403 Crankshaft problem

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2020, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by oletrux
Bought the bearings from American Powertrain. Measured the bushing that was previously installed, and had a local machine shop grind the new bearings down to the same size: 1.361"
Installed with red locktite and that part of the job is done. If I can afford to build the 455 for the car next year, I know another thing to watch out for!. If the 403 hangs in there for awhile longer, I have a spare pilot bearing.
Thanks for all the info guys. This site and those on it 'rock'.
Originally Posted by oletrux
As far as I could tell he had a lathe with a carbide cutter. I think he turned a suitable mandrile then chucked it up between two slightly smaller washers and spun it up. Commenced cutting the outer race until he got the diameter needed................
It can be done a couple ways, grinding or machining. The bearing can be mounted a couple different ways also.
1. One way would be to mount the bearing on a tapered arbor or expandable arbor that will "lock up" the bearing outer race and ground or machined "between centers" (60 º pointed center in chuck or collet and the tail stock center).
2. Another way would be to mount the bearing on an arbor (thats running true) that is a slip fit inside the inner race with sufficiently thick "washers" to lock the outer race from turning and machine or grind the O.D.
3. Machining: You will need a sufficiently "hard" grade of carbide to cut bearing race or a ceramic. You may have to polish (sandpaper) the machined area if you have taper. The hardness of the material, requires you spin the bearing much slower. C2 or C5 grade carbide will work.

Old February 5th, 2020, 05:59 AM

While I have many 'passable' skills, machining is not one of them. I am in awe of those of you who do have that knowledge and skills and appreciate the education guys. Hopefully the car is at the stage this is no longer an issue. We'll see after a few thousand miles (hopefully not before).
Old February 5th, 2020, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the updates and machining info (OLDSter Ralph). My Friend/machinist (started school with in 1956) passed away and most the small machine shops have gone under. The bushing type would be easier, imo. I may try to find someone to try this. Let's cross our fingers. If it works 403/350's with this type of crankshaft may become popular for manuals. Make sure you "dial" in your bellhousing.
Old February 12th, 2020, 08:15 AM

Well, the job is finished and after the first 25 miles all still seems well. The addition of 5th gear makes a remarkable difference at highway speed. Thanks again guys for the education.
Old February 12th, 2020, 10:26 AM

Good, now take it to 6,500 rpms with power shifts to see if it holds up. NOT, just kidding. That's good to hear and nice of you for the update. Most times we never hear about the results.