General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Swirl Reduction with Meguiars UC

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Swirl Reduction with Meguiars UC

Spent the majority if the day (6hrs )washing claying and removing swirl marks with meguiars ultimate compound. I used a black and decker orbital polisher (cheap but effective) to compound and wax. Wow. The car is so much shinier, the paint is more vibrant.

Before. Look at those mean swirls..<br/>

After. Not all gone but a considerable reduction.

Before (indoors)

After (indoors)

Meguiars Ultimate compound is a good product overall. I liked how it reduced swirls and made the paint stand out more. Following up with wax really made the paint look wonderful. The B&D WP900 is good, but the pads it came with are really bad.. Only the blue wax applicator pad was good, the wool pads could do better. I think this machine would be better if one were to attach Velcro to the backing pad and attach a better pad like those from Megs or Chemical Guys etc. Next time I touch up swirls I will definitely do that

I give this a 7/10 I am satisfied.
Old June 27th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Hookers under Hood

I used the Meguires ultimate compound with good results a couple years ago. I have tried the gold class but it seems to leave more of a haze appearance even after buffing really well.
I have since been using the gold class spray wax, it seems to leave a much better shine than waxing and buffing.
I can't seem to find a wax that is as good as the gold class spray wax. You may want to try it after the next wash.

Eric
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I used the Meguires ultimate compound with good results a couple years ago. I have tried the gold class but it seems to leave more of a haze appearance even after buffing really well.
I have since been using the gold class spray wax, it seems to leave a much better shine than waxing and buffing.
I can't seem to find a wax that is as good as the gold class spray wax. You may want to try it after the next wash.

Eric
I just used some turtle wax that was sitting in my cabinet haha, it worked though (dried almost immediately, that's what I get for working in 85* weather). Is there a limit to how much you can compound? I'm thinking of compounding again next year but with a better pad! Still wow, meguiars does work wonders.
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Hookers under Hood

I'm not sure how many times you can compound before causing problems, all I know is that once was good enough for me haha. Although I don't have a good polishing unit just armstrong buffing LOL.
I really like the turtle wax black, its works well on my black G8 you may want to give it a shot on your stripes even thou you made them look really good with the Meguires.

Did you put the 442 badges on the car ? They look good with your paint color.
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I'm not sure how many times you can compound before causing problems, all I know is that once was good enough for me haha. Although I don't have a good polishing unit just armstrong buffing LOL.
I really like the turtle wax black, its works well on my black G8 you may want to give it a shot on your stripes even thou you made them look really good with the Meguires.

Did you put the 442 badges on the car ? They look good with your paint color.
no they were there when i got the car