350 oil pan vs 455

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2020, 12:22 PM

350 oil pan vs 455

So the 350 oil pan does not have a baffle and the 455 does, is there any advantage to using the 455 pan on my 350
Old February 14th, 2020, 01:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

The baffle helps keep oil around the pickup, which is always a good thing. There's no downside to using the BBO pan on an SBO, except that it won't be optically correct for a totally concourse restoration. The BBO pan has two "bulges" at the front of the sump to allow space for the baffle to be spot-welded into place.
Old February 15th, 2020, 02:49 PM

Isn't the 455 pan a more gradual shape also, so it can hold more oil? At least, IIRC (20 years ago?!) the OE 350 pan has an extremely square sump. No need for a baffle since the front wall is vertical, but you lose a bit of capacity without the slope.
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oddball
Isn't the 455 pan a more gradual shape also, so it can hold more oil? At least, IIRC (20 years ago?!) the OE 350 pan has an extremely square sump. No need for a baffle since the front wall is vertical, but you lose a bit of capacity without the slope.
Not really. Toro on the left, BBO in the middle, SBO on the right. The "bulges" at the front of the sump on the BBO pan are to allow for spot welding of the baffle. (And thanks to John for these photos)

Old February 15th, 2020, 05:07 PM

I like big block baffled pan on the small blocks and the "horsepower robbing" Toronado pan on big blocks but with the small windage tray and the front timing "block off" baffle. I like the extra quart of oil. Jmo.
Old February 16th, 2020, 03:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I like the extra quart of oil. Jmo.
I'm not sure that extra quart helps much if it's all trapped at the front of the pan by the notch for the axle shaft.
Old February 16th, 2020, 03:42 AM

My buddies W31 had a big block pan on it when he bought it. We were going to change it while we had the engine out for detailing but decided to leave it. It's a very nice car but

not a show car
Old February 16th, 2020, 07:50 AM

I,m not really going for a concourse restoration and can’t seem to find a good used big block pan for a decent price or one even close to me that won’t cost a lot for freight, has anyone used the aftermarket pans that are supposedly stock replacements but the drain plug is one the side corner of the pan vs the bottom originals? I do have a original small block pan that’s in good condition that I could use just don’t know if there would be any issues vs the baffled pan, will the non baffled pan keep enough oil for the pickup screen? I am running a HV pump but also restricted pushrods and the main bearings holes have been drilled. Not really building for racing so don’t know why I bought a HV pump mainly just use it for car shows a cruising around, may hit the drag strip once and awhile.

Last edited by coppertopgmc; February 16th, 2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old February 16th, 2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by coppertopgmc
I,m not really going for a concourse restoration and can’t seem to find a good used big block pan for a decent price or one even close to me that won’t cost a lot for freight, has anyone used the aftermarket pans that are supposedly stock replacements but the drain plug is one the side corner of the pan vs the bottom originals? I do have a original small block pan that’s in good condition that I could use just don’t know if there would be any issues vs the baffled pan, will the non baffled pan keep enough oil for the pickup screen? I am running a HV pump but also restricted pushrods and the main bearings holes have been drilled. Not really building for racing so don’t know why I bought a HV pump mainly just use it for car shows a cruising around, may hit the drag strip once and awhile.
I ran a 350 pan on a 455 for years with no issues, and I was not nice to that thing.