Considering engine swap

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:55 PM

Thx Oldcutlass
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nobody means to imply that he took the big box o' parts and shook it up, only that someone did, but that it's now his job (and not his mechanic's) to undo the damage.

As Joe said, read, read, read, then start working.
Or, as the carpenters say, "Measure twice, Cut once."

Get some books, as suggested above, including Mondello's, Bill Trovato's and the Chassis Service Manual, and take your time to do some slow, relaxed learning, read everything you can find on the subject on these boards, concentrating on posts by the likes of Joe Padovano, CutlassEFI, 380Racer, and several others, and only then begin to chart your course.

First order of business it to learn what you have.
Are the pistons original (Is the compression the original 8.5:1, or has it been increased or decreased)?
What are the cam specs?
How are the carb and timing set up?
What kind of transmission, and are there any modifications to the trans. or the converter?
Once you know where you are, you can decide where you're going.

- Eric
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:02 PM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Lighten up guys, we all started the way he is.
I agree 100%. The best advice I've seen though is to put in a smaller cam, switch the carb and get it tuned. I bet that thing rips the tires off for a hell of a lot less cabbage than changing the motor.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:15 PM

Ok thx
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:25 PM
Senior Moment Member

When I was a young man I had a small chevy. I changed the cam to a big one and the car ran like garbage, Same goes for changing to a single plane intake. The car went slower! Having the right parts that work as a unit is the most important thing. I found out the hard way that bigger was not necessarily better. You'll get this baby sorted out. Keep posting with what you're doing. There are guys on here that have forgotten more than I'll ever know. They are great guys and a great source of info. Remember, no question is considered stupid. We've all been where you are. Good luck! Jim

Last edited by z11375ss; December 23rd, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:28 PM

Thx for the words of encouragement jim.
Old December 24th, 2013, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Olds92
Get a 455 before 1973 or better yet a 425 engine. Great power in stock form. Dont put chevy junk in your olds like everyone else. Support olds because the whole point of them is their great engines.
Brutal,any 455 even a smog 74-76 will do better than one that won't run or is built with incorrect or miss matched performance parts.
Old December 24th, 2013, 01:33 AM

Ok, so can u guys give me a little guidance on worth while literature and/or instructional dvds about building/tuning the 72 olds 350? You guys have given me a great start but in order for me to do some homework on my own i need a reliable source of info.
Old December 24th, 2013, 02:01 AM

Also, if i was able to find a 455 , what mods would i need to do to make the swap ?
Old December 24th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Administrator

How about we try and make your 350 perform first. I would be willing bet that your tune up settings are way off.

Do you have a timing light, vacuum gauge, tach, and some basic hand tools?
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldskool84
Also, if i was able to find a 455 , what mods would i need to do to make the swap ?
Virtually none. The only external difference between an Olds 350 and 455 is the deck height. The exhaust manifolds need to be changed to match the taller deck. Pretty much everything else bolts up from the 350. Depending on what radiator you car currently has, you may need a bigger one.
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Virtually none. The only external difference between an Olds 350 and 455 is the deck height. The exhaust manifolds need to be changed to match the taller deck. Pretty much everything else bolts up from the 350. Depending on what radiator you car currently has, you may need a bigger one.
I have never actually swapped in a BBO, always stuck with "little brother". Does the extra deck height affect any of the brackets? Seems like it would IF they bolt to the intake. Also, any issues with front springs?
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by captjim
I have never actually swapped in a BBO, always stuck with "little brother". Does the extra deck height affect any of the brackets? Seems like it would IF they bolt to the intake. Also, any issues with front springs?
It depends on the year. For the 1968-76 model years, the brackets have two sets of holes to accommodate both BBO and SBO deck heights (where it matters). The weight difference is on the order of 50 lbs or so. I've swapped a few BBOs into SBO cars and not changed the springs - in fact, I often cut the front springs to lower the front end.
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:15 AM
delete

Ok guys , i respect your pov but the only mods i did was the msd setup. The rest was done before i bought the car. Also, ive done the best i could with fixing the car myself but honestly have no idea what im doing. I bought this car with hopes of learning more about cars and bc i thought it'd be easier to fix,but didnt anticipate it breaking down every couple of days or weeks.
Did the car run bad when you bought it or get worse over time? If it ran good when you bought it, what has changed? Someone mentioned dished pistons & 8:1 compression. Do you know if the lower half has been rebuilt? if so, orig pistons could be gone.
Old December 24th, 2013, 09:00 AM

I would not ditch that engine just for those problems. they sound like the issues you get with a poorly modified engine with mismatched parts that isnt tuned. As suggested, I would try putting it back close to stock. ditch the cam for something closer to stock specs. Someone probably put in that cam because they wanted the "sound" of a hopped up car, but it will give you driveability problems. I'd also ditch the intake, carb, and ignition setup you have. Go for a basic dual plane intake, a GOOD holley/ edelbrock carb, and a factory HEI unit from the mid/ late 70s (pre CCC). It will be much cheaper and much less of a PITA than going to a chevy engine (did that in my caddy that had a dead 307 olds. it was a headache trying to find all the piddly crap to make it work, and that was with being able to source alot of the typically nearly-unobtanium misc parts at the junkyard). "Just throwing in a small block chevy" isn't exactly as easy as you would think it is. De-mod that olds 350, get a competent mechanic to tune it, and enjoy the great engine that olds made (having driven vehicles with engines from every GM make, I prefer the smoothness/ refinement of olds and caddys)
Old December 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Ok, so can u guys give me a little guidance on worth while literature and/or instructional dvds about building/tuning the 72 olds 350? You guys have given me a great start but in order for me to do some homework on my own i need a reliable source of info.
There's a book called How to build horse powet by david vissard. This will give you some basics. The ultimate olds book is by bill travato. A chassis service manual is also a good read.
Old December 25th, 2013, 10:31 AM

Thx Lars!