General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Adjustable height suspension

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2016, 02:08 PM

Adjustable height suspension

Anybody got any experience of putting adjustable height suspension into a 68 Cutlass. In the UK we have loads of speed bumps in the road and my car keeps bottoming out scraping the underneath. If I have anybody sitting in the back it makes it even worse so a system I could adjust would be good for me.
Can you recommend any complete kits. I assume most companies would ship to the UK.
Thanks for your advise.
Old June 15th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Beer Connoisseur

The only thing you can do is bag it. You could run coil overs, but they more for lowering the car and you have to jack the car up to adjust them.
The cost is around $1200 (depends on the kit) and they are not that hard to install. The ride will actually improve and you can change the height at the press of the button.
Old June 15th, 2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
Anybody got any experience of putting adjustable height suspension into a 68 Cutlass. In the UK we have loads of speed bumps in the road and my car keeps bottoming out scraping the underneath. If I have anybody sitting in the back it makes it even worse so a system I could adjust would be good for me.
Can you recommend any complete kits. I assume most companies would ship to the UK.
Thanks for your advise.
I use drag bags by airlift in the back but unless you install s compressor you'll have adjust them outside the car.
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you simply want to raise the suspension for speed bumps, Air Lift bags inside the rear springs as noted above are the easiest solution. Delco made an on-board air shock control system in the 1960s and 70s that included an under-dash control panel and gauge. These show up on ebay regularly. You can use the compressor from the 1980s cars with air suspension.

Under dash control:

Early style control:

1980s on-board compressor:

Old June 16th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Joe there are much more efficient and better looking systems than that.

Also raising the rear will still scrape the front over huge speed bumps in europe.
My compressor

Old June 16th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Joe there are much more efficient and better looking systems than that.

Also raising the rear will still scrape the front over huge speed bumps in europe.
Of course there are. My point was the the cheapest and easiest solution. One can always drop $3K on an airbag suspension with a shiny chrome air compressor. My solution could be implemented for under $100, as I've bought the compressors for $15 at a wrecking yard, the controller for $15 on ebay, and the AirLift bags for $50. Throw in the lines and you still get change back from your $100 bill.

I'd rather put the $2900 "savings" into the engine.
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Beer Connoisseur

$3k?? The whole system can be had for less than $1k and when it comes to my suspension I wouldn't trust junkyard parts.
He is in UK I doubt he has access to a junkyard with american cars, hell I'm in California and the closest thing we have is pick n pull. The risk involved with buying used crap that somebody else pulled, and having it shipped to UK, only to find out that it doesn't work, is not worth it for him. Do it once, do it right.
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Beer Connoisseur

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIAIR-480C-A...BV3y6m&vxp=mtr

Complete system with premium components for less than $800, add your brackets ($100) and you are still under a $1k mark. The ride comfort and height will be fully adjustable. Once installed worry free for years.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

$3k?? The whole system can be had for less than $1k and when it comes to my suspension I wouldn't trust junkyard parts.
He is in UK I doubt he has access to a junkyard with american cars, hell I'm in California and the closest thing we have is pick n pull. The risk involved with buying used crap that somebody else pulled, and having it shipped to UK, only to find out that it doesn't work, is not worth it for him. Do it once, do it right.
Look, every part on your car currently, including the suspension, is "used". Unless you bought the car brand new, you have no idea how it was treated in the past. More to the point, the only "junkyard" part I've suggested is the air compressor, which is not directly in the suspension - it only pumps up the AirLift bags. Once the valve is closed, the compressor is completely out of the loop and even if the bags completely deflate, you still have the stock springs - there is exactly zero impact to the suspension from this "junkyard" part.

Your arguments are illogical.

I merely wanted to point out the limits of available options. The OP can at least make an informed decision. In my personal case, even $1000 is a boatload of money just to clear speed bumps with heavy friends in the back seat. The OP may have different priorities.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:13 AM

Wow that looks like a heck of a deal. I have two questions:
Do they install I place of the springs or inside the springs.
Secondly, why would anyone pay 4 times that for the Ridetech when these are available. Not criticizing, just wondering.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIAIR-480C-A...BV3y6m&vxp=mtr

Complete system with premium components for less than $800, add your brackets ($100) and you are still under a $1k mark. The ride comfort and height will be fully adjustable. Once installed worry free for years.
So how, exactly, does one install these bags in the front of an A-body, where the shock runs up the center of the spring? Are the bags exactly the same installed height as the stock springs, or do you need to fabricate spacers? As they say, "some assembly required".
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So how, exactly, does one install these bags in the front of an A-body, where the shock runs up the center of the spring? Are the bags exactly the same installed height as the stock springs, or do you need to fabricate spacers? As they say, "some assembly required".
Joe: I'm no expert but I believe they take the place of the springs and the shocks, but that's why I asked.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Mounting brackets/spacers are needed, the bag takes a place of a shock and spring. Shock gets relocated to the outside of the control arm.

Mounting brackets for the front.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:32 AM

Mounting brackets/spacers are needed, the bag takes a place of a shock and spring. Shock gets relocated to the outside of the control arm.

Mounting brackets for the front.
Is there a kit for the back as well?
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I have the air bag system in my 67 Impala, after trying out different combos of shocks and springs (eaton springs are $550) I decided to give air bags a shot. Best thing I have ever done, the car doesn't bounce around on the freeway anymore, the cornering improved as much as it can improve on a big ol boat, and the ride is adjustable. When I have the whole family in the car just add little more air to the bags and we are ready to go.
I needed to do something because my house (SF suburbs) has a very steep driveway. Even at stock height I would scrape the rear, so air bags were perfect for me.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Is there a kit for the back as well?
yes there is.

Old June 16th, 2016, 08:43 AM

yes there is.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm sure the OP and I are better armed with choices now.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a bagged suspension. I'm just suggesting that it is significant overkill and non-trivial installation effort if the OP's problem is solely clearing speed bumps.
Old June 18th, 2016, 12:09 AM

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I will definitely be going with a bagged system and a nice shiny compressor.i will give feedback on the results.
Paul.
Old June 18th, 2016, 08:03 AM

Will the OP have any mods to do to the wheel wells for clearance when the car is slammed all the way down?