Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Wow. I wish this radio was for a 1972.

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2017, 12:56 PM

Wow. I wish this radio was for a 1972.

Seems like a pretty good deal for a new radio if it isn't a hoax:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-67-OLDS...RR~Vno&vxp=mtr

Tom
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:47 PM

Says it's a reproduction in the description, so not sure if that price is decent or not for an AM replacement radio.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Yeah. I guess it couldn't be a good reproduction if they accurately re-engineered this for that price....
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Obviously a reproduction when you compare the new one (top) to an original (bottom). It DOES beg the question, why would anyone repro an AM radio for a 1967 full size Olds? You can probably count the market for such a product on the thumbs of one hand.

Old March 4th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Olds Fever

IMO It's a poor reproduction since it doesn't even say Oldsmobile on the face... Not to mention the push buttons aren't designed correctly either... I guess you will get what you pay for... Cheap money for a cheap looking reproduction...
Old March 4th, 2017, 03:45 PM

It's an OLD reproduction made by a company here in MA. They used to make them for many models, they were really cheap compared to GM radios at the time. Maybe that radio cost's like 25.00 in 1967. You could buy them from JC Whitney, they were common around here. They were a smaller more efficient radio than GM's radios. GM radios have always been big and clunky compared to the aftermarket. People in 1967, didn't care if the radio was exactly the same, nobody noticed. We are WAY fussier now about stuff than back then!
Old March 5th, 2017, 01:06 AM

i remember that company,i had one of their am/fm 8 track players that mounted under the dash in my 70 442 vert i used to have.the fm stereo was really great sounding. went to their factory on the malden/melrose line and bought another slide-out mounting bracket to put in my winter s-box so i had tunes in both cars using the same stereo.back then alot of us had a nice car and a winter s-box where good tunes and a good heater were a must
Old March 5th, 2017, 01:20 AM

this is the unit i have now in my 70 cutlass replica,antique automobile radio of fla. not cheap $550.but dead on as far as a reproduction radio,bezels and ***** are steel and has all the modern bells and whistles.sounds fantastic
Old March 5th, 2017, 10:57 AM

Wow. It does look amazing... Thanks for all the interesting info. I've noticed that some radios seem to have black push buttons. Is that a pre- vs. late 70, 71, 72 thing?
Old March 5th, 2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Achcoastal
this is the unit i have now in my 70 cutlass replica,antique automobile radio of fla. not cheap $550.but dead on as far as a reproduction radio,bezels and ***** are steel and has all the modern bells and whistles.sounds fantastic
Thanks for your eval on this radio. Great to get your review on it. I just ordered the same radio a week ago ... they're built to order. (I was able to negotiate only a slightly better price.) Hope the wattage is enough (45 watts/channel @ 4 ohms) to drive some sound in a convertible with top down. (1 - 4"x10" DVC speaker under dash, and 2 - 6"x9"s in rear). If not, I'll add a small powered sub-woofer off the sub pre-amp jack on the radio. It looks stock, but has modern audio features like bluetooth and a mini-jack for audio input.
Old March 6th, 2017, 07:04 AM

yes the black pushbuttons would be wrong for a 70-72 radio although many companys advertise their radios as direct reproductions of the originals...not even close compared to the AAR models.they may cost $200-250 less but they dont look original at all imo and thats what i was looking for. I'm running two 6x9 rockford/fosgates and the volume is extremely loud and clear with a quarter turn of the ****
Old March 6th, 2017, 05:52 PM

In earlier years black buttons were on the low end radio and chrome buttons on the better Deluxe and Wonder Bar units. '64 Chebby had black buttons on both AM and AM/FM radios , I suppose because it's a low end car !!
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:35 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
In earlier years black buttons were on the low end radio and chrome buttons on the better Deluxe and Wonder Bar units. '64 Chebby had black buttons on both AM and AM/FM radios , I suppose because it's a low end car !!
I guess that was before "Black is Beautiful" (Sorry, bad joke. I couldn't resist)...

Great information here about radios. I always love to learn from those that follow all these kinds of details.