71 Cutlass Breaks Down on Freeway- Need Input

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2011, 06:18 AM

71 Cutlass Breaks Down on Freeway- Need Input

Hello everyone,

Looks like I'm having another issue with my '71 Cutlass Supreme (always gotta be something lol). Anyways, was driving on the freeway going like 70 mph when my car all of a sudden started acting like it had a flat tire. All the vibrations made it feel like I had a flat tire, but the steering wasnt pulling either way. I pulled off to the shoulder of the freeway, turned off my engine, and coasted to a stop. I got out of the car and inspected my car and there was no flat tire and nothing disconnected or leaking in my engine compartment. I tried to start back up and nothing.. The starter tries, but then sounds like its almost stuck.

I haven't had time to pull it apart yet and take an in-depth look, but I was looking for suggestions as to what this problem might be.. I know this probably isnt a real good explanation, but I need some ideas. I was thinking that maybe my distributor went out or the points slipped because I know a misfiring engine can send massive amounts of vibrations through the car. I was thinking my starter would atleast turn over and keep trying, however. I'm really hoping its not a problem with the transmission. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Eric
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:07 AM

The starter being stuck has me worried. I hope your engine did not seize. I question your oil pressure and engine temp at the time of the incident. I am guessing you did not see any lights come on.
Hopefully the experts will have some good suggestions for you soon.
I wish you good luck!
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Need more info!!
Can you turn the engine by hand? What do you mean that the starter seems stuck. And yes a distrubutor can cause what you sensed.
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:26 AM

I was actually watching my gauges closely at the time as I always do because I only have dummy lights that tell you when its to late. No lights came on. I know I was a little low on transmission oil though..

If the engine did seize i'd rather it happened now while this motor is still on warranty. The starter seems stuck as in it seems like the battery is close to being dead. You know when your battery is almost dead and it'll turn once but stop? Thats what it sounds like it's doing. The problem isnt the alternator because I had a guy try and jump me and to no avail. Also, the battery is brand new so not that.

I havent been able to try and turn the motor by hand. If I have time today I'll try and dig into it. Just trying to find out the best place to start.
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Looked at it tonight. Seems like my engine may have seized :S The starter acts like it wants it to go and is engaging, but the motor just aint turning over. Is there another way to see if the motor is seized? Turning it by hand was mentioned. Is there an easy way to do this with all the pulleys and all attached?
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM

Theres a big bolt head in the middle of your crankshaft pulley. You can put a socket on that to turn the engine over but make sure you unplug the ignition coil just in case before doing that
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by oldsmobum
Theres a big bolt head in the middle of your crankshaft pulley. You can put a socket on that to turn the engine over but make sure you unplug the ignition coil just in case before doing that
It should be a 1 1/8" socket. If it doesn't turn, you'll know.

Just a thought, A friend of mine told me a story about having a seized engine when it was actually fuel pump failure. The crank case was so full of fuel (ruptured diaphragm IIRC), it wouldn't crank. Once he drained it and changed the pump, everything was fine. In fact, the motor ran super smooth after that. It's unlikely that's what happened, but it wouldn't hurt to pull the dipstick and take a whiff.

Please let us know what you find out.
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

My guess from your description, is a spun rod bearing. One pair of bearings probably slipped underneath each other,and bogged the motor down. The starter still spun the motor a little bit when the metal was red hot, but once it solidified again, it locked up solid.
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Pull the fuel pump out and pull all of the spark plugs from their heads.
It should make the motor easy to spin over by hand with the 1.125" crank bolt.
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Pull the fuel pump out and pull all of the spark plugs from their heads.
It should make the motor easy to spin over by hand with the 1.125" crank bolt.
X2 - let us know!!