1977 Omega with 305 Fuel Pump Help

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2013, 07:27 PM

1977 Omega with 305 Fuel Pump Help

I have a 1977 Omega with an orginal 305 Chevy small block in it. Problem is the fuel pump needs replacement. I removed the old pump, and it appears the plunger on the new pump engages against a rod that somehow connects to the crakshaft? Can anyone provide some details on how to install new pump properly? There is a gold colored rod that appears to work with the fuel pump plunger?
Old December 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Hookers under Hood

I've owned a few chebbies back in the day, and even with my olds 350, I changed a couple of fuel pumps and had to stick my finger in the block where the pump plunger goes and push that shaft up in order to get the pump in , It may be different in your case in sure other will chime in with some help.
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Yes on the chebby engine the plunger neds to be pushed up sometimes a little petroleum jelly will hold it up. 76olds the 350 olds has an ecentric on the cam which is driven directly off the cam and is bolted to it.
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:31 PM

The fuel pump rod on the SBC is camshaft driven. It is easiest to install the pump with the camshaft/engine rotated in a position that allows the pump pushrod to be as far up in the block as possible.

DO NOT crank the engine with the starter while attempting to push the rod up, you could be severely pinched! Rotate the engine by hand and check to see what position allows the rod to go the farthest into block and then as stated by previous posters use light grease or petroleum jelly to hold it in position.

An alternate method is, there are two bolt holes on the front of the block adjacent to the fuel pump. The upper one has a short bolt in it. If you remove the short bolt you can install a longer one and HAND TIGHTEN IT ONLY to hold the rod in place until the pump is installed and remember to remove the long bolt and reinstall the short one before turning or cranking the motor.
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks for the info on my olds copper. I changed mine in the 76 about 5 yrs ago I just remember it was tight getting it in without taking the a/c brackets out, The plunger was a lot longer then the chebbies I guess it just slid in. Oh my memory is going at 47yrs old lol.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:09 PM

Fuel pump replacement

Thanks for all the advice. Sugarbear, I did use a long bolt to hold the pushrod up while installing the new pump. Worked like a champ. Thanks again.