Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

How does the new pictures work?

Old October 19th, 2018, 12:25 PM

How does the new pictures work?

I can't understand how the new picture attachment deal works. Are there any instructions on the new system?
Old October 19th, 2018, 01:05 PM

I haven't noticed any real difference between the "new" system under the site's new look and the old system. You still click on the little mountain range symbol (or on the "Manage Attachments" button down to the lower left on the page), you still either put in a URL if linking to an offsite photo or browse your computer to upload something from there. Then hit the "UPLOAD" button at the top right once the photos or photos (you can select more than one at a time, but you always could) are selected, and the machine does the rest.
Old October 19th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Hookers under Hood

I go to the paper clip under advanced , select the pictures from my PC to add , then upload , pull down the paper clip, select, then the man behind the curtain inside the box does the rest.
Old October 19th, 2018, 01:38 PM

When I hit upload nothing happens. I have to copy paste but the picture is to small.
Old October 19th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm using Firefox, and other than different colors, the upload pictures function works exactly the same as it did before.

Old October 19th, 2018, 02:31 PM

There are two differences I noticed. One is the addition of the "My Albums" button. That was not there before, and it gives you a third option for accessing photos. Also, the "Upload" button in the upper right didn't say that before. In the previous version, it said "Insert," if I remember correctly. But as Mr. P notes, the photo insertion process is functionally identical to the old system.

Old October 19th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Olds Fever

I uploaded a photo the other day under the new format and didn't have any issues... The only things I noticed that changed were the color and the verbiage from "Insert" to "Upload" which has already been mentioned...
Old October 19th, 2018, 02:41 PM

I have never had a screen anything close to this before now. I wonder if it is something to do with me still being on Vista? This is my first computer from 2008 and has never given me any trouble other than now and then not being able to do something because of Vista but that is very rare. I tried Windows 10 and work and I am totally lost with it. My good work computer is 7, I will try it on that computer and see what happens.
Old October 19th, 2018, 02:43 PM

When it comes to computers, I am like that person that takes a car to the shop and says it is broken and I want it fixed and turns out to be out of gas.
Old October 19th, 2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
When it comes to computers, I am like that person that takes a car to the shop and says it is broken and I want it fixed and turns out to be out of gas.
Eric, Don’t feel too bad. Recently I sold a 2010 BMW with push button ignition. Two days later the new owner called because it wouldn’t start. He forgot about pushing the brake when starting. He was getting ready to have it towed to the shop.
Old October 19th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The upload pictures works fine for me. What confused the heck out of me was trying to upload a .pdf The preview pane shows nothing till I post, and then it won't allow modification to the post. Frustrating.
Old October 19th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Another dumb question.
WHY does an ad appear between the previous post and the new post that is submitted?
Old October 19th, 2018, 07:23 PM

I have never had a screen anything close to this before now. I wonder if it is something to do with me still being on Vista?
It could. You're kind of living on borrowed time with Vista. Microsoft stopped "mainstream" support of Vista in 2012 and stopped "extended support," meaning no more security patches, in April 2017. When software developers come out with new versions of something, they often don't test it on out-of-date operating systems.

You might also be having a problem if your browser is out of date, and it might not be possible to keep your browser updated to the latest version of Firefox or Chrome or whatever you use if the machine its installed on has an unsupported operating system.

You really should upgrade to at least Windows 7 or figure out a way to live with Windows 10. Nothing good is going to come with continuing to stay with Vista.
Old October 19th, 2018, 07:27 PM

The current version of Firefox is 62.0.3. You can find out what version you are running by clicking on Help, and then About Firefox.

Here's what Firefox says about system requirements for the latest version. Note the conspicuous absence of Windows XP and Windows Vista from the list of acceptable Windows versions.

The latest version of Chrome is 70.0.3538.67.

Here's what Google says are the system requirements for Chrome. Note the disclaimer if you are using a non-supported operating system.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 19th, 2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old October 20th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I have never had a screen anything close to this before now. I wonder if it is something to do with me still being on Vista? This is my first computer from 2008 and has never given me any trouble other than now and then not being able to do something because of Vista but that is very rare. I tried Windows 10 and work and I am totally lost with it. My good work computer is 7, I will try it on that computer and see what happens.
Eric, it's not your operating system. In spite of being old and not supported, Vista is actually pretty user friendly compared to newer OS like Windows 10. The display you're seeing is the result of CO's site being revamped apparently in stages. Remember earlier this year it changed also? I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. BTW up till 2 weeks ago my old computer (2006) running Vista was just fine. Only problem was it wasn't supported by Microsoft but that wasn't a big deal for what we used it for. 2 weeks ago though the BIOS crapped out and it wouldn't launch. I had a tech look at it and he said that fixing it would cost easily as much as a new computer. As long as you're happy with the computer's performance you may as well just keep using it. The transition to Windows 10 is not terribly hard but I liked Vista better.
Old October 20th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Vista is actually pretty user friendly compared to newer OS like Windows 10.
Whaaat? Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. I lumbered along under Vista long after Win7 and even Win8 were released. I finally moved to Win10 when I got my new laptop. Win10 is MUCH easier to use than Vista. It's also MUCH more stable. I guess the law of averages says that eventually Microsquish would get it right.
Old October 20th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I had no issues with Vista at all. I guess it's just a matter of preference. Before Windows I really enjoyed Windows XP but that also went the way of the dinosaur. To each their own I suppose. I'm still getting used to Windows 10. You realize that Windows Vista was a premature release of Windows 7. Growing pains I guess.
Old October 20th, 2018, 10:01 AM

There is no good reason to continue to use Vista or XP, and, as Joe P says, Vista was one of the worst versions of Windows ever implemented. In its zeal to be security-conscious, Microsoft went overboard, requiring "user authorization" or whatever it was called practically every time you clicked the mouse button. Windows 7 came along quickly afterward pretty much because Vista was so universally disliked.

Old October 20th, 2018, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
. Remember earlier this year it changed also?.
I had no change in the way pictures were posted since the first time I figured out how in my early days. It has been exactly the same for me.
Old October 20th, 2018, 01:17 PM

I posted some pictures this morning and found I couldn't do the drag and drop. But I was able to browse on my computer and get them that way.
Old October 20th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I posted some pictures this morning and found I couldn't do the drag and drop. But I was able to browse on my computer and get them that way.
I do that too. Sometimes when I can't I post the picture to Flickr and then copy the URL to paste in the top box. Only disadvantage of Flickr is what might happen like the changes to another 'so called free for life hosting site' that changed it's mind. Also if you delete a picture on Flickr the link to CO will also disappear leaving just a blank placeholder. That's not cool especially when others may be looking for a picture in a thread and it's gone.
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Frank Ignachuck

There is no good reason to continue to use Vista or XP, and, as Joe P says, Vista was one of the worst versions of Windows ever implemented. In its zeal to be security-conscious, Microsoft went overboard, requiring "user authorization" or whatever it was called practically every time you clicked the mouse button. Windows 7 came along quickly afterward pretty much because Vista was so universally disliked.

We wouldn't have any of these problems with VMS......
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Shoveling Snow

Dog
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Shoveling Snow

Email me or call and I can walk you thru it Eric
Old October 20th, 2018, 03:38 PM

test with 7
Old October 20th, 2018, 03:39 PM

Well, It must be me because I am trying it with windows 7 and still not working
Old October 20th, 2018, 03:42 PM

test
Old October 20th, 2018, 04:56 PM

Works for me with Windows 7 64 bit..........
Old October 20th, 2018, 06:42 PM
same but different

test

Thought I'd give it a try. Ok, that worked pretty easy. Good luck Eric.

Edit: I've struggled with posting pics in the past, but somehow figured it out while back. This one was pretty standard experience I've had in the past. I don't know if this helps, but I always put the pic (copy) on my desktop first before I attempt to post at all the forums I visit. For some reason that makes it easier for me. I still struggle at getting a photo from somewhere on the web into a posting vs the pic I all ready have on my system. Windows 7 user.

Last edited by don71; October 20th, 2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old October 21st, 2018, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Email me or call and I can walk you thru it Eric
I am in Minneapolis till Thursday.
Old October 21st, 2018, 08:17 AM

Pic Upload

This confused me for a while too. Instead of clicking on the paperclip click on the Image button next to the smile. That is the only way I can get it to work.

Old October 21st, 2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Instead of clicking on the paperclip click on the Image button next to the smile.
I have never used the paperclip. I was playing around with it just now and it works very similarly to the mountain range icon. But there is one difference I noticed. If you use the mountain range icon to upload an image, the image is placed wherever the cursor is in your message. If you want the image to appear between two lines of text, place the cursor there and then click on the mountain range.

But with the paperclip, no matter where the cursor is, if you upload via the paperclip, the image is always placed at the top of the message.

I did a little googling, and the "inline attachment" comes from Outlook and other email programs where it can be used to embed an image in the body of an email, rather than sending it as an attachment. It wouldn't seem to have much utility in an environment like classic olds, where we're not sending emails but rather posting in a chat environment. Unless I'm missing some feature of it, if I were the authors of this website, I'd get rid of the paperclip. It just adds confusion.
Old October 21st, 2018, 10:11 AM
Shoveling Snow

Got it to work again. Yea.
Old October 21st, 2018, 12:09 PM

test
Old October 21st, 2018, 12:11 PM

The paperclip, mountain icon, and manage attachments all do the same thing for me. I get the picture from my computer and then hit upload and the screen goes away and goes back to the thread so I post it and the picture does not show up
Old October 21st, 2018, 01:24 PM

What version of what browser are you using? To see the version number, click on "Help" and then "About Firefox" if using Firefox. If using Chrome, click on the three vertical dots at the upper right, then on "Help" on the drop-down menu that appears, and then "About Google Chrome."
Old October 23rd, 2018, 01:22 PM
IB Staff

Folks, we can't support systems (Windows Vista) or browsers that have not been updated to the latest versions--this is not us forcing users to "keep up", but rather a product of both browser companies and code-language consortiums making sure everyone's on the same page about code security and compatibility across the web.

Big thank you to the folks in here trying to help each other out.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 01:36 PM

If I might clarify here. You don't have to have the latest version of Windows. You just have to have a supported version of Windows. There is a difference. The latest version of Windows is Windows 10, but you don't have to have Windows 10 to have a supported operating system.

The major browsers all support Windows versions going back to Windows 7, so if you use Windows 7, 8, or 10, you will automatically have the latest versions of the major browsers as the browsers keep track of their version on your machine and upgrade themselves automatically when new browser versions come out. As long as you are doing this, you should be ok on this and any other website and not experience the problems that jensenracing and the others using Windows Vista or XP are experiencing.

Everyone who has used Firefox has periodically experienced the little box that pops up when you start the program telling you that "Firefox will restart in a moment after the latest updates are installed." This happens automatically in the background. Chrome goes one further and doesn't even bother with the little pop-up box. It just automatically updates itself in the background without ever mentioning it.

Anyone using Vista or an earlier version of Windows will automatically NOT have the latest version of their browser because the browsers don't support the older operating systems and thus won't update themselves beyond a certain version as versions beyond that point become incompatible with the older versions of Windows. As time moves forward and new versions of the browsers are released, the version you have on your computer becomes increasingly outdated, and eventually you run into problems like you're experiencing, which is websites starting to not function properly.

Moral of the story: work with a supported version of Windows or whatever operating system you are using.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 01:43 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If I might clarify here. You don't have to have the latest version of Windows. You just have to have a supported version of Windows. There is a difference. The latest version of Windows is Windows 10, but you don't have to have Windows 10 to have a supported operating system.

The major browsers all support Windows versions going back to Windows 7, so if you use Windows 7, 8, or 10, you will automatically have the latest versions of the major browsers as the browsers keep track of their version on your machine and upgrade themselves automatically when new browser versions come out. As long as you are doing this, you should be ok on this and any other website and not experience the problems that jensenracing and the others using Windows Vista or XP are experiencing.

Everyone who has used Firefox has periodically experienced the little box that pops up when you start the program telling you that "Firefox will restart in a moment after the latest updates are installed." This happens automatically in the background. Chrome goes one further and doesn't even bother with the little pop-up box. It just automatically updates itself in the background without ever mentioning it.

Anyone using Vista or an earlier version of Windows will automatically NOT have the latest version of their browser because the browsers don't support the older operating systems and thus won't update themselves beyond a certain version as versions beyond that point become incompatible with the older versions of Windows. As time moves forward and new versions of the browsers are released, the version you have on your computer becomes increasingly outdated, and eventually you run into problems like you're experiencing, which is websites starting to not function properly.

Moral of the story: work with a supported version of Windows or whatever operating system you are using.

This is all correct.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 01:58 PM
MOTORHEAD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does the new pictures work?