350 SBO Serpentine Conversion March Performance

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2014, 09:25 PM

350 SBO Serpentine Conversion March Performance

March Performance has this trick Serpentine Conversion for the 350 Olds.

http://www.marchperf.com/styletrack_olds.html

I want to use one on the 330 in my 65 Cutlass. However, they are totally in the dark as to knowing if it will also work on a 330. In fact, they had no idea that Olds even made a 330 until I asked them about fitment on one. They are asking me questions about deck height, and mounting boss locations on the cylinder heads, if its even in the same "engine family".

I told them the deck height was the same, and I believed the #2 heads on my 330 have the same mounting holes as the 68 and up 350 heads. Is that true?

I also told them the 330 uses a shorter (5.1") water pump, but that since their kit comes with a Milodon (6.0") water pump and its own pulley, that shouldn't be an issue either. Couldn't I be using a 6.0" pump right now if I had the correct water pump pulley?

I told them that intake manifolds, headers, oil pans, valve covers, almost everything external was interchangeable. Was I wrong about that?

I realize I could probably chase down all the factory brackets for a lot less than the cost of the March serpentine conversion. But honestly, I think its one of the sweetest looking add on's I've ever seen! I'm on a mission to make my Oldsmobile motor stand out in a crowd, and this Style Track set up looks like a work of art to a gearhead like me. Add a polished intake and valve covers to go along with it and it would look even better.
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

All SBO motors are externally identical, so the kit fits any of them (with the appropriate water pump, as you note). Be aware that the March "serpentine" kit isn't, as a true serpentine system uses a reverse rotation water pump. The March kit uses a boatload of idler pulleys to get sufficient belt contact on the water pump instead. It's really just a multi-rib V-belt system. Arguably the added idlers increase friction over the stock setup. Your money, your call on whether or not the bling is worth a couple grand.
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Yeah but it does look cool.
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Yeah but it does look cool.
"If it don't go, chrome it..."

Personally I'd rather spend that much money on a set of E-brock heads.
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Actually, I need to correct myself. I'd rather use that much money for a set of Bernard Mondello ported ProComps, then use the difference to buy a good, match ported Performer RPM.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, I need to correct myself. I'd rather use that much money for a set of Bernard Mondello ported ProComps, then use the difference to buy a good, match ported Performer RPM.
Funny you say that because I was gonna get the March setup for my 455 build but decided to get a set of procomp's from Bernard instead.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The style track does look really nice. Just having an Olds engine makes you stand out in the crowd. I picked up a March V belt crank pulley off ROP. I plan using it with my aluminum water pump pulley. It was matched with an under drive crank pulley. Never buy under drive pulleys, charging and cooling issues. Post pics of it installed.
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Just having an Olds engine makes you stand out in the crowd.
If you REALLY want to stand out in a crowd, get THIS 455 Olds, currently on Craigslist in the DC area. No, it's not mine, unfortunately.

Old October 17th, 2014, 09:21 AM

I put a similar March multigroove 2 belt system on a 71 Mopar 440 recently.

Not my project. Not my money. I hear it was very expensive. It sucked in many ways. Maybe a link to that story later.

1) the hardware is bullshit. Too long, too short [and, no, it's not just oops wrong bolts in that hole, swap them out], zinc plated button heads- why not SS hardware at the prices they get?

2) one of the struts had to be shortened, no way it was going to fit as supplied.

3) Crank pulley bolts were longer than nominal. That, plus no flat washers for them = bolts HIT ON ENGINE FRONT COVER which thankfully I noticed when turning to get to TDC.

4) The sent an AC pump pulley cover, and the owner bought the recommended AC pump. Pump's cover holes were M6 metric, bolts were 1/4-20. Durr.

5) after AC pulley cover BOLTS issue resolved, turns out the cover does not match the clutch, and when drawn tight it forces the clutch into constant contact. Spacers had to be fabricated and secured to the cover. Durrrrrr.

6) Their new button head water pump screws, REQUIRED for the pulley to clear, have 1 or at most two threads of engagement in the AL housing they mate to. It's not crucial, it's only the water pump. Right?

Don't forget you need electric cooling fans and a control relay and wiring.

Joe, I disagree on the term "serpentine"
It means "snakelike" as in bending the belt back and forth. As opposed to our old V-belts which never bent the belt backwards. This definition is satisfied by the setup seen. Which way it goes 'round the WP pulley is IMMATERIAL. The belt still bend inward and outward, and therefore follows a serpentine path.
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
Joe, I disagree on the term "serpentine"
It means "snakelike" as in bending the belt back and forth. As opposed to our old V-belts which never bent the belt backwards. This definition is satisfied by the setup seen. Which way it goes 'round the WP pulley is IMMATERIAL. The belt still bend inward and outward, and therefore follows a serpentine path.
We'll have to agree to disagree then, Chris. To my view, the "serpentine" terminology originated from the "S" shape that the belt took around the crank and reverse rotation water pump pulleys. I call systems like this one from March a "psuerpentine" belt.

You have, however, made my point for me.

Also, why install a psuerpentine system that uses TWO belts to replace a multi-V-belt system???
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Style Trac uses one belt. Another reason why I don't care for the other setup's.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; October 18th, 2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Thanks Joe, I figured you would confirm what I thought was true about all the SBO's being externally the same. Just so you know, if I was looking to make my Cutlass faster, I too would be getting some of those Pro Comp heads and other fun go-fast stuff. However, for this particular car I want to add A/C because I have found that I enjoy the "drive your car" events like the Power Tour, etc. It would be more comfortable for myself and my better half if I could put up the windows and chill out if its 90 degrees outside.
As far as the expense goes, Summit and Jegs show this set-up at almost $1700. I went to the March Performance booth at the Street Rod National North in Kalamazoo and got to look at the thing in person. The Rep gave me his card and said to use it when I call to get the "At The Show" price which was...lets just say a LOT LESS.
I haven't committed to this whole A/C thing yet. There are still a number of other things I would like to do to this car. I was hoping you guys on CO could tell me if there was any reason why this wouldn't bolt on a 330, and you answered. Thanks
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:44 AM

"if there was any reason why this wouldn't bolt on a 330"
======================
Bullshed fasteners
too long
too short
poor material
lack of washers where NEEDED
cover for AC pump required hours and hours to make it fit right
incorrect tensioner struts
lackadaisical response from March tech "support"

As long as you know what you are getting into.

As far as engine diffs, no the 330 is much like another Olds engine, and EXACTLY like a 350 [in this regard].