350: original vs rebuilt/modified

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2014, 02:55 PM

350: original vs rebuilt/modified

Can a rebuilt/modified 350 olds be just as valuable as an original with matching numbers? As im sure most of you know I'm pretty intent on doing some radical changes to my 72 cutlass, but ive also been considering simply restoring it. However, if the car is ultimately worth less simply bc the engine has been rebuilt/modified before i got it , I may as well go ahead and swap it for the 455 and sell the 350 to someone who could appreciate it for what it is. It may seem as though a lot of my questions are nonsensical but i have to figure out the option thats best for me. It doesnt seem wise to continue throwing money and new parts at an old engine,Especially when idk mods have done. If im to keep this engine it seems prudent for me to take it to a qualified shop and have them tear it down and start from scratch.
Old January 9th, 2014, 02:56 PM

*what mods have been done
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Except in rare cases (W-31), smallblocks are never particularly valuable, whether original or not.
Though many of us like to see completely original cars, the cold fact is that almost any Cutlass with a big block will bring more than one with a small block.

You will not lose any value by installing a 455 or a built 350, so long as the job is done neatly and well.

- Eric
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldskool84
Can a rebuilt/modified 350 olds be just as valuable as an original with matching numbers? As im sure most of you know I'm pretty intent on doing some radical changes to my 72 cutlass, but ive also been considering simply restoring it. However, if the car is ultimately worth less simply bc the engine has been rebuilt/modified before i got it , I may as well go ahead and swap it for the 455 and sell the 350 to someone who could appreciate it for what it is. It may seem as though a lot of my questions are nonsensical but i have to figure out the option thats best for me. It doesnt seem wise to continue throwing money and new parts at an old engine,Especially when idk mods have done. If im to keep this engine it seems prudent for me to take it to a qualified shop and have them tear it down and start from scratch.
Unless the car is a rare model (442, H/O, W-machine), a non-original motor is unlikely to have a significant impact on value. The value of the mods will depend on what they are and how well they were done. For a plain-jane Cutlass, a non-original 455, correctly installed, will likely be worth more than the original 350.
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:37 PM

Ok , whats the most you've heard of someone paying for an original 350 driveline? I REALLY want that 455 or even 468 and I'd be able to get it sooner if i was able to supplement the cost by selling what I've got. Not to mention the fact that its all gotta come out anyway.
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

In general, as you are discovering, normal price levels don't apply in Hawaii, so I really don't think we can make an intelligent guess.

For a low-compression 350 and TH-350 trans, without unusually high mileage, in good running condition, with the buyer able to drive the car to confirm the condition, I would guess around here it'd go for about $500, maybe a bit more if the buyer was desperate or really into it.
Some will say you could get more, but I, myself have bought a good-running high-compression 350, not in the car, from a guy I trusted (always a gamble), for $350, and a low-compression 350, in the car, advertised as not running, in perfect, low-mileage condition when I disassembled it, for $50, among others.

Already out of the car, unable to verify condition, the price goes down steeply from there.

In Hawaii, it's anyone's guess.

- Eric
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:57 PM

Wow! So i guess now the question becomes , would it be cheaper( ball park figures are fine as well as mainland prices) to modify the 350 (max performance while still being able to drive daily on pump gas) , or go to the entire 455 driveline?
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A functional, decent, non-modified or slightly modified 455 will be cheaper than a building very modified 350, and will probably be faster.

If you're not going to beat on it, you can keep the TH350, at least for a while.

- Eric
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:07 PM

Thx again Eric. I definitely wanna beat on it a lil bit but not to the point where im replacing parts all the time. Ive had enough of that with this 350