bad cold start

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM

bad cold start

Hi all,

New thread from Holland.

My cutlass 350 1975 doesn't seem to like it when she is coldstarted.

I checked the choke and this is closing and opening like normal ( the plate and elect. choke element are working) So I think this isn't causing the problem.

What else could it be?
(fuel pressure...? or....)

The problem started a few weeks ago.

Grtz from the netherlands
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:06 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Hi Wally,
When you say she doesn't like cold starting what symptoms do you have?.
Does it start but misfire until it warms up, does it need a lot of cranking, does it turn over slowly etc.

Could be a carb, ignition, battery or starter problem, or something else altogether.

Give us more details and we can do more to help.

Roger.
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Hi Roger,

Symtons are:

Before I turn the ignition on I crank a few times then the starter does its job. The egine doesn't fire up so I try again., again, again.. then it fires up, but only for a second than dies. Start again...same thing.. (Fire up - dead) try again , try again and at least The beast is awake.
The engine runs but only with throttle, otherwise it runs so bad that it stop and I've to start again. When the engine is warm it fires up immediately but sometimes when the engine is really warm the motor starts like it has a realy bad battery. It seems that the starter doesn't have enough power to go around but....than...it goes around and...when I think ...it fires up......

I hope my discription of my starting procedure is clear enough otherwise ask me for specific details.

Wally
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:58 PM

You need to check that when choke flap closes you are also getting gas squirting into the carb from the accelerator pump. Work it by hand and look. Then you need to check choke pulloff (s) when the engine fires these pull the choke off a little to keep the engine running smooth.
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks,

Now it's midnight in Holland so I've to wait a couple of hours for checking this
If there is no gas squirting into the carb what does this means, because the enigine runs after all ( after a few minutes than...)

wally
Old October 10th, 2011, 01:08 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by wally74
Hi Roger,

Symtons are:

Before I turn the ignition on I crank a few times then the starter does its job. The egine doesn't fire up so I try again., again, again.. then it fires up, but only for a second than dies. Start again...same thing.. (Fire up - dead) try again , try again and at least The beast is awake.
The engine runs but only with throttle, otherwise it runs so bad that it stop and I've to start again. When the engine is warm it fires up immediately but sometimes when the engine is really warm the motor starts like it has a realy bad battery. It seems that the starter doesn't have enough power to go around but....than...it goes around and...when I think ...it fires up......

I hope my discription of my starting procedure is clear enough otherwise ask me for specific details.

Wally
Hi Wally;
Sounds to me like the carb has no fuel when you try to start, could be boiling out of the carb after you shut it down last time you ran it or leaking. Can you smell petrol before you try firing it from cold?, the carb could be leaking or the fuel pump might be allowing fuel to drain back, you have to crank the engine a bit to get fuel to the carb in either case.

It also sounds like the carb is not set up properly for cold starting, plenty of guys familiar with your kind of setup in the Netherlands, and I think maybe you could use some hands on help there.

The engine being hard to crank when it is very hot could be a tired starter motor or heat soak making the engine tight. I had this with my 350 diesel and a 307 in a Cutlass. If I was on a long trip and stopped for a break I used to lift the hood to allow the underhood heat to escape.

Check out the plugs and ignition system as well, a weak spark might let the engine run ok warm but give cold starting issues like yours as well.

Let us know how you get on,

Roger.
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Hi Roger,

Today I checked the spark plugs, I renewed these a couple of weeks ago and they where still in a very good condition, so this is excluded I think.

I don't smell gasoline before I (try) start the the engine.

How can I check if the fuel is draining back?

But today I noticed that the choke valve is opening very fast. When I pushed this valve a bit back the engine was running much better ( higher idle also). The choke valve was open in +/_ 30 sec.
So there's someting to adjust I think.
Also I noticed that the "choke pull off" didn't funktion. It did work a few days ago
Do I have to clean something at the carburettor or...?

grtz,
wally
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Hi Wally;
The plugs being fine doesn't mean the voltage to them is great, HEI coils are noted for losing power as they age, if you have access to a krypton analyser or similar to check the voltage to the plugs you will have a good idea how good your ignition system is.

If you look down the carb with the choke held open and operate the throttle you should see gas squirting into the carb from the accelerator pump if there is any in the carb. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and have a helper crank the engine when it is cold, gas should come from the line almost immediately. If you have a clear fuel filter in line between the pump and carb you can see if it has fuel.

You need someone with more expertise than me to set up your carb properly, plenty of help on this forum, and as I said earlier, plenty of guys in Holland who know their way round your carb.

Good luck!.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; October 12th, 2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:44 PM

I think I fixed it.

After checking some things, you guys wrote about. I finally re-adjusted the electric choke and quess what.....
This seemed to be the problem.
Thanks for all your technical advices, it gave me some new information about this specific problem.

Grtz,
Wally
Old October 13th, 2011, 02:38 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Glad you fixed the problem, thanks for letting us know it has been resolved,.

Roger.
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:50 AM

A properly operating choke system and warm air intake (heat stove) is key for drivability in the winter, true you can't pounce on the gas while the engine is in warm up mode but unless you live very close to a highway on ramp entrance it won't be a factor.
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM

I have a similar problem. Mine actually shuts off while driving as well as taking a while to cold start. I noticed there is no fuel in the clear fuel filter.