'56 super 88 dies making left turns

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2020, 05:18 PM

'56 super 88 dies making left turns

I recently had my engine rebuilt, it died 4 years ago. Before the engine died back then I had my 2GC carb rebuilt at Abel Automotive in Baltimore MD. It ran great for several hundred miles before the engine died. I took the carb off, drained the fuel and stored it. With the engine done now, I put the carb on and the car dies every time I make a left turn. More specifically, when braking for a left turn, say into a parking lot, the car quits. I am always able to restart. I sent it back out to Abel Automotive thinking that the years of storage were not kind to it. He called and said it looked pretty good, but he replaced one mixture screw, the piston in the power pump and I had him put an electric choke on it. Car still dies on left turns, called him up to ask for ideas. I am going to check the float level per his suggestion, but he does not think that is a problem as he looked at that already. This just does not make sense to me or my brother in law who is pretty good with cars. The carb settings are done by the book, it runs great going cruising, has great acceleration, right turns are not a problem, just to the left. Any ideas?

Old July 20th, 2020, 08:50 PM

Try hooking a voltmeter to the primary side of the ignition coil that can be watched while driving to rule out a wiring problem. If power stays on then it is fuel related. Could also run a wire through a ballast resistor from the battery to the coil primary and see if it dies on the turn. Look closely in and around the distributor for bare wire.

Does it die suddenly as in turning the key off?

​​​​​​Good luck!!!
Old July 20th, 2020, 10:08 PM

In the late 70s my Dad’s 1970 Supreme had a similar issue on left turns. Discovered that the battery positive cable had touched the exhaust manifold and melted the insulation, exposing the wires. Turning left under certain conditions caused the exposed wire to ground against the exhaust manifold and temporarily short out the electrical system, which killed the engine.
Old July 21st, 2020, 07:40 AM
72 Olds CS

I once had a vw that would consistently die midway thru a turn only to one side. Much likes kens batt wire mine ended up being a wire from a long since removed alarm that Was hanging and swinging and grounding out killing the ignition.
Old July 21st, 2020, 05:18 PM

Well, got the problem figured out. I was talking with the guy who rebuilt the carb and he suggested checking the float setting. As it turns out, that is what it was. The float was set at 2 1/4" and should have been set at 2". That is all it took. Runs great now with no problems at all. Thanks everyone for the input, I was really baffled about this. Happy cruising!!