350 rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2015, 04:02 AM

350 rebuild kit

looking to possibly refresh my little 350 in my 72' while the body is off the frame. i still have not decided, as the car started with very little effort and ran great after sitting for 4 years. but now is the best time, and if i do some i want to add a little bit of power while im at it, but not wanting to drop a lot into the motor as the rest of the project is taking its toll on the budget. i am looking at these 2 kits, and was looking for some input, also input if working the factory heads is worth much. a buddy of mine owns a race shop in San Antonio, Kotzur racing, and does amazing work and i am half tempted to take them down to him

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-...64751690&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olds-Oldsmob...99070229&rt=nc
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:39 AM

Amazing work

I am a veteran of that "amazing work". To their credit they did make an attempt to straighten it up but it took four years. In San Antone one is hard pressed to find anyone to do anything right so keep your eyeballs wide open. Millers over on Grissom or T and P on Guadalupe appear to turn out a consistent product. Those two shops are familiar with Oldsmobile and I can not emphasize how critical that factor is.
Old January 6th, 2015, 07:09 AM

That first kit doesn't look to be for an Olds block
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Professur
That first kit doesn't look to be for an Olds block
yup, just noticed that myself. so these heads are a bit tricky? hes very experienced with fords as well as cummins motors. and had nothing good to say when i called him and told him about the rocket motor build

so for now i may forgo building the heads, and just rebuild to stock minus a nice cam
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Administrator

If your engine requires any machine work some of the parts in your kit will not work. I would take it to the machine shop and see what it needs and build from there.
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:21 PM
1971 442 conv

Before you spend your money, contact user 70wcars
He is at the north end of San Antonio and does this on the side.
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:05 PM

FWIW, do a compression or a leak down test before pulling it apart. If compression is good you can save a lot by leaving the pistons/rings/valves alone. Add a mild cam if you like, replace the timing chain, gears, seals and gaskets.
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
FWIW, do a compression or a leak down test before pulling it apart. If compression is good you can save a lot by leaving the pistons/rings/valves alone. Add a mild cam if you like, replace the timing chain, gears, seals and gaskets.

I definitely agree with doing the test ... but if you're in for a penny, go for the pound. Good compression means you shouldn't need to rebore, but putting a fresh cross hatching on the cylinder walls with a bottle brush and replacing the rings only makes sense while it's apart. If it's a '72 and hasn't been rebuilt one before, all those bushing and bearings have a lot of cold dry mornings on them.
Old January 13th, 2015, 09:00 PM

And the factory pistons will have huge 24cc dishes for an astonishing 8:1 compression ratio, assuming the head gaskets are the original thin steel shim type. Use thicker aftermarket composition gaskets and the CR may drop into the 7.xx range.
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:04 AM

Once we get a little closer to pulling the motor off the chassis, I'm going to do a proper compression test and more investigation. Like I said, it started without missing a beat after not running in many years, which surprised me. Best case, pull the heads and replace gaskets, new cam and timing set, maybe lifters. But will most likely have it bored over a bit. Maybe stroked..... time will tell
Old January 14th, 2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bansheeman6100
Once we get a little closer to pulling the motor off the chassis, I'm going to do a proper compression test and more investigation. Like I said, it started without missing a beat after not running in many years, which surprised me. Best case, pull the heads and replace gaskets, new cam and timing set, maybe lifters. But will most likely have it bored over a bit. Maybe stroked..... time will tell
I am a bit confused, in your original post, you said.
"but not wanting to drop a lot into the motor as the rest of the project is taking its toll on the budget."

A SBO stroker is going to cost you $5,000, minimum, and that is if you do most of the work. I would either rebuild it completely or don't do anything other than the chain/gears and exterior gaskets, no head gaskets. If it is a 2 bbl, swap to a 4 bbl.
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by captjim
I am a bit confused, in your original post, you said.
"but not wanting to drop a lot into the motor as the rest of the project is taking its toll on the budget."

A SBO stroker is going to cost you $5,000, minimum, and that is if you do most of the work. I would either rebuild it completely or don't do anything other than the chain/gears and exterior gaskets, no head gaskets. If it is a 2 bbl, swap to a 4 bbl.
the last was a joke