General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Insurance for cars being restored

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2017, 06:47 PM

Insurance for cars being restored

Seeing these last two fires that consumed our fellow members cars got me to thinking...

Is it possible to get insurance on cars that are under construction? I received an email today from Hagerty, but upon reading it I believe it said it is an add-on, and I no longer have another classic car to add it on to. Edit- I may have misread the email. I will call them tomorrow to get a quote...

Certainly with all the rebuilds going on it has to be available.

Thanks!
Bill

Last edited by btrbill; March 1st, 2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:39 AM

They do.
The add on part probably means you have to get a base policy in place for said car. Things like insuring the parts you have that are not on a car is also an add on.

When you call Hagerty they will explain it. I have spoken with them several times of the last several years. (Not claim related thank God)

They have always been helpful, professional, knowledgeable and best of all not only act like they want your business but act like you are their best customer.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:49 AM

My company has it too, I believe. American Collectors. Covers parts in the garage, as well.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:02 AM

Hagerty also has an "add on" for your tools in your garage. It is a little expensive, but at least you can get it if you think that you have a need. Hagerty is a great company to be insured with, and in the past, I have had a small glass claim, and one paint claim, and in both instances, they paid it promptly and fairly. The paint claim happened one summer after filling the car with gas. The car was parked in the sun, and the gas expanded, and started spilling out the filler pipe, running down the quarter panel. I don't know what was in that gas, but it peeled the paint off the quarter. They paid to repair the damage. The adjuster told me that it wasn't the first time that he had seen this happen.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:50 PM
Justin

I was using State Farm at the time of my build my wheels were stolen during it and with in 24 hrs they had a check for me gratefully I was able to catch them and recover my wheels 25hrs later

at the time I had parking insurance as I was under construction building her
I paid about 5 bucks a month for the coverage
not sure if that is correct term but that is what my agent called it said I was 100% covered for anything except if I was driving it on the road