Accel EFI on an Olds 350, '68 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2013, 10:22 AM

Accel EFI on an Olds 350, '68 Cutlass

A locally available '68 Cutlass for sale has a 350 with what looks like a Performer manifold.

I did a search for an Olds 350 with FI and there is some information but most of it seems to be more oriented towards hacking and cobbling an FI TB system together. So much of the information appears to be in the experimental stages which if the information was a little better organized I would dive in but time constraints prevent me from doing so.

Someone seems to have an Olds with an Accel FI system, I looked up the price on such a system and while a little steep (just under 2k near as I can tell) I suspect it may be less than going with an LS swap.

The Accel FI system seems to have port injection therefore I suspect I would have to have the injector bungs welded in and other bungs for the associated sensors including the O2 sensor in the exhaust collector.

So would I be able to attain a reasonably close performance level to an LS type engine? I realize there is a lot to be said for the superior design of an LS engine and I wont dispute that. I'm trying to approach the idea of having a driveable reasonably fuel efficient and good performing Cutlass within a certain budget and time constraint.
For example I cant have the car off the road for more than 1 weekend otherwise the whole upgrade loses its value for me.

Is the Accel FI system versatile enough that if I were to completely swap in an LS engine somewhere down the road that I would be able to use the Accel system with it rather than the stock GM EFI harness or ECU? I ask this because the limited information I read about the Accel system leaves me with the distinct impression this is possible.
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Talk to cutlassefi he is a vendor for accel this is his area of expertice.
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM

Other than the fact that your 350 will never reach the efficiency of an LS and if you can use an Accel ECM on an LS, you can, here's some other basic info.

Yes you'll need to weld in the bungs, use a dual plane intake.
You'll have more than 2k in it, for sure.

Your budget and willingness to jump outside of the box will dictate how far you go with this project.

Thanks.