General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Is a smaller waterpump pulley a problem??

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2018, 03:59 PM

Is a smaller waterpump pulley a problem??

I have gathered the parts to convert my non-a/c Vista Cruiser to a/c. I just noticed that the replacement water pump pulley is smaller diameter than the original that is on the car. Is this going to be a problem? These are all used parts. The replacement is 3 groove while the original is 2 groove.
Old March 1st, 2018, 04:48 PM

The smaller pulley will spin your water pump faster, providing more cooling to the engine.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 08:29 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You will need shorter belts.

Roger.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rustyroger
You will need shorter belts.

Roger.
Actually, you will need DIFFERENT belts. The A/C configuration puts the alternator on the other side of the engine. The smaller water pump pulley is used in conjunction with these different brackets. And to the OP's question, the factory wouldn't have used the smaller pulley if it were an issue.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
And to the OP's question, the factory wouldn't have used the smaller pulley if it were an issue.
Joe, I was actually concerned that I got the incorrect parts from the supplier. I just didn't know that the factory would put a smaller pulley on the water pump. As you have seen from my previous posts I have collected the parts to convert to a/c.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Toocool
Joe, I was actually concerned that I got the incorrect parts from the supplier. I just didn't know that the factory would put a smaller pulley on the water pump. As you have seen from my previous posts I have collected the parts to convert to a/c.
The more important issue is, do you have the pulley that matches your water pump length?

Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The more important issue is, do you have the pulley that matches your water pump length?

Well, the part numbers in your diagram are not what I have, I don't know if mine are actually from a 330 engine. He told me these will work. I guess I just have to wait until I have everything here and trial fit everything. I am waiting for the correct alternator bracket to get here. He sent the wrong one, I returned it, he has sent the correct one but I haven't received it yet. Are there different lengths of water pumps?
Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Toocool
Are there different lengths of water pumps?
Three, to be exact. Your 330 uses the 5.09" (shortest) pump either with A/C or or without, however the actual pumps are different.

This site lists part and casting numbers.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 08:54 AM

Some of my first posts here were related to this issue. I had a mix of pulleys and the wrong water pump height, and nothing would line up correctly. Worse was that when I DID get some things to line up using the smaller pulley (like you are discussing here) I had one belt that wouldn't stretch over the pulley set up and one that was far too big - but when held next to each other there was very little difference in length. The factory has these things measured out just right - mixing and matching just doesn't work well without a lot of effort. I got everything back exactly how it should be with all the correct pieces, and it fits like a glove.