General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

oldsmobile crate engines

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2016, 05:32 PM

oldsmobile crate engines

Has anybody ever hear about this company? http://www.cmengines.com/
Old May 15th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Hookers under Hood

I haven't heard of them myself , however looking through the website the olds engine prices seem very reasonable.
I would question the 50,000 engines built simply because the website doesn't have any pics of past or recent builds until checking the place out.
It could also be owned by an older engine builder who just hasn't set up the website with pics.
Interesting with decent prices.
Old May 16th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

In the interest of once again trying to stop the misuse of a term, a "crate engine" is a brand new engine (in a crate) made from all brand new castings and forgings. Typically the OEMs sell crate engines, but some aftermarket companies also use new castings to build motors (like Dart, for example). The engines this vendor sells are rebuilds, not brand new crate motors.
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Administrator

The company that is referenced is basically an engine job shop no different than others in major cities scattered around the country. Its an inexpensive build that in most cases will last a while not beaten like a rented mule. At $2596 for a long block, I don't see this being built as a rugged performance engine.
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:42 AM

No

Spend your $ wisely.

Hint....these guys aren't a wise choice.
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:42 AM

"REMANUFACTURED HEADS FROM $132.00"

How many D and H heads can I get?
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
"REMANUFACTURED HEADS FROM $132.00"
I'm always amazed when people fall for crap like this. "From $132 means "$132 AND UP". Just like the ads that say "up to 70% off". That statement means discounts range from 0% to 70%. Want to guess where your discount falls?

How many D and H heads can I get?
Oh, probably as many as they can get cores for.

And yes, D and H head cores are certainly within that "FROM $132" pricing.
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:41 AM

I find all this sarcasm really strange. I have never used this company. I know nobody who is associated with this company. I have no vested interest what so ever. Now how many of you have bought anything from them? Do i think some of these claims of this company are designed to miss lead a guy who doesn't know much about engines. My answer is no different that other company's that make similar claims. What i am getting at the re-manufactured maybe good for the average driver. This is jmho and those guys who can't rebuild a engine this gives them a choice.

Last edited by wr1970; May 17th, 2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:04 PM
delete

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
In the interest of once again trying to stop the misuse of a term, a "crate engine" is a brand new engine (in a crate) made from all brand new castings and forgings.

That may be your definition, but to a lot of people it means an assembled long block delivered ready to install less bolt ons.
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:07 PM
delete

Originally Posted by wr1970
I find all this sarcasm really strange.
x2

Obviously an end user should do their homework. Maybe this company sucks or maybe their product is fine for a guy who just wants to get their car going and doesn't have the time or money to have his engine done soup to nuts.
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droptopron
That may be your definition, but to a lot of people it means an assembled long block delivered ready to install less bolt ons.
The fact that Mercedes calls this car a "coupe" doesn't make it a two door...

I'll point out that it isn't my definition of "crate engine", it's GM's. Chevy started using the term "crate engine" in 1989 for the new H.O. 350 engine assembly that was available over the parts counter. Yes, brand new production motors in the crate have always been available from the parts network, but this was the first use of the term "crate motor" and it specifically applied to a new production (as opposed to rebuilt with used castings) motor that was not of a configuration otherwise available in a production car or truck. Ford and Chrysler soon also came out with various crate motors, and other GM divisions also offered crate motors (like the 3800 V6 and Northstar). Some aftermarket companies who produce brand new Chevy and Ford block castings also offer brand new crate motors.

Yes, the term has been bastardized to now mean any rebuilt motor. Sort of takes the luster off the term "crate motor". How is a "crate motor" built from used castings any different from any other rebuilt motor from Jasper, ATK, etc? At this point the term has about as much meaning as "numbers matching".
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:59 PM
morgan

Jeez... the guy asks if anyone has heard of a company and it gets picked apart under a microscope
Old May 16th, 2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
Jeez... the guy asks if anyone has heard of a company and it gets picked apart under a microscope
Pretty much and i just don't understand why.
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:53 AM
delete

Originally Posted by wr1970
Pretty much and i just don't understand why.

Because some people are incredulous that someone knows less than them and just have acerbic personalities.
I remember one post where someone made the statement that anyone that pays to get a car done is Scum of the Earth. In a world filled with terrorists, rapists, pedophiles et al, paying to get a car restored makes you Scum of the Earth.
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:10 AM

50,000 engines since 1984 is 4 engines a day everyday for 32 years.
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droptopron
Because some people are incredulous that someone knows less than them and just have acerbic personalities.
I remember one post where someone made the statement that anyone that pays to get a car done is Scum of the Earth. In a world filled with terrorists, rapists, pedophiles et al, paying to get a car restored makes you Scum of the Earth.
You got all that from this thread? Wow, your reading comprehension is a lot better than mine...

Seriously, where in this thread has a post criticized the OP AT ALL?

Have we dumped on a vendor (who is not the OP) who quotes unbelievably low prices for work, with appropriately loose wording to allow the prices to be increased? Guilty.

Have we inflicted sarcastic humor on such claims (again, not made by or directed at the OP)? Also guilty.

If certain readers of this thread are one of those people who go out of their way to find things to be offended by, I'm sorry about that. Life's too short to worry about words not even directed at oneself.
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:53 AM

here here. or is it hear hear?
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by wcourt3010
here here. or is it hear hear?
Hear yea hear yea
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Or was it hear yee hear yee.
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:00 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by wcourt3010
50,000 engines since 1984 is 4 engines a day everyday for 32 years.
I'm sure it was a simple error. Probably meant 5,000. 5,000 engines would be 0.4 engines a day or one every 2.5 days. Much more doable. But their BBB page shows they have about 50 employees, so who knows?

But really, who knows what this place is like or how good the end product is. Unless we have someone comment who has had either a good or bad experience here, we only have limited resources like online reviews and BBB. And neither of those have enough feedback to form a valid sample size.

Here is some of their facebook photos:
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/Carolina-Machine-Engines-49266364305/photos_stream?tab=photos
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:53 AM

One can have a motor overhauled locally about anywhere in the country. I would personally recommend looking for a local shop recommended by folks at your local car shows who have had work done by the shop.
At least with a local builder, he can build it based on what your plans are for the car, inspect the used parts from the core and go from there.

For Buick, Pontiac, and Oldsmobiles (BPO), are rarer engines and builders with experience may be few and far between. Be picky even for cheap builds.

By rarer I mean, fewere seem to be built/over hauled. Watching some of the fixer upper shows, they seem to drop a new one in from Edlebrock, GM, Ford Performance, etc... While we don't have that type of support with our BPO, we have a lot of great builders around that equal or beat the big companies.

Last edited by 442fanatic; May 17th, 2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

50,000 rebuilt engines in 32 years is really not that many for a production shop.
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:35 PM

Bottom line

To me crate engine means new, not rebuilt. The OP asked and it was answered. Picked apart is exactly how I want my questions answered. If they are selling new crate engines a lot of people would want one. Me included. If someone uses terms that don't accurately describe their product it can be very misleading and unfortunate for olds owners. Ask me how I know.
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:43 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by Gary M
To me crate engine means new, not rebuilt. The OP asked and it was answered. Picked apart is exactly how I want my questions answered. If they are selling new crate engines a lot of people would want one. Me included. If someone uses terms that don't accurately describe their product it can be very misleading and unfortunate for olds owners. Ask me how I know.
Maybe you can call the seller of the engines get the details and post it
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:54 PM

Don't know any crate engine sellers

My comment on vendors or sellers using incorrect descriptions applies to any sellers who's will to sell exceeds their need to be completely honest on what you are buying. This statement excludes the ones who just don't know what the hell they are talking about. The buyer is responsible for not doing due diligence on those. That's where I fit in.
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:18 PM
Administrator

They have an A+ BBB rating and a quick search did not turn up any bad reviews.
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:38 PM

A+ rating is good and once you get past the fact that it is not a new engine but rebuilt, as long as you know they are good with no complaints all is well. Good luck with your project.
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 442fanatic

For Buick, Pontiac, and Oldsmobiles (BPO), are rarer engines and builders with experience may be few and far between. Be picky even for cheap builds.
Agreed; and/or find an excellent machinist and be extremely specific about the details. Your build will seldom exceed your depth of understanding.
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:07 PM

That's the beauty of this forum. All the opinions and knowledge end up with you knowing what you should do. We don't always agree due to specific wording but the result is helpful to our members. Without it you would have to guess right off the batt and that doesn't always end well. I for one am glad I have all these opinions to guide me.
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:06 PM
72 Olds CS

cme is that where user sammy had 2nd time around build issues ?

i think his first time around issues were w another unit outta ohio

edit close it was sammieolds

heres some info maybe PM him and napthatali

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-builder.html

Last edited by RetroRanger; May 18th, 2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:28 AM

This is not a job shop type engine rebuilder. I have been in this facility and have had them rebuild a couple of engines for me. They are a good group of people. The owner is very customer oriented, and has bent over backwards to correct a complaint. He is a big drag racer and knows engines. This building is huge, and I wouldn't be surprised if they can't back up their claim of 50,000 engines rebuilt. Before all you guys write them off as "no way", why not call them. You might be surprised.
I am not associated with this company in any way. I have used them and am satisfied.
They will build an engine for you, dyno it, and guarantee the hp. If you want something special, cam, valve job, different pistons, etc., just ask them. They can do it for you.
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:59 AM

You got all that from this thread? Wow, your reading comprehension is a lot better than mine...

Seriously, where in this thread has a post criticized the OP AT ALL?

Have we dumped on a vendor (who is not the OP) who quotes unbelievably low prices for work, with appropriately loose wording to allow the prices to be increased? Guilty.

Have we inflicted sarcastic humor on such claims (again, not made by or directed at the OP)? Also guilty.

If certain readers of this thread are one of those people who go out of their way to find things to be offended by, I'm sorry about that. Life's too short to worry about words not even directed at oneself.

But, when, almost each and every one of your posts literally drips with condescension and arrogance, quite a put off and really pretty sad. You may know your **** but they way you say it speaks volumns. Speaking of life being too short, don't you ever get tired of being negative or is it just "you".....
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by boese1978
But, when, almost each and every one of your posts literally drips with condescension and arrogance, quite a put off and really pretty sad. You may know your **** but they way you say it speaks volumns. Speaking of life being too short, don't you ever get tired of being negative or is it just "you".....
I'll be the first person to tell you I'm an arrogant ***.

Well, my ex-wives might actually try be first...

I also find that there are a lot of people who 1) apparently go looking for things to be offended by, and 2) will always read any post in the worst, most offending way possible.

Please note that nowhere in this particular post have I criticized you personally, the OP, or the company mentioned in this thread. If that still offends you, to quote Marion Barry, get over it.

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread topic...
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:25 AM

I'll be the first person to tell you I'm an arrogant ***.

Well, my ex-wives might actually try be first...

I also find that there are a lot of people who 1) apparently go looking for things to be offended by, and 2) will always read any post in the worst, most offending way possible.

Please note that nowhere in this particular post have I criticized you personally, the OP, or the company mentioned in this thread. If that still offends you, to quote Marion Barry, get over it.

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread topic...

Spoken like a true MassHole!
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:28 AM

A lesson I learned a long time ago is to keep large purchases and projects LOCAL. If something goes wrong, the close proximity is very advantageous.

Let's say you buy an engine from some company 500 miles away, and something goes wrong. You then need to ship it back. The cost and the hassles are not worth it.

And, you can also monitor progress by doing "drop ins".

I would never consider long distances unless there were no other choices.
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by My442
Spoken like a true MassHole!
Born and raised there...
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:03 AM

Born and raised there...

Yup, you are a product of Shrewsbury Mass....Spags, White City, Quinsigamond.

I live only a short hop away.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Hookers under Hood

Born and raised there...
Haha!!! Well, I wasn't born or raised ther. However you could always find me on the other side of the tracks. Put-r-ther!!!

Eric
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by My442
Yup, you are a product of Shrewsbury Mass....Spags, White City, Quinsigamond.

I live only a short hop away.
And I'll be back for my 40th high school reunion this fall.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Hookers under Hood

And I'll be back for my 40th high school reunion this fall.
I live a long hop away, But hey I will jump the Caboose and make it ther. I'll fit Jack in my pocket.....maybe 2 pockets, we'll have one heck of a ride out to the 40th.

Quick Reply: oldsmobile crate engines