2 350's 1 week

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:54 PM

2 350's 1 week

I need to get 2 vehicles mobile this week that have been fairly stationary this year. 1 my delta, the battery went earlier this year and I was planning on getting it indoors and torn apart soon so I wasn't really worried about it but here we are it needs moved asap and I don't know where yet but hopefully it will be storage. So today I put in a supposedly good battery and was getting no power in the lights or starter or anything. Tried jumping and and still nothing. A friend suggested cleaning up the starter contacts and gettign the battery checked and charged. Sound good? Any other suggestions? 2 Is the eldorado which I had checked casting numbers once and found it was the late 350 block (78-80?) and of course that has the blown head gaskets but on such a short time span and budget I don't know if i am willing to tear the engine down and deal with all the little problems that may occur so I found a local 307 for 50 bucks and is supposedly good so I was going to throw that in. 1 will everything line up exactly the same? and isn't there some complication with electric carb this and that? I didn't swap the 4100 for the 350 so who knows what was there and is gone now... should I use the carb already on the 350? any responses are greatly appreciated as always. -John
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by deltathunder
I need to get 2 vehicles mobile this week that have been fairly stationary this year. 1 my delta, the battery went earlier this year and I was planning on getting it indoors and torn apart soon so I wasn't really worried about it but here we are it needs moved asap and I don't know where yet but hopefully it will be storage. So today I put in a supposedly good battery and was getting no power in the lights or starter or anything. Tried jumping and and still nothing. A friend suggested cleaning up the starter contacts and gettign the battery checked and charged. Sound good? Any other suggestions? 2 Is the eldorado which I had checked casting numbers once and found it was the late 350 block (78-80?) and of course that has the blown head gaskets but on such a short time span and budget I don't know if i am willing to tear the engine down and deal with all the little problems that may occur so I found a local 307 for 50 bucks and is supposedly good so I was going to throw that in. 1 will everything line up exactly the same? and isn't there some complication with electric carb this and that? I didn't swap the 4100 for the 350 so who knows what was there and is gone now... should I use the carb already on the 350? any responses are greatly appreciated as always. -John
which would be MORE work? changing an engine or changing the head gasket?

get the battery checked first.
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:36 AM

thank you for your reply oldsracer. I replaced the battery and charger in the delta 88. it now cranks but doesn't seem to be doing much else. also I heard some popping and some some smoke so I quickly disconnected the battery. I am guessing there is a short somewhere so I think I will get the olds towed and then replace my posative terminal and go from there. Right now I will go and make sure those wheels are broken loose because those rotors look UGLY. I suppose doing a head gasket would be easier but I am warned from a friend that bearings may be bad from sitting with the oil and coolant mix. He just did head gaskets on his 350 73 century and as soon as he started it up it sounded terrible thanks to what he believes to be a cam bearing. We'll find out when he tears the 350 down after he is done installing that 455...

Last edited by deltathunder; August 29th, 2009 at 07:39 AM.