General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Scanner recomendation

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2016, 01:48 PM
Jlc

Scanner recomendation

I have a 1994 olds custom cruiser s.

I am thinking of getting and OBD scanner. I bought one recommended by O'riely but it would not even fit on the connector in my car.

What scanner do I need? I think since it is 1994 that means an ODB I not an ODB II.

Is that correct?

Can any one recommend a possible scanner or a cable to connect to my laptop if there is a compatible one out there.

Thanks Jerry
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:32 PM
72 Olds CS

IIRC my old ford used an analog volt meter w OBD1
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:45 PM

with obd1 the different makes of cars had different diagnostic connectors so you needed different adapters for each make,when obd2 was introduced all makes use the same connector.if they sold you an obd1 and it didnt plug in you probably have obd2.the style of connector you have will tell you what it is. i think a late 94 could be obd2.the brand of scanner may not be that critical,i wouldn't get one that just reads codes.get one that can display data stream info.a lot of scanners can't show abs or trans codes either.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:59 PM
72Cutlass S

OBDII was released nationally in 1996. Everything before that was manufacturer specific, from the test connector to the nomenclature. In 1996 they made the terminology and the test connectors the same across the board. So you probably have whatever test connector gm was using at that time.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jlc
I have a 1994 olds custom cruiser s.

I am thinking of getting and OBD scanner. I bought one recommended by O'riely but it would not even fit on the connector in my car.

What scanner do I need? I think since it is 1994 that means an ODB I not an ODB II.

Is that correct?

Can any one recommend a possible scanner or a cable to connect to my laptop if there is a compatible one out there.

Thanks Jerry
Welcome. Your car is OBD I, but the 94/95 cars were sort of OBD 1.5 and are unique. What do you want a scanner for? If you just plan to check codes, you can do this with a paper clip. If you want to be able to read real-time data from the computer while you drive, get something like a used OTC Genysis. The Genysis is a real scan tool, not just a code reader, and had bi-directional test capability. Unfortunately, there is precious little you can do with an OBD I system anyway, so it isn't clear that it's worth the money for you.

Also, the last Olds Custom Cruiser was built in the 1992 model year, is RWD, and looks like this:

I suspect that you actually have a front wheel drive CUTLASS Cruiser. Does it look like this?

Old March 23rd, 2016, 09:13 AM
Jlc

You are correct I miss typed. I do have a Cutlass Crusier S.
I sent a note to Actron and they recommended a

Actron CP9190 Elite AutoScanner Pro Diagnostic Code Scanner Kit (Includes CP9185 Base Scanner, OBDI & OBDII Cables with Hard Case)

Thanks all for the responses. I will check out your suggestions.

Jerry