1971 350 Rocket

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2020, 06:29 PM

1971 350 Rocket

I am looking to replace my 1971 350 Olds Rocket engine. The one I have has a blown gasket and water got into the oil pan. I am at quandary if to just replace the engine or find someone to rebuild it. I know that getting a good replacement is a better solution. The only reason I hesitate is the sentimental in the car. I am unable to find someone in Central Florida that can rebuild the engine.
Does anyone have a contact in Central Florida that could rebuild the engine or have a good working 350 olds rocket engine.
Old March 4th, 2020, 06:46 PM

I’m in central Florida but need to know your expectations.
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by wleaton
I am looking to replace my 1971 350 Olds Rocket engine. The one I have has a blown gasket and water got into the oil pan. I am at quandary if to just replace the engine or find someone to rebuild it. I know that getting a good replacement is a better solution. The only reason I hesitate is the sentimental in the car. I am unable to find someone in Central Florida that can rebuild the engine.
Does anyone have a contact in Central Florida that could rebuild the engine or have a good working 350 olds rocket engine.
Let me give you the details.The engine overheated and blew a head gasket. Water got into the engine. I have two options.
1. Replace the engine. The engine belongs to a 1971 Cutlass Supreme with a 350 Rocket engine. I would need to replace it with a Long Block.
2. The second option is to have the engine rebuilt. Hopefully the block did not crack.
My preference is to rebuild the engine. Namely because that engine has been in the car for ever. I do recall that the block was changed out about 30 years ago. I have been trying to keep the car as original as possible. I just had the entire car rebuilt.
For you information, I do have a mechanic that I trust. His suggestion is to replace the engine.
I can give his contact information to further discuss the options.
Thanks for reply to my inquire.
Bill Leaton
Old March 5th, 2020, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Bill, I think what Mark is asking is what you expect as a performance level for your rebuild and what your budget is. cutlassefi (mark) builds engines.
Old March 5th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Water in the oil isn't the end of the world, assuming you didn't run it that way for a long period of time. If the engine was in decent shape before the head gasket issue, replace the head gaskets (and you MIGHTASWELL have the valves done while the heads are off), change the oil, and you're done. Once the engine comes up to temp, any moisture remaining in the crankcase will boil off. Now, if the head gasket issue was caused by overheating or if the engine had high miles and smoked, then obviously a rebuild is in order.
Old March 5th, 2020, 08:26 AM

This is great feed back. The engine was not burning oil. When I pulled of the road, after hearing the engine knocking. I did look at the oil stick. At that time there was not water inside the oil pan. The car was driven on to the tow truck then off. This was done twice. Once to my house and the second time to the garage. The number of miles on the engine is low, less the 100,000. The car had been sitting idle for a long time. 4 years to rebuild it. Having said that, I am certain the failure of the head gasket was caused by overheating. When it was taken to the garage. Found out that the radiator had rotted out and requires replacement. The reason I did not pickup on the overheating was due to the sensor wire had come off at the engine sensor.
As for the expected performance. This car is only for just driving once in a while. It is not meant to be a show car. The only reason I have it. It was my mother's first hurrah when she could afford to buy herself a nice car, back in 1971. How much I want to spend. I have no idea what it would cost to rebuild the engine or replace it. Current I have a quote of $1,800.00. That is to remove the heads and have them serviced and ground them down and put them back on. This also includes the replacement of radiator and the fan clutch.
My intent is to keep the car and pass it on to my son.