Clearance issue & Aluminum head ?'s

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2020, 11:40 AM
64Olds

Clearance issue & Aluminum head ?'s

Hey everyone, just curious, I have a 1964 Cutlass with a Olds 350, I was curious if I would run into any issue with clearance switching from stock oil pan to a 8 quart oil pan?

And by chance, has anyone in the group purchased & installed the top end kit(aluminum Cylinder heads,69cc,cam & lifters) for the 350 olds from Oldsrocketparts(eBay) out of California, he's on Facebook and has an eBay store?

Appreciate all the help & feedback, have a great week Everyone!
Old January 29th, 2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 64OldsCutlass
Hey everyone, just curious, I have a 1964 Cutlass with a Olds 350, I was curious if I would run into any issue with clearance switching from stock oil pan to a 8 quart oil pan?
And by chance, has anyone in the group purchased & installed the top end kit(aluminum Cylinder heads,69cc,cam & lifters) for the 350 olds from Oldsrocketparts(eBay) out of California, he's on Facebook and has an eBay store?
1. Others can comment on the 8 quart oil pan. You make no mention what rear end ratio, transmission, compression ratio you have or if you have headers. You are not likely going to use the stock mechanical fuel pump with aluminum heads.
2. I would be skeptical about buying important parts or kits from someone on Ebay "out of California". Bernard Mondello, Corona, CA would be ok.
3. We have members who will gladly help you. We also have someone that can supply you with what you need, if you don't want to get them on your own.
4. You're going to get lots of opinions on what cam, intake manifold, carb and rocker arms you should use.
5. Perhaps make an introduction as a newbie on the Newbie Forum and tell us a little about you and the car. And we do like seeing pics.

Old January 29th, 2020, 02:01 PM

An 8qt pan will clear the cross member but you’ll obviously be sacrificing ground clearance. IMO the Canton 6qt Pan is the best bang for the buck.
That Aluminum head kit is suspect. The cam is an old grind and the heads have been known to not be the correct cc.
i and others offer that head in various stages as well.
And yes, you’ll need to use an electric pump as the a mech pump will no longer fit.
Hope this helps.
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:45 AM

Big pans fit fine. Installing the engine with the transmission attached gets much more tricky, but doable. Like mark said, you lose ground clearance, so make sure your bump stops are in the right place. I had seriously modified suspension and the fancy progressive bump stops, which meant my oil pan was the actual bump stop. Cracked open after enough punishment.
Just look up info about Mondello Performance (different than Mondello Racing Engines) on here. Don't buy Olds parts from vendors like that. There are some trusted vendors here, like Mark (cutlassefi), and some well known shops, like Bernard Mondello (Mondello Racing Engines) and Bill Trovato and Rocket Racing. You can also put together a kit easily enough with off-the-shelf parts once you know what you want.
Old February 1st, 2020, 08:56 AM

Edelbrock 60519 heads are still advertised at $769.50 each, and summit racing has a deal for $100 off $1099 or more. $1439 for a pair of Edelbrock heads is awesome considering before December 9th they were $1250+ each. I bought a pair on December 10th. The Edelbrock 60515s are $999 each. The only difference between them and the 60519s is a $125 set of valve springs.
Old February 1st, 2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mjrj
Edelbrock 60519 heads are still advertised at $769.50 each, and summit racing has a deal for $100 off $1099 or more. $1439 for a pair of Edelbrock heads is awesome considering before December 9th they were $1250+ each. I bought a pair on December 10th. The Edelbrock 60515s are $999 each. The only difference between them and the 60519s is a $125 set of valve springs.
I just saw a set of the “Premium” heads from Bernard. With all due respect to him, buy the Edelbrocks, they’re a way better deal.
Old February 1st, 2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
An 8qt pan will clear the cross member but you’ll obviously be sacrificing ground clearance. IMO the Canton 6qt Pan is the best bang for the buck.
I totally agree, I was having some minor oil pressure issues taking highway ramps at aggressive speeds with the Milodon pan. When I switched to the Canton pan my oil pressure became more stable. It sits flush with the engine cross-member.