72 Cutlass : Leak at Base of Thermo Housing?

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:05 AM

72 Cutlass : Leak at Base of Thermo Housing?

Morning

I seem to get a small leak out of the right side of the thermo housing, when I start-up, if I haven't started the car for a few days.

Nothing major, and it does stop, just more annoying.

I was going to replace the gasket and the thermostat it self, thinking it's a bad seal or bad part. Most likely this should fix the problem.

My question is why this might be happening? Is the Thermostat just getting stuck? Not allowing fluid to pass? If it is the thermostat itself.

Just curious.

Thanks for any and all input!

Pat
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mefirst72
Morning

I seem to get a small leak out of the right side of the thermo housing, when I start-up, if I haven't started the car for a few days.

Nothing major, and it does stop, just more annoying.

I was going to replace the gasket and the thermostat it self, thinking it's a bad seal or bad part. Most likely this should fix the problem.

My question is why this might be happening? Is the Thermostat just getting stuck? Not allowing fluid to pass? If it is the thermostat itself.

Just curious.

Thanks for any and all input!

Pat
Is this a stock cast iron housing, stock die cast, or aftermarket chrome? The Chinesium chrome housings are notorious for leaking. The factory ones, especially the die cast ones, can build up corrosion that eventually leads to a leak. Usually you can resurface the gasket face by sanding the housing on a piece of sandpaper on a hard flat surface. Also, the two bolts that hold the housing to the intake are among the few on an Olds motor that go into the cooling jacket. Be sure to use a dab of silicone on the threads when installing these bolts.
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Administrator

I'd just clean it up really well, make sure it's not corroded, and install a good quality gasket. MAW go ahead and replace the thermostat while your there.
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Your problem has nothing to do with your thermostat.

If the thermostat is working, there is non reason to replace it.

- Eric
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If it's just leaking from the right side base, sounds like the base isn't flat or the gasket isn't doing its job. I've never had seepage from my t stat bolts even without silicone or thread coat.

Sounds more like an expansion/contraction issue when the engine heats/cools. You might want to check that the r.s. bolt is tight as the left side.
Old April 16th, 2015, 07:16 AM

I always double up on the gasket there and put a little RTV there as well. This is a common area for a slight leak.
Old April 16th, 2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Is this a stock cast iron housing, stock die cast, or aftermarket chrome? The Chinesium chrome housings are notorious for leaking. The factory ones, especially the die cast ones, can build up corrosion that eventually leads to a leak. Usually you can resurface the gasket face by sanding the housing on a piece of sandpaper on a hard flat surface. Also, the two bolts that hold the housing to the intake are among the few on an Olds motor that go into the cooling jacket. Be sure to use a dab of silicone on the threads when installing these bolts.
Original cast iron, the good stuff. Good suggestion regarding the threads, dab of silicone...Thanks!
Old April 16th, 2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
If it's just leaking from the right side base, sounds like the base isn't flat or the gasket isn't doing its job. I've never had seepage from my t stat bolts even without silicone or thread coat.

Sounds more like an expansion/contraction issue when the engine heats/cools. You might want to check that the r.s. bolt is tight as the left side.
I did make sure bolts were torqued properly when this was first changed out over a year, but will check again for sure....Thanks!
Old April 16th, 2015, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the quick responses everyone, very much appreciated!!!