Bog...arghhhhhhhh!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
2Blue 55

Bog...arghhhhhhhh!!!

Okay, here is my qustion... i rebuilt my carb on my 55 and it improved quitee alot... But, i can never get it to start right, i allways have to push the pedal a couple of times (3 or 4) or it will just sputter and die.. but this is not what is bothering me. I have to be careful not to go too far with the foot feed or i will bog, my question is, is there anything else that i should check that would makethis problem??? Any advise is useful, and any reply is a good reply, Thanks a bunch
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Sounds like the Accelerator pump is not functioning properly...Could be the pump or the check-ball that is not allowing the pump bore to fill properly. When you go to open the throttle the car bogs due to too much air ( as the throttle blades open ) and not enough fuel. Hope this helps
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:46 AM
2Blue 55

Thanks for the reply, I thought so to, but both were replaced and quite a large squirt of gas comes out, and it dosn't get any smaller when you pump it 4-6 times...I may take it apart again this sumer and check it out...I was thinking mabye the vaccum advance...Thanks again for the reply, any other ideas are useful.
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Past Administrator

Keith, check the air gap measurement between the throttle plate and the inside of the air horn. If you are rebuilding the carb with specs from the kit it could be off by a small amount. There isn't anything wrong with adjusting those settings just a bit to tweek performance. Another setting might be the full open position, is it opening all the way? A third thing might be that the bushings on the throttle plate are worn excessively and allowing air to leak into the plenum or even binding the smooth movement of the plate. I might be way off base on that but worth a try.
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:58 AM
2Blue 55

Thanks for the reply... I am going to check this out next time it is warm enough to do so, thanks for information... I am a beginner at Carbs so anything helps... Thanks again