HELP!!! no fuel going to carb and im stranded!!!

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Gearhead in training

HELP!!! no fuel going to carb and im stranded!!!

So this happened to me earlier today, but i assumed i was out of gas and had my friend bring me a gallon and the car started up after a minute of pumping. Now it just did the same thing but my gauge says i have half a tank. Theres no fuel being pumped to the carb except at the very beginning it looked like a drop came out but that was it. Whats going on!?!
Old June 9th, 2016, 05:38 PM

Could either be a bad fuel pump or a cracked fuel line. Look under the car for any signs of leaking fuel along the frame rail.
Old June 9th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Hookers under Hood

Take the line off going to the carb point it towards the gas can your buddy just brought you, and crank the engine over.
Check the fuel filter out as well. Make sure its not in backwards in the event you just replaced it.
The pump may need to be replaced if you get little to no fuel going to the gas can.
It could be a line blockage, leak or the sock in the tank, start with the simple tests first.
Old June 9th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Gearhead in training

I dont see any signs of fuel underneath the car, and this happened earlier today but ive been driving since then. Ive turned it off and on at least 3 times since with no issues. Could the fuel pump do that?
Old June 9th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's possible.

But first you need to be sure that the cause of your not starting was really a lack of fuel, and not some other problem.

- Eric
Old June 9th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by 76olds
Take the line off going to the carb point it towards the gas can your buddy just brought you, and crank the engine over.
Check the fuel filter out as well. Make sure its not in backwards in the event you just replaced it.
The pump may need to be replaced if you get little to no fuel going to the gas can.
It could be a line blockage or the sock in the tank, start with the simple tests first.

Alright ill give that a shot. I thought when the fuel pump went out that was it. Its either dead or alive. I didnt think it could intermittently work
Old June 9th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, I'm not sure about that, either.

If you had a cracked hose, it could leak air in some positions, but not in others.

This is a tough one.

- Eric
Old June 9th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I have had mechanical fuel pumps run and not run but as said, check for cracked lines and hoses, also had that happen and had the same symptoms.
Old June 9th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Northern Custom Cruiser
I dont see any signs of fuel underneath the car, and this happened earlier today but ive been driving since then. Ive turned it off and on at least 3 times since with no issues. Could the fuel pump do that?
It sounds like you were actually out of fuel or very low on fuel if you have no issues now.
Perhaps your fuel gauge is the problem now.
Now that its running do you hear the fuel pump ticking at all ?
Old June 9th, 2016, 09:04 PM

Pour some fuel down the carb. No start? Try checking for spark. You tube has some videos. Good luck
Old June 9th, 2016, 09:05 PM

Pour some fuel down the carb. No start? Try pulling the coil wire off and checking for spark. You tube has some videos. Good luck
Old June 9th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Maintained

So this happened to me earlier today, but i assumed i was out of gas and had my friend bring me a gallon and the car started up after a minute of pumping. Now it just did the same thing but my gauge says i have half a tank. Theres no fuel being pumped to the carb except at the very beginning it looked like a drop came out but that was it. Whats going on!?!
Bad fuel pump, plugged gas line or filters, or vacuum lock in the gas tank.
Fuel pumps can run fine at idle but fail under load due to fuel starvation from the diaphragm being weak. Gaslines can plug from debris or cracks and filters in the tank, inline, or at the carb can stop fuel reaching the engine. Plugged gas tank vent tubes can cause a vacumn lock in the gas tank.....make sure to open your gas cap next time this happens to release the vacuum in the tank.
Old June 10th, 2016, 04:58 AM

First thing ..check the damn fuel filter. If you ran it low, you pulled a bunch of crap up from the bottom of the tank. Been there, done it. Swap the filter ... Do not try to run it without or that same crap is going to wind up in the jets and then you're in a whole new world of ****.
Old June 10th, 2016, 05:35 AM

The sock in your tank can cause this type of problem if it goes bad by blocking the line. Come and goes by moving away from outlet then return to outlet from tank. Fuel pumps can work intermittently.
Old June 10th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wr1970
The sock in your tank can cause this type of problem if it goes bad by blocking the line. Come and goes by moving away from outlet then return to outlet from tank. Fuel pumps can work intermittently.
^^^THIS. If you did run the tank dry, you also sucked up decades of rust and crud at the bottom of the tank. This may have clogged the sock, damaged a check valve in the pump, or clogged a jet in the carb.
Old June 10th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Gearhead in training

Well i wasnt able to perform any of these tests yet because i didnt have the adequate tools for the job where i was broke down and after sitting for 5 or so hours the car started again after some vigorous pumping.. It stayed running in idle for a good 15 minutes so i decided to try and take it all the way home and i made it here but that was at like 4 in the morning. Im about to go back outside and see if itll start up now. Today ill start troubleshooting around using the info you guys gave me along with the manuals that i didnt have access to last night. Thanks for all the help and ill be back with any updates.
Old June 10th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Gearhead in training

I have a quick question, what if vandalism was a factor? This new neighbor moved in across the street and hes just one of those violent angry people, like the ones that you van see it in there face. We had an altercation where i had arrived home after being out in a steat park all day and there was a dead cat right where i always park. Needless to say apparently this was his cat and as soon as i got there he came running out of his dark garage and started accusing me of killing his cat and was being totally unreasonable. Like calling me and my stepmom every name in the book and even tried to punch me in the face after shoving me and the cops were called and the whole 9 yards. Im inclined to believe he was hammered by his belligerent behavior and i didnt lay a hand on him but i didnt press and charges. He made it obvious he hates my car and has since then put 2 cigarettes out on my windshield and placed them in between my windshield whiper and windshield. Im wondering if hes done something to my car.
Old June 10th, 2016, 11:56 AM

As for your local idiot, get yo'self a Game Camera or similar surreptitious video/ photo system. I got a Driveway Monitor wireless alert from Shipwreck Tools and I can put the motion sensor anywhere I want. Caught a driveway rummager one night.

As for your car, the most basic test would be to verify flow at the line to the carb. You might want to tell your skill and facility level. IF you don't know how to loosen a fuel line w/o ruining it, you have a lot to learn.

If you do know that, then test for fuel flow to the carb, look for quality of fuel, etc.

If you suspect stuff in the tank look closely for evidence.

Last edited by Octania; June 10th, 2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old June 10th, 2016, 11:59 AM

and a locking gas cap
Old June 10th, 2016, 12:34 PM

Might be worth a shovel visit to the neighbour. I find digging up a section of his front lawn about two and a half feet wide by about seven long ... just lift the turf and reverse it leaving it roots up ... gets the message across real quick.
Old June 10th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Professur
Might be worth a shovel visit to the neighbour. I find digging up a section of his front lawn about two and a half feet wide by about seven long ... just lift the turf and reverse it leaving it roots up ... gets the message across real quick.
Haha!!! Lord Tunder'in Geez boi. I've seen that drivin thru MO-RAY-AL, K-BEC HAHA!!, I just figured they forgot to buy the daisies. Ohhh man too funny!!
Old June 10th, 2016, 02:15 PM

Be very careful when checking your fuel flow. A few years back I was burned pretty badly while dumping a cap full of fuel down the carb, on a car that had been sitting for years. It back fired, I jumped back, and spilt fuel on myself. I got 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Do your testing outside, have a fire extinguisher handy. Have a friend help you. Dissable the ignition system by removing the positive lead to the coil. You could also use a fuel pressure gauge inline with a "T". You could also hook up a vacuum gauge to the feed side of the fuel pump, to see if it's sucking while cranking. Something else you could try would be to shoot some compressed air towards the fuel tank from the fuel pump feed line. If the sock in the tank did pick up debris, and get clogged, you could blow it out. Just short bursts of pressure, don't go crazy with PSI. Also check to make sure the gas tank is venting. One other thing to try would be to pressurize the fuel tank with a rag, and compressed air, at the filler neck with the feed line off the pump. This should help to let you know if there's a pin hole in the steel line, or an obstruction.
Good luck, hope this helps, Dave - The Freak
Old June 10th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Gearhead in training

Im just now beginning to look at it and aftet driving it to where im going to be working on it at its extremely hot... Does this mean anything else? The coolent is clear and the oil looks fine as well
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Gearhead in training

There is definitely no clog in the line, after getting the fuel line off and giving it a go to see how much fuel was getting through it shot all the way across the alley. Im thinking since theres no clog and i was getting plenty of fuel it must be the fuel pump working intermittently. Before i go unscrewing things that have been rusted on for 30 years is there anything i should be aware of as im dropping this gas tank?
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by Octania
As for your local idiot, get yo'self a Game Camera or similar surreptitious video/ photo system. I got a Driveway Monitor wireless alert from Shipwreck Tools and I can put the motion sensor anywhere I want. Caught a driveway rummager one night.

As for your car, the most basic test would be to verify flow at the line to the carb. You might want to tell your skill and facility level. IF you don't know how to loosen a fuel line w/o ruining it, you have a lot to learn.

If you do know that, then test for fuel flow to the carb, look for quality of fuel, etc.

If you suspect stuff in the tank look closely for evidence.
Btw ive already been down the bending fuel lines road and have learned my lesson lol
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Maintained

There is definitely no clog in the line, after getting the fuel line off and giving it a go to see how much fuel was getting through it shot all the way across the alley. Im thinking since theres no clog and i was getting plenty of fuel it must be the fuel pump working intermittently. Before i go unscrewing things that have been rusted on for 30 years is there anything i should be aware of as im dropping this gas tank?
fuel pumps are cheap and easy to replace. i would do that before dropping the gas tank.
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Gearhead in training

Isnt the fuel pump situated inside the top of the gas tank? I was under the impression i had to drop the gas tank down in order to access the fuel pump?
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Maintained

Isnt the fuel pump situated inside the top of the gas tank? I was under the impression i had to drop the gas tank down in order to access the fuel pump?
1983 custom cruiser should have a mechanical fuel pump on the front passenger side of the engine, just under the a/c or alternator if not a/c equipped.

https://www.go-parts.com/7190-oldsmo...l6-6l7-5l.html
Old June 11th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Gearhead in training

Well would you look at that... You just made my day lol this isnt going to be as tough as i thought!
Old June 11th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well would you look at that... You just made my day lol this isnt going to be as tough as i thought!
Don't bet on it. You will need to remove the A.I.R. pump and the front bracket on the A/C compressor mount to get to the fuel pump. Put in new rubber lines now.
Old June 11th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Fuel pump is the round silver thing at the bottom center of the photo.

Old June 11th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Don't bet on it. You will need to remove the A.I.R. pump and the front bracket on the A/C compressor mount to get to the fuel pump. Put in new rubber lines now.
Rubber fuel lines?
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Rubber fuel lines?
The ones that connect the pump to the steel lines.

- Eric
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The ones that connect the pump to the steel lines.

- Eric
Specifically, the ones that run from the steel lines on the frame to the pump. Rubber is required to accommodate engine vibration. There will be one for the fuel inlet to the pump and one for the fuel return line to the tank.
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Gearhead in training

This one?
Attached Images
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Gearhead in training

Oh i see what you mean now, thanks for the clarification
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Gearhead in training

I was reading about certain types of line arnt good quality and get dry and cracked in a year or two. Is there a good kind to look for?
Old June 11th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

I was reading about certain types of line arnt good quality and get dry and cracked in a year or two. Is there a good kind to look for?
I just buy hose by the foot at my local NAPA. Don't let them tell you that you need the high pressure EFI rubber line. You don't.
Old June 11th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I just buy hose by the foot at my local NAPA. Don't let them tell you that you need the high pressure EFI rubber line. You don't.
Gotcha, ill let you guys know how this goes. Thanks alot!
Old June 11th, 2016, 04:37 PM

"Don't let them tell you that you need the high pressure EFI rubber line. You don't."

On the suction side of the pump... I should say you don't need high pressure line, no.

Carefully remove the steel line you show from the pump. Loosened at the top is not a bad idea either. A crowfoot line wrench does wonders for these jobs.

6-pt is less likely to round the line nut. Can be used at the carb too. 5/8"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SnapO...0AAOSwZQxW5NUY

Quick Reply: HELP!!! no fuel going to carb and im stranded!!!