Air Intake Hose and engine sound

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Air Intake Hose and engine sound

This is just kind of a "why the heck" type of question. I've noticed that all Olds 307 applications use the black dryer hose type intake hose that connects to the air scoop on the grill. Why do the Chevy 305's not use it (except for on HO versions)? I was just curious.

My Custom Cruiser was missing it's intake hose and I replaced it. It actually runs better now and has smoother acceleration, so I imagine it does serve a purpose.

I have another useless but "why the heck" type of question. I've also noticed that even though my 85 Toronado has the same engine, it sounds a bit different than the Custom Cruiser. For one, it's a lot quieter...I assume maybe because it was a "luxury" car, it has more sound insulation? But the biggest difference is the Toro has more of a typical V8 "growl" to it while the Cruiser has more "air" rushing/roar noise on acceleration. It seems to have quieted a bit since I put the air intake hose on, but there is still a difference. Could it also be because one if FWD and the other is RWD?

I dunno...again, I was just curious and thought maybe someone would know!
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Joeypete
This is just kind of a "why the heck" type of question. I've noticed that all Olds 307 applications use the black dryer hose type intake hose that connects to the air scoop on the grill. Why do the Chevy 305's not use it (except for on HO versions)? I was just curious.

My Custom Cruiser was missing it's intake hose and I replaced it. It actually runs better now and has smoother acceleration, so I imagine it does serve a purpose.

I have another useless but "why the heck" type of question. I've also noticed that even though my 85 Toronado has the same engine, it sounds a bit different than the Custom Cruiser. For one, it's a lot quieter...I assume maybe because it was a "luxury" car, it has more sound insulation? But the biggest difference is the Toro has more of a typical V8 "growl" to it while the Cruiser has more "air" rushing/roar noise on acceleration. It seems to have quieted a bit since I put the air intake hose on, but there is still a difference. Could it also be because one if FWD and the other is RWD?

I dunno...again, I was just curious and thought maybe someone would know!
It is a cold air inlet. Underhood temperatures climbed in the 1970s with more crowded engine compartments and emissions controls. There is about a one HP improvement for every 7-10 degrees F you can drop the inlet temp.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hangin' out...

Not sure why that would be the case. I'm assuming that you have the same engine (307). The only difference I can't think of, which I doubt is the reason, is the fact that your Toronado might not have roller lifters and may have the larger ported 5A heads. And my understanding is that the Toros all got the roller lifter/7A engines. 1985 was a transitional year so you never know. By 1986, they were all roller lifter 7A heads. The only other think I can think of that would affect the noise would be that the Cruiser probably has a heck of a lot more exhaust pipe. Just throwing around some ideas.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It is a cold air inlet. Underhood temperatures climbed in the 1970s with more crowded engine compartments and emissions controls. There is about a one HP improvement for every 7-10 degrees F you can drop the inlet temp.
That's what I figured...just was puzzled why the 305's didn't use it.

Originally Posted by henryk8398
Not sure why that would be the case. I'm assuming that you have the same engine (307). The only difference I can't think of, which I doubt is the reason, is the fact that your Toronado might not have roller lifters and may have the larger ported 5A heads. And my understanding is that the Toros all got the roller lifter/7A engines. 1985 was a transitional year so you never know. By 1986, they were all roller lifter 7A heads. The only other think I can think of that would affect the noise would be that the Cruiser probably has a heck of a lot more exhaust pipe. Just throwing around some ideas.
Ha, "Morty" I love it!

That would make sense, the idea of the ports/heads. The Toro does indeed have the 7A...I checked that a while ago. The exhaust is a good idea too actually..it is longer for sure.

I imagine it has something to to with the sound insulation too. I remember reading an article about how GM, while transitioning to FWD, had issues with increased noise so they did a lot of research on how to quiet the cabins down. Seriously though, the Toro is amazingly quiet..even with the windows open, you can barely hear the engine...it's a great car!
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM

The Toronado air cleaner should also have the charcoal ring in it that's primary purpose is to trap fuel vapors before they escape into the engine compartment creating an unpleasant smell. This device also could have the side effect of muffling the "suction" sound of the carburetor.

I can't think of any reason the Toro should have a "throatier" sound. Other than perhaps someone has replaced the exhaust/muffler at some point with a setup that's just a little bit louder. Mechanically the 7A 307 engines from both cars should be pracitcally identical.
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by kartmaster
The Toronado air cleaner should also have the charcoal ring in it that's primary purpose is to trap fuel vapors before they escape into the engine compartment creating an unpleasant smell. This device also could have the side effect of muffling the "suction" sound of the carburetor.

I can't think of any reason the Toro should have a "throatier" sound. Other than perhaps someone has replaced the exhaust/muffler at some point with a setup that's just a little bit louder. Mechanically the 7A 307 engines from both cars should be pracitcally identical.
Yeah I'm not sure either...the Toro is all stock. I've just always been curious about the sounds engines make...I'm geeky like that