Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Predicting the future...

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Predicting the future...

We all know that 1974 was the last year for SSII/III wheels with bolt-on centers, and that 1975 was the first use of snap-in centers. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled over this page in the 1974 dealer brochure. (Hint: look closely at the SSIII wheel center).

Old January 15th, 2018, 08:31 AM

It looks like a smaller version of the snap on cap? Definitely not a bolt on cap in that picture. Like you said, foreshadowing the future.
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Administrator

And rear ABS for the Toro only
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
It looks like a smaller version of the snap on cap? Definitely not a bolt on cap in that picture. Like you said, foreshadowing the future.
I'm not sure it's smaller, but definitely a snap-in center and wheel, which was NOT offered for the 1974 model year.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
And rear ABS for the Toro only
Actually, RPO JL9 True Track Braking was first offered on the 1971 Toros. My point was the picture of snap-in centers that were not offered in that model year.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:08 AM

I always found it strange that Oldsmobile offered 15x7 SS-2 wheels w/bolt-on center caps for all A-bodies for just the one year.

Why not go directly to 15x7 SS-2 wheels w/snap on center caps for 1974 since they would be used for the following three years, or just keep the bolt-on center centers until the A-body downsizing.

Maybe the snap on center cap wheels were going to be offered in 1974, but for some unknown reason they could not be produced in time? That may explain the wheel shown on the options page. Now I need to find a '74 brochure on-line to see what type of SS-2 wheel are shown on the cars.

Still trying to find out why the 15x7 SS-2 wheel option was cancelled for the '70 model year and if Oldsmobile or Hurst supplied the 15x7 SS-2 wheels for the '69 H/O.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by anthonyP
I always found it strange that Oldsmobile offered 15x7 SS-2 wheels w/bolt-on center caps for all A-bodies for just the one year.

Why not go directly to 15x7 SS-2 wheels w/snap on center caps for 1974 since they would be used for the following three years, or just keep the bolt-on center centers until the A-body downsizing.

Maybe the snap on center cap wheels were going to be offered in 1974, but for some unknown reason they could not be produced in time? That may explain the wheel shown on the options page. Now I need to find a '74 brochure on-line to see what type of SS-2 wheel are shown on the cars.

Still trying to find out why the 15x7 SS-2 wheel option was cancelled for the '70 model year and if Oldsmobile or Hurst supplied the 15x7 SS-2 wheels for the '69 H/O.
I'm sure the change to snap-in centers was a cost savings (less labor) and given that the Cutlass was the number one selling nameplate in the second half of the 70s, the non-recurring change was negligible. Olds made the H/O wheels and installed them on the assembly line (along with the 455 motors).
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm sure the change to snap-in centers was a cost savings (less labor) and given that the Cutlass was the number one selling nameplate in the second half of the 70s, the non-recurring change was negligible. Olds made the H/O wheels and installed them on the assembly line (along with the 455 motors).
Interesting. Always read the 455 was installed by Hurst for the '69 H/O due to the engine size restriction set by the GM brass. That definitely made it easier on Hurst.

Also thought Hurst had 14" SS-II wheels converted to 15" and installed them along with the other specific parts.

Now knowing that Olds made & installed the 15x7 wheels on 1969 cars destined for Hurst conversions makes the decision to cancel the 1970 option for 15x7 SS-II wheels even more puzzling.

Last edited by anthonyP; January 15th, 2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:21 PM

I'm sure the change to snap-in centers was a cost savings
Also due to a smaller size I would think.
Old January 16th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Interesting. Always read the 455 was installed by Hurst for the '69 H/O due to the engine size restriction set by the GM brass. That definitely made it easier on Hurst.
That was the official story, to circumvent the GM limit of 400 cu in in the A-body cars, but if you think about it, how could Olds have possibly built these cars on the assembly line if the engines weren't installed in them? You couldn't install the trans, accessories, exhaust, etc. Installing the "wrong" motor and having Demmer swap it would have been prohibitive from both a cost and time standpoint. It has since been confirmed that the cars left Olds with the 455 already in them.
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:51 AM

That was the official story, to circumvent the GM limit of 400 cu in in the A-body cars, but if you think about it, how could Olds have possibly built these cars on the assembly line if the engines weren't installed in them? You couldn't install the trans, accessories, exhaust, etc. Installing the "wrong" motor and having Demmer swap it would have been prohibitive from both a cost and time standpoint. It has since been confirmed that the cars left Olds with the 455 already in them.
Thanks Joe for the information. Your reasoning makes complete sense. That is probably why the specialty Chevrolet dealers making the '68 427 Camaro's, Chevelle's, and Nova's via costly & timely engine swaps were able to continue in '69, when the factory installed the 427 engine on the assembly line.
Old January 16th, 2018, 04:56 PM

We all know that 1974 was the last year for SSII/III wheels with bolt-on centers, and that 1975 was the first use of snap-in centers. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled over this page in the 1974 dealer brochure. (Hint: look closely at the SSIII wheel center).
Keen observation Joe!

But, pointing out errors in GM illustrations is a bit of a can of worms: it could take decades for us to list them.

Old January 17th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
Keen observation Joe!

But, pointing out errors in GM illustrations is a bit of a can of worms: it could take decades for us to list them.
I realize that there are a multitude of instances where the factory brochures (which are printed before the cars go on sale) do not depict the final production configuration. This is a little different in that it shows something that DID make production, but in the following model year. Obviously Olds was already tooling up the snap-in wheels for the 1975 cars before the 1974 model year cars went on sale, but I'm surprised that someone went through the trouble to use that illustration in a 1974 brochure. The 1973 brochure shows wheels with bolt-in centers.
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:33 PM
ph_ckstick1

If the bolt on centers are the same on the 1 year only 15x7 and the earlier 14" wheels, they might have only used the bolt on that one year as they had already ordered a bazzionion of them.. that was way before the "just on time" ordering..
Old February 13th, 2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
If the bolt on centers are the same on the 1 year only 15x7 and the earlier 14" wheels, they might have only used the bolt on that one year as they had already ordered a bazzionion of them.. that was way before the "just on time" ordering..
Interesting concept and probably correct. Too bad they did not have enough over-production bolt-on centers to produce the unique 15x7 SS-2 wheel for a few extra years. lol
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:09 PM
ph_ckstick1

Interesting concept and probably correct. Too bad they did not have enough over-production bolt-on centers to produce the unique 15x7 SS-2 wheel for a few extra years. lol
no idea, but if the mounting in the wheel center is different.. They just keep building wheels with that center to the hoop until the caps are close to gone.. who knows.
I just wish someone would pop out the 15x7 wheel in alum in maybe 17 or 18"
Year one does the earlier wheel that looks like the buick and chevy but not the later wheel that non of the other gm makes had anything remotely like it..

Last edited by midnightleadfoot; February 13th, 2018 at 07:12 PM.