Throwout bearing not centered...

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2017 | 12:39 PM

Throwout bearing not centered...

I am getting ready to fit my bellhousing to the engine. It's an ancient scatterproof unit (don't know the brand) and I am using a Centerforce throwout brg. I have tried to assemble this with two different clutch forks, an OEM and a repop. With either fork, when I install the bearing as it's shown in the manual (bottomed out in the fork), the whole thing is about 1/2" off center to the left. The fork is properly seated on the ball so I don't know what else may be the issue.

When I move the bearing further out of the fork toward center it looks right, but that's not how it's shown in the manual. Can anyone who has done this before tell me what, if anything is wrong? Will the bearing self center in fork when I put the tranny on or is this whole thing gonna fall apart?

Old January 6th, 2017 | 12:46 PM

I don't know what reference manual you're looking at but the upper pic is how it's supposed sit in the fork
Old January 6th, 2017 | 12:49 PM

And it rides on the front collar of the transmission and will self center.
Old January 6th, 2017 | 01:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RandyS
And it rides on the front collar of the transmission and will self center.
^^^This. The bearing rides on the front bearing retainer of the transmission. That's why the retainer has that smooth surface around the input shaft. The position of the bearing before the trans is installed is irrelevant. Stop stressing out over it.

Old January 6th, 2017 | 01:36 PM

Like Joe said. It doesn't really matter but it's a hell of a lot easier to stab the transmission if it's close before you start. My clutch fork actually fell off the ball stud and it still worked. The only reason I realized it was off was because I kept feeling a clicking sound and the adjustment was way off.
Old January 6th, 2017 | 02:22 PM

Awesome, great to know. Thanks!
Old January 6th, 2017 | 04:50 PM

And if that was my bell housing I would remove the really thick looking paint that covering up the scale and whatnot thats on the surface where the transmission case contacts, also the center hole of the bell housing, get the paint off. You want the trans case to be flush and the hole to be clean so the trans will be centered and flush with the housing, just a thought.....
Old January 6th, 2017 | 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
And if that was my bell housing I would remove the really thick looking paint that covering up the scale and whatnot thats on the surface where the transmission case contacts, also the center hole of the bell housing, get the paint off. You want the trans case to be flush and the hole to be clean so the trans will be centered and flush with the housing, just a thought.....
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that but it's a good idea. I'll hit it with the paint stripper tomorrow morning and get it smoothed out.