72 Cutlass 350 Cracked Intake Manifold - Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2020, 06:27 PM

72 Cutlass 350 Cracked Intake Manifold - Carburetor

Recently got this 72 Cutlass with a 350 Rocket 4B.

It ran, but rough... and would die when warm.

Ordered a Carb rebuild kit, but while removing the Carb, I noticed the intake manifold was cracked on the sides of a port. See attached photo.

I was really hoping to keep it stock... but looking for recommendations on what I should do next: Attempt to have fixed (welded and machined), go aftermarket intake and carb, or source a new manifold? Engine is stock.

Bonus question... obviously my choke heat stove is cracked/fucked ... is there an electric choke conversion instruction for dummies or at least the minimally competent

On a side note, it looks like a bitch to remove the manifold... whats with the support brackets... any pointers?

Old May 5th, 2020, 07:22 PM
same but different

Adding an electric choke is pretty easy. Check this thread out-https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...on-kit-128285/

I don't see that crack being too big of a deal, but maybe it is. If you want to take the easy way, why not clean up the crack as best you can and use jb weld. I would do that long before spending any bigger dollars on it at this point. Changing the intake and the ancillary items that come along with it can add up quick and your car is down even longer IMHO. There is a lot of things you could do under the hood now, I"m suggesting you keep it simple for now. Observation, the master brake cylinder looks pretty wet back there, better keep an eye on it.

What support brackets are you referring to? Nothing too complicated on a typical olds engine.

Old May 5th, 2020, 07:35 PM

Thanks. I was considering the JB weld thing... I think I will go that way.

I will look at Master Cylinder after I get Carb rebuilt. Probably needs changing.

Support brackets... these... hold alternator and AC I think.

Originally Posted by don71
Adding an electric choke is pretty easy. Check this thread out-https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...on-kit-128285/

I don't see that crack being too big of a deal, but maybe it is. If you want to take the easy way, why not clean up the crack as best you can and use jb weld. I would do that long before spending any bigger dollars on it at this point. Changing the intake and the ancillary items that come along with it can add up quick and your car is down even longer IMHO. There is a lot of things you could do under the hood now, I"m suggesting you keep it simple for now. Observation, the master brake cylinder looks pretty wet back there, better keep an eye on it.

What support brackets are you referring to? Nothing too complicated on a typical olds engine.
Old May 5th, 2020, 07:49 PM
same but different

Yea, those brackets have to come off IF you're wanting to take the intake off. Worst case scenario, you break a bolt off.
Old May 6th, 2020, 03:57 AM

i'll bet that "crack" is really just a casting flaw, probably been there since new. You can buy new choke tubes thru the venders. Be carefull the carb fuel inlet fitting ( where fuel filter is)- very easy to strip...