General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Requesting your .02 | 71 Upgrade Planning

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2018, 06:24 PM

Requesting your .02 | 71 Upgrade Planning

Hi Folks,
I spend the vast majority of my time searching on our forum but I need your specific help this time around. I’m getting married on 4/28, my beloved 1971 Cutlass S will play a very small part in church-to-venue travel and one or more tasteful pictures. I’ve been given the “green light” to “freshen” it the car up. You know, check it over and get it in shape. Good news is, it’s already been very reliable and I have little concerns that it’s wouldn’t perform like a champ as is. That being said, I’ve been wanting to make some changes and now seems like a perfect time. Please share your thoughts as I go though this process.

Current issues:
1. Poor break pedal feel. 4 corner power drums with likely very warm pads. Currently, little travel from nothing to full breaking power.
2. 15” cragar SSs with 275s all around. Heavy(!) front rubbing not even at full lock. Also I think they may be only 7 or 8s as there is significant tire bulging.
3. 3speed, manual valve body trans is great - just not for the highway. Would love to have another gear or overdrive. I’m 6’8” so it’s absolutly fantastic to have the feel of moving from gear to gear without tryig to bend my leg in strange positions to work the clutch.

​​Sounds easy right?

Only challenging stuff is to make sure all of my plans work as designed, they fittogether, and that I avoid as little rework as possible. I have ~limited funds and time. Roughly 3k is where I’m trying to be. I might as well play with the stace while I’m at it because just slapping some wheels on it clearly won’t work and will look like ***. Springs/Qa1s/spindles - not sure. I want to keep my long term goals in perspective.

For those that have read this far, let me apologize if you’re not a large diameter wheel fan and/or fan of over utilized wheel options, but I do plan on going with 18-20” TT2s or very similar. Sorry. As I search through this forum it tends to definitely hedge to the more classic styling of these cars.

Current Plans:
1. 4 corner disk conversion rather than spend any money on fixing the current breaking situation. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-afxdc51ds
This has the 2” drop front spindles. Could also just do Qa1s but I read mixed feels about both approaches.
Also, I feel like I’m already low, per my k-member. It’s hard to think about another drop. Bought the car like this and I think the springs at just cut.

2. New wheels and tires.
Love the gold cutty on here with 18s. Also love some of the Chevelles that go to the 20’s with smaller factory wells.
Current plan:
TT2 in chrome
Rear- 18x10 5.74 BS. 305-315
Font- 18x8 (or 7?) 4.5 BS no more than a 245 front. I like some of the big/skinny feel but again, plan to do you highway traveling in the future so I think no less than a 225.

Likely nito 555s all around.
Possibly white letters (please don’t get hung up on this.)

3. 3 speed.
I plan to live with my current drivetrain setup as I won’t need any highway driving for the big day. Future item to address though.

At the end of the day I want a respectable large diameter tire car, that’s slightly lowered, stops great, but still doesn’t (completely) lose that classic muscle car 70s vibe. She already turns heads. People really like my car also. . It’s really funny when she’s riding shotgun. Not always 100% sure what their giving me the thumbs-up for.

Can I have my cake and eat it to? Does my rambling make any sense? Are you willing to come along with me on this ride? Do you hate my plans? Your help is tremendously appreciated!

Last edited by 71CutlassS455; January 28th, 2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old January 28th, 2018, 06:27 PM

1940 garage to be addressed in the years to come. 2” to short and yes I k-park will little issue - about 6 times...
1971 trans am clone is an 12 year project now and still doesn’t run. 455/4speed t/a font-end. likely a project to pick back up years from now. Refuse to sell.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CutlassS455; January 28th, 2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old January 29th, 2018, 04:13 AM

Congratulations on the marriage. We used the '68 Road Runner we had in our wedding journey from Church to reception. It was great, I love to look at the pictures. Anyway, It is the end of January and you plan to get hitched on the end of April... 3 months? Not enough time to do big changes like 4 wheel discs, etc. You are going to be busy with plans etc. I would just go thru everything- If it needs shoes, just buy some they aren't very expensive. Marriage is a big deal, I personally wouldn't take on a big project now.
Old January 29th, 2018, 07:53 AM

Thanks!

Thankfully, 95% of the planning is done, confirmed, and booked. Down to the songs the band will be playing and pre/post-wedding festivities. Its ambitious but, not impossible. I could outsource the break upgrade but that wouldn't be any fun and I've done one before with frankin-parts. Figure a full kit would take some of the unknowns out of the equation.
Old January 29th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Bfg

You better check with the future bride, she might be thinking new furniture and drapes instead!
Old January 29th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bfg
You better check with the future bride, she might be thinking new furniture and drapes instead!
Ha! This has already been fully approved by the commish and does not impact other inflight/planned updates around the house.
Old January 29th, 2018, 02:56 PM

Your plan sounds doeable, however, 305’s might be a little wide depending on b.s.’s, I’m running 295’s, perfect fit..
Old January 29th, 2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 71CutlassS455
This has the 2” drop front spindles. Could also just do Qa1s but I read mixed feels about both approaches.
Also, I feel like I’m already low, per my k-member. It’s hard to think about another drop. Bought the car like this and I think the springs at just cut.
So you plan to drop the front 2" more than it currently sits? Might need to start researching new front and rear springs.
Old February 8th, 2018, 03:10 PM

Quick Update:

Brakes:
Ordered this week. Might be able to start this weekend if they show up. Free shipping and a coupon made this much easier to pull the trigger. Stock spindles
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-afxdc41csx

Fully expect to have to pull the rear axles once I confirm the rear rotors dont fit over the olds axles. TBD

Wheels:
Likely now 18s all around (18x10 18x8).
Heavily leaning towards CRW Series 94:
http://www.circleracing.com/94series.htm

Considered bospeed's ICON and really preferred them, but the turnaround time was min 9 weeks and even that was suspect to reality. Many interesting reads on various boards. Plus everything was an upgrade at $$$.

TT2s were also in the mix but i had them on my 94 camaro (17x10 315s )
Just seemed to familiar to get excited about.
Old February 11th, 2018, 09:52 AM
W30

I did the umi 1in lowering springs ( same height of the 30yld springs) hotckis a-body shocks. This made a big difference.
Old February 17th, 2018, 02:52 PM

2/17 Update:
Right Stuff disk conversion came in last week. After yanking the front hubs/springs out I opted for some additional parts that arrived today: QA1 single adjustable coilovers with their set of control arms I haven’t pulled the trigger on the rears just because I need to see if 1-1.5” drop in the rear will be enough. Wish their rear coil overs could do a 2”drop. A few on here have opted for rear drop spring, possibly for the same reason.

Front suspension and front brake components were disassembled this week. Few hours here and there after work. First new parts started going back on today. New brake booster and prop valve dropped right into place. While the upper qa1 control arms dropped right into place, the lowers were a real PITA. Wish I made their suggested all thread spreader on the first side to true up the slightly warped attachment points on the frame. Made it so much easier on the other side. I opted for the elbow grease method.

Once the right right stuff full stainless brake line kit come in I think Things will start to come together.

Last edited by 71CutlassS455; February 19th, 2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old May 12th, 2018, 05:26 PM

Quick update: Somehow it all got done in the past few months and the car worked flawlessly for our wedding.

QA1 upper and lower control arms
QA1 front foul overs
BMI 2” drip rear springs
RightStuff 4 wheel drum to disk conversion will all new SS lines.
18” 8 and 10s TT2s 245s & 295s

need to get some better headers/exhaust now to tuck it closer to the floor pan. Only have 2” of clearance but it’s well worth it. Car rides so much better now.

some quick pics: