the antifreeze wherever it landed. Some tends to get sticky when dried or almost dried. If the distributor or spark plug wires get wet, you'll likely have to completely dry them before trying to start it.
Old July 27th, 2020, 04:44 AM

Not much else has to be said with respect to cleaning up your engine bay but I would add one additional comment. You probably left most of your coolant on the road but be sure to hose down your driveway really well to get any left over coolant into grass or storm drains. Pets - especially dogs - like the taste and will drink it. Let's just say it's not good once they do.