General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What's this crud?

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2017, 01:54 PM

What's this crud?

So my question is, does anyone know what this black stuff is called that is joined at the seams? Or what would be a good replacement? It's falling apart and I'm going to clean, paint, and put down some dynamat and dynaliner but I want to seal these seams first.
Old January 16th, 2017, 02:05 PM

sound deadener over seam sealer. not sure if its factory or if po put it on the sealer to reseal it. should check to see if the sealer is brittle and peels easy,if it is replace it befor e the dynamat is laid down.
Old January 16th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
sound deadener over seam sealer. not sure if its factory or if po put it on the sealer to reseal it. should check to see if the sealer is brittle and peels easy,if it is replace it befor e the dynamat is laid down.
Well that's why I mentioned that it was falling apart. Because it is brittle. That's why I asked does anyone know of a good replacement for it?
Old January 16th, 2017, 03:53 PM

Chip it all out. Clean with wire brush. Paint if metal is bare. Eastwood sells seam sealer. I like the stuff in a can for this and brush it on with a plumbers flux brush.
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:51 PM

^^ this

Never put anything over something that is falling apart.
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:57 PM

Seam sealer. I use a pneumatic needle scaler to get most of it out. Note that it is a tough and messy job - ESPECIALLY if you use a wire wheel. Most of the seams are quite strong so you can use harsh means to get them cleaned up. They don't need to be perfect - they'll just be covered back up with goop.

I prefer the stuff in caulking tubes. I find it easier to apply. YMMV. Eastwood's stuff is fine. You can find it elsewhere as well, even with a selection of colors. A paint shop told me that if it's going to be painted, they want to apply and paint it in the same day.

Check the exterior seams also - that's where water gets caught and things rust apart. The seam along the back of the trunk, behind the bumper, is a really bad one. It just holds water. Then there's several along/around the cowl, and across the floor on the inside and outside.
Old January 16th, 2017, 07:22 PM

What your showing is a tarry sealer they used at the factory/seam sealer. My 67 had the same, it scraped out easily with a narrow putty knife/scraper. I used SEM seam sealer it is excellent and stays flexible but paintable. Some cheaper seam sealers are like thick laquer paint, they will dry and shrink, the SEM wont. An automotive paint store should have it or order it online.
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:13 PM

3m seam sealer.
Old January 17th, 2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
What your showing is a tarry sealer they used at the factory/seam sealer. My 67 had the same, it scraped out easily with a narrow putty knife/scraper. I used SEM seam sealer it is excellent and stays flexible but paintable. Some cheaper seam sealers are like thick laquer paint, they will dry and shrink, the SEM wont. An automotive paint store should have it or order it online.
So should I paint first after the clean up? Or should I clean up, seal the seam, then paint the whole floor?
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by m371961
Chip it all out. Clean with wire brush. Paint if metal is bare. Eastwood sells seam sealer. I like the stuff in a can for this and brush it on with a plumbers flux brush.
Should I paint the bare metal before I seal the seam?
Old January 18th, 2017, 02:46 PM

I like paint before seam sealer. Final paint after. Others may differ.