Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

A reputation or feedback forum for the swap shop...

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2009, 07:22 AM

A reputation or feedback forum for the swap shop...

just a thought, I just had a nice transaction for parts from a forum member ( ALB ) parts were as described and I felt it was a fair deal.

I went to Pittsburgh to get the parts, but as i am new to the forums, I would NOT have sent him the money and waited for the shipping? I would do it now after meeting with him, or if others have posted that he is reputable.

I dunno, with all the scammers out there I thought it would be a good thing, I guess we could post in the for sale section,
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Past Administrator

Interesting idea. For the time being just making a post should do. Or perhaps, since you can edit your own posts/threads, you can always make changes. For instance, if you start a "for sale" thread, you can (and should at least) modify the title after the item is sold stating that and you could also leave a descriptive of how the transaction transpired. If you start a "Wanted item" thread the same could be done, you could edit the title and/or first post to indicate if you found something, and leave feedback about the transaction.
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM

This is an interesting idea I never really thought about - I like it!
So far I have had nothing but good experiences buying things from other members of this forum.

Dan had a good idea for all.
I try to at least edit my posts as I get parts in, but now I will add my buying experiences also. Word of mouth is the best advertising and this forum is a great place to find old parts!
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Interesting idea. For the time being just making a post should do. Or perhaps, since you can edit your own posts/threads, you can always make changes. For instance, if you start a "for sale" thread, you can (and should at least) modify the title after the item is sold stating that and you could also leave a descriptive of how the transaction transpired. If you start a "Wanted item" thread the same could be done, you could edit the title and/or first post to indicate if you found something, and leave feedback about the transaction.
That's what I did a week or so ago. Had a great transaction with a member on the board here, and just wanted to let other members know not to hesitate or fret doing business with the person.

You never know who you'll end up dealing with on the internet, and I know I would appreciate some piece of mind if it were me considering buying something from an unknown. A feedback forum would be a nice addition, but I don't think it's required as long as people are encouraged to follow up on their experiences.
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Good thinking overall, but a couple of problems with it. First, users can only edit thread titles for like 1 hour after it's posted. I was once told on another site this is to prevent fraud, such as posting "Item X & Y for sale $100" then after said crook gets a sale, going back in and changing the thread to read "Item X for sale $100" or "Item X & Y for sale $200" (etc) then forcing the buyer to complete the transaction for just item X or for the $200 amount.

And so on - there's all sorts of ways to defraud if the thread and/or title can be edited invisibly. I'm sure everyone here's honest, but we don't want to open the door for dishonest people do we?

Anyway, the second problem with this feedback idea is that it tends to lead to flame wars when personalities clash. I've admined at other sites for years, and I can't tell you how many times a seller and a buyer - both basically good guys - get into a pissing contest over some detail, then spend the next months trying to besmirch the other's reputation... whether it's deserved or not. So while I might have a great transaction with seller Acme Angus, Dan might say something that ticks him off (or visa versa) and wind up having a terrible experience.

What I always tell people when asked is that feedback on sellers is great, and we DO have feedback forums on other sites just for this purpose... but that it's just one data point one should use in deciding to send your hard earned money off to someone you've never met for a product you've never seen. I also strongly recommend people use an online Escrow service for any transaction over whatever amount you're not willing to risk, be it $100 or $1000. They charge a nominal but to me it's well worth it for the peace of mind.

Hope this helps!
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM

I'm no lawyer, but I would be concerned about the forums liability if incorrect information was posted that adversely affected a business.

We live in a very litigious society.
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:03 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
We live in a very litigious society.
No we don't.....I'm gonna sue you for saying that.
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Past Administrator

Good thoughts that I didn't anticipate.
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Just posting your transaction in the parts wanted thread should work just fine if everyone posts their transaction with Excellent, good, fair, bad. Then through PM messaging a person call find out the background of how it all worked out
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:15 PM

You can go back on this site and change your post. I know I have several days later. It only states at the bottom of the signature the date and time it was edited. I have even deleted one before that was weeks old.
Old January 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by hamm36
You can go back on this site and change your post ........
Try changing the title of the thread.

Originally Posted by Omicron
........ users can only edit thread titles for like 1 hour after it's posted ........
Norm

Last edited by 88 coupe; January 27th, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Try changing the title of the thread.

Norm
I tried that and could not do it.

on subject: feedback is a plus.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Past Administrator

Yes, let's all just try a little more feedback, make updates at least in the thread as a final post, etc.