Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

Stupid VW Pop Up!

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Registered Luser

Stupid VW Pop Up!

Anyone else having this issue? They started yesterday, and are really getting annoying! Only on this site. How do I get rid of them?
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Justin

X2
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Firefox with adblock - never see an ad again...
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Actually, the surprising thing is that these things have been gone for a while. I recall that they were much more prevalent a few months or maybe a year ago.

I believe this is how the site pays for itself. It doesn't cost users like us anything to use it. One way the site owners earn money is by having ads at the top of the page. Another is to randomly attach links to certain words so that when you mouse over them, an ad pops up. It's the "price" we pay for the site being free to use.
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Registered Luser

Rob, I am totally computer illiterate...can I do that on an I Pad?
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Registered Luser

Jaunty, that works for me. Just that, in all the years of being here, I've never had them before...they are way too frequent though....
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM

if you see a blue word with two lines under it don't pass your mouse over it
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Rob, I am totally computer illiterate...can I do that on an I Pad?
Have no idea - I do not use those...
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
if you see a blue word with two lines under it don't pass your mouse over it
I noticed those blue links too. There are starting to show up everywhere now.
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Yeah, see, "free" websites aren't really free. Someone has to pay for hosting and maintenance. You can pay to subscribe or you can watch commercials.
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Registered Luser

I can understand that Joe, but in the 5 yrs I've been here, never happened before....they pop up about once every 2 mins!
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:17 PM
car guy

I can understand that Joe, but in the 5 yrs I've been here, never happened before....they pop up about once every 2 mins!
I started getting that about a year ago. (Local VW dealership took over my page every 30 seconds) It was so bad I was done with this site because of it. I was introduced to firefox and adblocker and it all went away
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

The trick is that they pop up whenever your cursor hovers over the hyperlinked "Oldsmobile", like the one under the General Discussion heading on the forum main page. Like the old joke says, "well, stay out of those places..."
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM

Funny! reading this thread i just gotta dodge popup...
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The trick is that they pop up whenever your cursor hovers over the hyperlinked "Oldsmobile", like the one under the General Discussion heading on the forum main page. Like the old joke says, "well, stay out of those places..."
Joe when mine was doing it I didn't even hover over a blue word. All I had to do was scroll up and the screen was taken over.
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Joe when mine was doing it I didn't even hover over a blue word. All I had to do was scroll up and the screen was taken over.
Same here Richard....
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:20 AM

Richard, your sig pic has a Dodge ad on it and I don't have to be any where near it with my cursor. That is kinda a slap in the face with a Dodge ad on an Olds picture, IMO. I guess I'll get rid of IE and try Firefox.
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:41 AM

I have Firefox with adblocker and STILL get 'pop-ups' for the Dodge Journey on every picture that has been posted. This started yesterday and NEVER happened before.
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Registered Luser

I don't see any dodge ads on Richards sig pic, I wonder if this is a site problem?
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
I have Firefox with adblocker and STILL get 'pop-ups' for the Dodge Journey on every picture that has been posted. This started yesterday and NEVER happened before.
This is interesting... What ad database did you install when you installed adblock? Did you install adblock plus?
You can also right click on the offending picture and at the bottom of the menu will be BLOCK IMAGE. No ad databases are perfect, so you might have to teach it a few more this way.
There is a fine line between advertising to help support the site and true annoyance. Anything that jumps up that demands attention to get rid of it is a way to not get me back to a site. Many online vendors lost business from me for throwing email requests and survey demands as soon as I get to the main page. Sorry, bother someone else.

And now some of you might know why I have some intentional misspellings in my sig...
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:14 AM

I don't see any dodge ads on Richards sig pic, I wonder if this is a site problem?
I don't think there is a site problem. I think what is seen varies from visitor to visitor. I might see a different underlined word than the next person looking at the same page. This all part of the sophistication of the software in varying what is seen from visitor to visitor and from visit to visit for the same person. I see different underlined words in some threads each time I visit.

When I hover over a link (and I have to be right over the underlined word for this to happen), what pops up is an Adobe Flashplayer video. When I right click on it, I don't see any option to block it. I use Firefox, and I have the pop-up blocker turned on. Yet they still pop up. I just avoid letting the mouse pointer pass over the underlined words.

Also, it isn't just words in the posting that are underlined. I've seen usernames underlined, as well as state names, city names, and words in people's signature block.

If people are able to block the ads, I wonder if its because they don't have Adobe Flashplayer installed. That would be a two-edged sword though, as, while you would not have the ads popping up here, you would miss out on a lot of web content.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 16th, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Oldsdruid

Whatever. I wish it would go away. I do not see the connection between Turbo 400 and VW, but I've seen Turbo 400 double-underlined in two threads today. Just for grins I rolled over it, and sure 'nough, a VW pop-up appears...

It's bad enough it's sending the phishing filter on my work PC crazy. The whole screen will freeze until the PF has done its thing, and I cannot turn the PF off.

Home has FF but the blue links still appear.

Like many of you, the surest way to get me to dismiss your product is to bombard me with ads for it. Ask the political callers I was plumb ugly to the last month before the election. Youtube has gotten terrible about making you watch a damn advertisement before you can view what you want to see too.
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:42 AM

It's not going to go away. It's how this site makes money for the people who own and pay for its existence. If we want the site to exist and be free to use, it has to paid for somehow, and this is one of the ways. Another is those banner ads you see at the top of the page. I'm seeing one for Tire Rack and another one for Geico right now.

I'm sure there is no attempt to associate any particular word with any particular ad, so you're not necessarily going to hover over the word "transmission" and see an ad for a transmission repair shop. More likely, words are chosen at random by the software and underlined. If you hover over the word, the ad pops up, and every time that happens, the sponsor of the ad, which has been VW is many cases for me, gives the site owner a little money.

It's the same thing that happens when you do a google search for anything and you see those "sponsored links" on the right side. Click on any of those links, and the sponsor gives google a few cents. That's how google makes money. You don't have to buy anything from the sponsor. Just clicking on the link is enough. The sponsor hopes that enough people who click on their link end up buying something, and, if that happens, it's worth it to the sponsor to pay something for every click even if only a small percentage of the people who click actually buy something.
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:00 AM

It is your browser or your popup blocker. I get no popups whatsoever and I use the less desireable Internet Explorer.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
It is your browser or your popup blocker. I get no popups whatsoever and I use the less desireable Internet Explorer.
My totally uneducated guess is that this is temporary. Come back in an hour and see what happens.

Remember, this all started only a couple of days ago. They're likely still testing the software. I have this exact page open in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome, and I'm seeing the underlined links in all three of them. Also, it's different words underlined in the different browsers. I'm guessing it's random what you see from one visit to the next, one instant to the next. Heck, just reload a page as you're looking at it in one browser window, and the underlined words will probably change or disappear.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 16th, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM

Started happening yesterday with me when looking at the vintage Olds racecar thread.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:21 AM

I'm sure it's not related to which thread you're in. Pick anything and the links will be there.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I don't think there is a site problem. I think what is seen varies from visitor to visitor.

When I hover over a link (and I have to be right over the underlined word for this to happen), what pops up is an Adobe Flashplayer video. When I right click on it, I don't see any option to block it. I use Firefox, and I have the pop-up blocker turned on.
It depends on the software on your machine, too. Just because you use firefox, it does not mean you have adblock plus. ABP is an extra (add-on) you get for free off the firefox website. When installing, you must choose the right ad database, too - the instructions show how.
If you have ABP on and mouse over a flash video, a tab over the right top of the video appears that says BLOCK... Therefore you can block certain videos, too. I would HATE to have flash crap popping up because anything made by adobe jeaprodizes system stability on my end.

If you have ABP, there are NO double underlined links either. Complete freedom from annoyances.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Whatever. I wish it would go away. I do not see the connection between Turbo 400 and VW,
I rarely saw a connection between the words and the ads long ago. I wish this site used more useful ads, like the ones from Advance auto parts, Rockauto and Tire rack.

Home has FF but the blue links still appear.
Sounds like you do not have adblock plus installed tho....

Youtube has gotten terrible about making you watch a damn advertisement before you can view what you want to see too.
Really? I never experienced that...

It's not going to go away. It's how this site makes money for the people who own and pay for its existence. If we want the site to exist and be free to use, it has to paid for somehow, and this is one of the ways.
This is understood, but annoying the heck out of people tend to view the site and product advertised as very negative. Hence the need to block the annoyances.

one for Geico right now.
Uggghhhh................ I praise the one who wrote ABP!!

It's the same thing that happens when you do a google search for anything and you see those "sponsored links" on the right side.
Those I actually found to be more useful and they did not annoy me. I wished they were all still like that. But now they are gone, too!

Originally Posted by Nilsson
It also depends how the popup is done. If done in java, the popup occures anyway, no matter the popup setting. Now if the popup calls for an ad site, ABP will suppress it. I wish I could prevent those survey popups to vanish forever now...
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:50 PM

Now it's not happening.
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM

This site was getting to the point I was tired of dealing with all the ads. So, I did some research and found the company that's placing them. It's called Kontera. I have internet Explorer and blocked them in my restricted sites. Problem solved. Here's how I blocked them. Go to: Tools > Internet Options > Security > Restricted Sites, then click the sites button and enter: http://kontera.com. That got rid of them for me. I can't figure how these morons think spamming/annoying people will make you want to use their products?? Hope that helps some of you. Mike
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:35 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by willys33
This site was getting to the point I was tired of dealing with all the ads. So, I did some research and found the company that's placing them. It's called Kontera. I have internet Explorer and blocked them in my restricted sites. Problem solved. Here's how I blocked them. Go to: Tools > Internet Options > Security > Restricted Sites, then click the sites button and enter: http://kontera.com. That got rid of them for me. I can't figure how these morons think spamming/annoying people will make you want to use their products?? Hope that helps some of you. Mike
good information Mike

thanks for the research
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM

I have internet Explorer and blocked them in my restricted sites.
Firefox doesn't have this same menu option.

Just now, however, I installed Adblock Plus from Firefox's add-on site, and, for the moment, at least, I'm not see those links. It says that Adblock specifically blocks flash-video popups.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Thanks Mike......that works fantastic!! THANKS!!!
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
You're welcome. Glad to hear it worked for you. Mike
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:30 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Stevec
I've been gettin those lately also .
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:38 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 380 Racer

X2 , I'm going to try that later .
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Hi Mike,

Many many thanks for your post. I am using IE and followed your instructions to the letter, took me all of one minute to do. No pop ups or mouse overs at all, the pages load a lot faster and it has changed browsing around the site from being a chore to a pleasure.

Cheers.

Russ.

Last edited by UK RUSS 1960 OLDS; December 9th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Registered Luser

Yes Mike thanks....worked on my computer! Now, can someone tell me how to do it on an I Pad .....please.....
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:49 PM

I came in here expecting this:

On topic: I use Adblock and have absolutely no problems with this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VW2.jpg (21.7 KB, 177 views)
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:00 PM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks! Solved it for me too.

Quick Reply: Stupid VW Pop Up!