General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Adjusting points 350

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2018, 01:10 PM

Adjusting points 350

Are the points on a 350 unadjustable? It seems like there's a tang on the points that goes in a hole and I can't move them around to adjust them. I also can't get a feeler guage in between the contacts.
Old December 4th, 2018, 01:29 PM

As far as I know, all 'Points' are adjustable. You open the window in the cap and use a points adjusting tool (or an allen wrench).
Old December 4th, 2018, 01:36 PM

The body of the points is held in place/position by the tang. The adjustment is done with a hex wrench, the adjustment screw should line up with the window in the distributor cap. This is all assuming it is an OE Delco distributor. Good luck!!!

Last edited by Sugar Bear; December 4th, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old December 4th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Administrator

As said above, you adjust the points with an allen wrench for .016 with a feeler gauge or a 30* dwell through the distributor cap window with the engine running. The picture below is adjusting with the cap off for demonstration.

Old December 4th, 2018, 02:00 PM

Thanks. They didn't mention the allen screw in any of the tutorials I saw.
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:39 PM

Still can't fit a feeler guage in there. No matter where I move the weights, they're in the way. Any advice?
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:45 PM

That's because you have the combined points unit. I had the same issue. You can get the points and condenser seperately which allows you to get a feeler gauge in. You will need the little hold down screw for the condenser if you dont have it in your distibutor. I just don't trust the combined unit, and would rather have the old school style.
Old December 4th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Administrator

I've used motorcycle feeler gauges in the past, they are narrow. Click on the Amazon link below.
Amazon Amazon
Old December 4th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

The whole point of the Delco window distributor is that you adjust the points with a dwell meter while the engine is running. You just need to get the gap close before starting the engine.
Old December 4th, 2018, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The whole point of the Delco window distributor is that you adjust the points with a dwell meter while the engine is running. You just need to get the gap close before starting the engine.
I dont have my GM manual handy but the procedure in the Chevy manual was to turn the hex wrench (cant remember if it was clockwise or CCW) until the engine started to misfire and then back 180 degrees. We tested it a few times and found that the dwell was always within a degree using that method
Old December 4th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Yes, it was you turn CW until the engine misfires and then back a 1/2 turn. Its as accurate as a match book cover.
Old December 4th, 2018, 07:52 PM

Engine doesn't fire at all now. I've checked and double-checked all of the wires to make sure they're in the right order and nothing. I just can't get in there to set the gap. I turned the screw almost all the way in before putting the points back on. I guess I need to keep turning it out until the engine fires. The car's not at home, so I was stuck without the right tools. I'll have to try again tomorrow.
Old December 5th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Phantom Phixer

Good news ! You don't have to run the engine to set the points with a dwell meter .
Simply cranking the engine over with the ignition on will give you a reading on your dwell meter .
Have someone crank the engine while you adjust the points as suggested .
When you get close to 30 degrees the engine should start . then you can adjust it to exactly 30 .
Old December 5th, 2018, 10:29 PM

Don't own a dwell meter, unfortunately. Was planning on being able to do this with a feeler gauge.
Old December 5th, 2018, 11:13 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Tiberian Fiend
Don't own a dwell meter, unfortunately. Was planning on being able to do this with a feeler gauge.
Dwell meters are cheap ,
I have several , I'll give you one for ten bucks if you come to Apopka and pick it up .
PM me if interested .
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:06 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You can check the points are opening (and closing) with a 12v test light. Hook it up in series with the hot wire to the distributor. The light should come on with the points closed, and go off when they open. If they do that then the engine should start unless there is another problem.
It normally follows that if the dwell angle is correct the points gap will be correct and vice versa, but get the dwell right even if it means the point gap is off a fraction.

Roger.
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
You can check the points are opening (and closing) with a 12v test light. Hook it up in series with the hot wire to the distributor. The light should come on with the points closed, and go off when they open. If they do that then the engine should start unless there is another problem.
It normally follows that if the dwell angle is correct the points gap will be correct and vice versa, but get the dwell right even if it means the point gap is off a fraction.

Roger.
I'll give that a try, thanks.
Old December 6th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Administrator

When you change the dwell angle the timing changes. If the points are opening and closing, you may have to turn the distributor to advance or decline timing so it will start.
Old December 6th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
When you change the dwell angle the timing changes. If the points are opening and closing, you may have to turn the distributor to advance or decline timing so it will start.
This is true, but the reality is that if the car ran before, and all you do is change the points, adjusting the dwell is NOT going to change the timing enough to prevent the car from starting. Sure, you will need to check and possibly reset the timing after you adjust the dwell, but don't go changing too many things at once.
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:37 PM

and if you get it running an do set the dwell unhook the vac advance.