General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Any winter projects

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2016, 09:54 AM

Any winter projects

I'm going to finish my ac install "hopefully ". I also believe I have a colappsed lifter or 2 so I want to look at that.
Railguy
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:02 AM

Planning on replacing the front end bushings/tie rods/ball joints on my '71 at a minimum. Will hopefully end up with solid fenders, painted frame, new grills and bumper in the process. Replacing the timing gears/chain as well.

Figuring on hitting a lot of the MAWs along the way. Remains to be seen as to how much I actually get done!

Also in the agenda is the removal/swapping of parts I want to keep from the '72 then moving the '72 on to a new owner.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:06 AM

A little more than a winter project, but I really want to take my Rallye 350 down to the frame, but I am having trouble finding a good body/paint shop. So may postpone.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:10 AM

My list is long but other than the "usual" stuff I want to determine the condition of my late brother's 72 Supreme, specifically the engine. Unfortunately, I do not have a heated garage/shop to work, just a drafty old machinery shed with a dirt/gravel floor.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:19 AM

I'm not bragging but, no, I have no projects scheduled. I finally have my '71 dialed in just the way that I want her.

Just in time to put her in storage for the winter. arrgh
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:29 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I am hoping to be able to start fixing the rust issues in the rear quarters.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:56 AM
delete

Pulling the carb off for a rebuild & going back to a stock distributor. I currently have an HEI. I have a points distributor with the correct casting #'s for a '70 442 automatic. I want to have it gone through & do an electronic conversion for it. Carb has been rebuilt but sat for a while. It's not quite as crisp as I'd like it to be. Also have a pin hole in one of the radiator tanks i want to deal with before it becomes a bigger issue. Downside is I have the worst garage ever. I have to park the car in backwards and work on it with the garage door open.

I bought one of these things to help with my efforts. I don't expect for it to be great but hopefully it's usable. it's still in the box.
http://www.harborfreight.com/120-led...ght-60793.html
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:14 PM

I want to swap engines in my 77 cutlass. I don't know how motivated I am going to be though when I walk into my garage and the temp is 10 degrees..... I don't have heat in there.
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Administrator

As soon as I get the 57 Borgward a 67 Cougar out of the shop I'm going to convert my Type O to a posi with a set of 342 gears. Also rebush the control arms.
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Hookers under Hood

Well... I don't have anything to do on the 76' since I had to store it at a facility not far from me. $115.00/month not heated!!
Just too many cars here at home and no room to keep my 76'.
I'll be seeing my buddy "JACK" often throughout this winter I'm sure haha, and I told the wife that I'll be riding in er' until spring. She kinda blew me off on that one haha.
Man I hate that, when they just don't wana' take ya' up on something good!!!

Cheers, enjoy your winter projects!!
Eric
Old October 27th, 2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jharsh
A little more than a winter project, but I really want to take my Rallye 350 down to the frame, but I am having trouble finding a good body/paint shop. So may postpone.
Did you give up on John?
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:19 PM

Ill keep working on the almost 4 year project 67 442. Its coming along nice. The body got paint last weekend, the rest this weekend. I hope to have pics to post soon. I have painted other cars and had great results. I painted the doors, fenders, they came out great. The trunk and hood looked really nice but had a few streaks in the metallic. I have put too much time and money into this project to "settle" for streaks. So i decided i cannot paint a car every 10 years or so and get great results. So i decided to hire a real painter, i have already bought all the paint, PPG. I offered him 1000 bucks to come to my house and paint it and he accepted. Hes been painting for 20 years and also paints for a local restoration shop. So im excited! The body is still on the rotisserie and soon will be reunited with the frame! Wow, thought this day would never get here. And my wheels came in today, very cool! Still a long way to go but a big hurdle almost over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
011.JPG (1.21 MB, 30 views)
021.JPG (1.60 MB, 28 views)
027.JPG (1.98 MB, 28 views)
029.JPG (2.02 MB, 26 views)
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:27 PM

The first pic show the hood and trunk that i painted, if you look closely you can see a couple of streaks down the back of the trunk and there was a slightly darker spot in the middle of the hood, all do to the jerk behind the trigger LOL. Anyway that wont do, thus the painter Matt in the pic. Also PPG 2010 clear is garbage IMO, It orange peels like a mother bear. But thats what the PPG guy said i should use... never again! We switched to Matrix MS42GL clearcoat, it shoots nice and smooth with minimal orange peel, will sand and buff easily. Ill have more pics soon. Anywho, have fun
Later
Steve
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:09 PM

On the 66 I plan to do direct port fuel injection, redo some of the exhaust and make the car look more stock.
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Re painting the ol' girl and fixing all the dings dents and old repairs that need a little tlc to get it all in one color again . Adding new front tubular control arms uppers and lowers , and shaving about 200 lbs off it in the process of all this lol. This was my big motivator to get my garage all done. well atleast to keep it warm and well lit.

Old October 27th, 2016, 10:39 PM

What's this winter you speak of?
Old October 28th, 2016, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
What's this winter you speak of?
Is that the time when temperatures over there plummet all the way into the low nineties?
Old October 28th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Planning on a 2004R swap into the 70 S with braided cooler lines, a H pipe in the exhaust, cruise control off the 88 onto the 70, find my brake leak and redo the front brakes on the 70 as well. I also need to drop the fuel tank and replace the sender so the fuel gauge reads. Hoping for 30 mpg next year. First the 350 and 2004R has to come out of the 88 Cutlass.
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:38 AM

More body work for me this winter on my 66 project. Going slow but with this new silicon bronze wire I picked up I'm hoping to go a little quicker on the sheet metal repairs.

Yours is looking good Steverw.
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:48 AM

Being as the top wouldn't go down on the 55 yesterday I will be looking in to that this winter Oh yea, I blew the rear end out of the Miata last week so that has to be addressed soon.

I can't believe I blew a rear end on a car that doesn't have enough horse power to blow it's own nose... It never ends.... Tedd
Old October 28th, 2016, 08:13 AM

Winter showing its cold head, im planning to retire from work at any time, until spring, and spend that free time rebuilding my rear + adding TrueTrac+ swapping gears, and also rebuilding my th350.

Would have alot more to do, but owning a house takes it toll too at repair-expenses, so i think its just those two. Little By little, it will be ready, some day.

Already been under zero here for many many nights, and some days too + snow has been raining, but too "warm" still to not melt it to the ground soon after its rained down.
Old October 28th, 2016, 08:51 AM

I'm torn between changing gears from 22x to 22w or z in the Muncie OR an FI Tech unit. I'm leaning towards the gears as I can sell the old ones to my buddy for Drag Radial $$$$. On the other hand, fuel infection would be cool as heck, too.
The 180 degree headers are going to have to wait until next year.
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:28 AM

I always load my winter up with more projects than I can get done. I set aside things I can rebuild or restore that can be done in the basement and not stink up the house like a garage. I have been doing this for 3 summers and have yet to start on the first one. Other more important things keep popping up.

Now I am working on the 71 Convertible and hope to have it done before Winter so I can get in the basement and start rebuilding 8 track players and radios.
Old October 28th, 2016, 12:14 PM
4 Barrels of Laughs

yes, rehab the BBC in my sub and put in a new headliner, and install led strip lighting in the garage and get the HOES fixtures down (no, thats not a reference to lose women, I used 110W HO 'freezer' lights so I had lighting in the winter...)
Old October 28th, 2016, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Well... I don't have anything to do on the 76' since I had to store it at a facility not far from me. $115.00/month not heated!!
Just too many cars here at home and no room to keep my 76'.
I'll be seeing my buddy "JACK" often throughout this winter I'm sure haha, and I told the wife that I'll be riding in er' until spring. She kinda blew me off on that one haha.
Man I hate that, when they just don't wana' take ya' up on something good!!!

Cheers, enjoy your winter projects!!
Eric

$115 I WISH!!!

The cheapest 10x20 storage space that is my area is $190 a month. The rest are going for between $210 - $225. And "No" that's not heated.
Old October 28th, 2016, 06:58 PM

got the 49 into heated storage for the winter. have to get the motor changed in my nova and hopefully get the 65 on the rotisserie. and all the other little stuff that goes on in life
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
$115 I WISH!!!

The cheapest 10x20 storage space that is my area is $190 a month. The rest are going for between $210 - $225. And "No" that's not heated.
damn you need to move.out here in ia we pay 40-50 a month for a 10x20.
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
How much would a small garage cost?
Railguy
Old October 28th, 2016, 08:26 PM

I have a fresh master cylinder and distribution block/prop valve and flex hose for over the rear end to replace on my 78 Delta. I only want to have to bleed the system once.

I'm ramping up my search for a G-Body Wagon too.

I also have a complete Total Control Products front suspension system: tubular upper and lower control arms, sway bar, idler arm, strut rods, cowl brace, and a set of rear CalTracs bars to install on my custom 68 Cougar that I've had for 38 years.

The car for 38 years that is....
Old October 29th, 2016, 05:49 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

$115 I WISH!!!

$50/mo near me for semi heated. ITs the old evenflo plant in tionesta PA. it houses offices inside who bleed heat so while the factory is not heated, the residual heat keeps it above freezing. cars/boats 50, campers 60, motorhomes 70. I have the boat in there now, the motorhome goes in next weekend and the regency goes in fairly soon.
Old October 29th, 2016, 05:52 AM
72 Olds CS

$115 I WISH!!!

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
In central mass 10-20 mini storage is 120/mo. I store my car at a place w secure garages and other stored vehicles 70/month.....it pays to look around.
Old October 29th, 2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
In central mass 10-20 mini storage is 120/mo. I store my car at a place w secure garages and other stored vehicles 70/month.....it pays to look around.

$70 a month around where I live (southern Maryland) gets you an outdoor, uncovered parking spot at a storage facility. That's no exaggeration. I've been checking.

I don't know what has caused prices to skyrocket around here. The same storage place that I kept my Olds last winter for $76 a month in a 10x20 unit, now wants $198 a month. And it's not just them, all of the storage sites are now wanting crazy money.
Old October 29th, 2016, 02:29 PM
72 Olds CS

Yeah I was surprised at the prices when I first started looking around several years back, I lucked into the guy I have now and he stated then we will never raise the fee for return paying customers. He's got a really good facility not heated but insulated dry secure garages w many other cars there too.
Old October 29th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Hookers under Hood

$115 I WISH!!!

$190. bucks a month up to $225.00 that's just insane, I just might get into the storage business on the side FFS.
I called a few places up in my area and a heated space would have been $170. but I had to have the car in by October 1st and couldn't get it out until May 1st so I didn't want the car away that long.
But I hear ya the prices @ storage places are getting expensive!!!
Old October 29th, 2016, 02:49 PM

I wanted to put pops pontiac in storage but the cost is rediculous. 125 a month. Screw that. I just turned the car around in my front yard and backed it in against one wall. I got 3 ft to work in around the car but if I push it with dollies to one side I got almost 6 per side. Dollies and car Covers cost me 200 . Much cheaper lol.
Old October 29th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Re painting the ol' girl and fixing all the dings dents and old repairs that need a little tlc to get it all in one color again . Adding new front tubular control arms uppers and lowers , and shaving about 200 lbs off it in the process of all this lol. This was my big motivator to get my garage all done. well atleast to keep it warm and well lit.

Looks good copper, lots of room in ther with really good lighting, I've been meaning to do my garage for the last 10 years HAHA, just never seem to find the time.
I put an electric door opener ( well I had it installed lol) but still no where near what your looks like.
I still have the open studs with no dry wall or insulation haha.
Looks great, good work!!
Old October 29th, 2016, 03:12 PM

Mine was open studs with half insulated for 5 years. Finally got around to it. Actually member 67 cutlassfreak and my girlfriend's brother in law did most of the work. I was just getting in the way lol. I did the body work on the freaks 67 and constantly fix the gf's sister's car so I guess I was cashing in my favors lol.
Old October 29th, 2016, 05:54 PM

heated storage for my 49 olds...10.00 a month! should put my nova in there also
Old October 30th, 2016, 03:25 PM

start work on my newly acquired 71 442. custom drive shaft made, upper control arm bushings and knock out a little bit of the rust. come spring, she gets painted. and then there's my 1951 M37 Dodge Power wagon that I have all torn down and getting ready to paint it and put it back together. too many projects.
Old October 30th, 2016, 08:15 PM

I've been thinkin about fuel injection and upgrading to coilovres not sure I can afford both this winter, so probably fuel injection first then see how the old bank account looks. You never know if I'm lucky might get to do both!
CJ

Quick Reply: Any winter projects