350 Build Question

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM

350 Build Question

A few questions, I've asked this question before on the site but then postponed engine work on my car for a while and now I'm back to it. It's a 72 350 Rocket and never been rebuilt. Originally I wanted alot of power but I've come to decide I'm more interested in just a dependable engine with a quick get up and go. My budget is still the same roughly $3k. I'm wondering what carb, gears and intake to purchase to match the 42-208-4 comp cam. I've been told to go with edelbrock on both the intake and the carb. I remember the gears mentioned were the 3:23 gears. Also what type of exhaust I should go with. I'm interested in a deep mild lobe(not sure if I'm describing it right). I want it to sound like a monster when I'm sitting at the stop light .
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by BigTrav
A few questions, I've asked this question before on the site but then postponed engine work on my car for a while and now I'm back to it. It's a 72 350 Rocket and never been rebuilt. Originally I wanted alot of power but I've come to decide I'm more interested in just a dependable engine with a quick get up and go. My budget is still the same roughly $3k. I'm wondering what carb, gears and intake to purchase to match the 42-208-4 comp cam. I've been told to go with edelbrock on both the intake and the carb. I remember the gears mentioned were the 3:23 gears. Also what type of exhaust I should go with. I'm interested in a deep mild lobe(not sure if I'm describing it right). I want it to sound like a monster when I'm sitting at the stop light .
That won't happen with the stock compression, you'll need to bump it up to 9.5 or so from the 8.0 that it is now. Only way to do that is to cut the heads a bunch or change pistons. I know they advertised 8.5 in '72 but trust me it's much closer to 8.0.

Gear choice is good, carb and manifold is fine too. Wouldn't do anything on a cam though till you decide what you're going to do with the compression.
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM
this is not my car lol

the edelbrock 1406 & performer are a great match, and dependable as hell.

a holley 600cfm might give you more HP and launches better, but will be more work to maintain.

the intake i chose is a performer 350, which some say is just a lighter version of the stock cast iron manifold. but hey, its aluminum and pretty to look at lol

if you wanna be a stop-light hero, just slide a set of glass packs on a 350 with hedmans/hooker/flowtechs and you should be good to go.