General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Bambi again

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Oldsdruid

Bambi again

Yup- Bambi got the wagon Thursday night a week ago. Topped a small rise and there she was in the middle of the lane staring at me stupidly. No time to react so I sent her on a little trip thru the air. Busted the RH grille, headlight surround and parking light and threw the headlights way out of aim.

Losing the K-Car to one in 09 was irksome but by whacking the Gray Ghost it's bordering on personal. I refuse to let a branch head send that car to the scrapyard, even though the parts are now not easy to find- seems the donk crowd cleaned most junkyards out of 80s B-body trim.

Damn a white-tailed deer. It still wouldn't bother me if the whole species were exterminated, esp since the Commonwealth of Vajenya is notorious for not managing its livestock. From three small herds established in the area in the early 70s, we are now overrun with them. And the Commonwealth introduced elk into the far southwest counties a few years ago, so I'm sure they'll eventually migrate over the mountain and create road havoc here.

State trooper cousin asked if collision killed it and I didn't know, but I sure hope Bambi's right-hand *** cheek is reminding her not to stand in the highway.

Last edited by rocketraider; December 24th, 2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old December 24th, 2017, 02:46 PM

Soooo......You killed Bambi🤕😵

Oldsmobiles hold up much better than those " other" models. My brother has a Mazda and the deer damn near totaled it.
Old December 24th, 2017, 03:12 PM

Introduction of wildlife species,(ie. elk) when there are not enough predators or hunters to control them is is extremely stupid. And if the hunting regulations cannot keep the deer population down, what will keep the Elk down. Just wait until they bring in the wolves and lions to control the elk and deer.
My state needs to allow market hunting for whitetails.
Old December 24th, 2017, 03:25 PM

The people who make these decisions are the type that would walk up to a bear to get a close up. They don't think far enough ahead.
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:47 AM

The first new car I ever owned was totaled when I struck at deer at highway speeds just outside of Madison WI. I managed to go many years without hitting another. Then, in the space of about 12 months, I hit one with my company car. While that was being repaired, I hit one with my personal car. Then, a number of months later, while on the way to Chicago with the whole family onboard, I hit one with my wife's Mountaineer. That one was during hunting season. It apparently had been shot at and was running absolutely flat out when it crossed the road. We no sooner than got the Mountaineer repaired when my wife hit another one with the same car just outside of town. We left WI soon thereafter and haven't hit one since.
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:04 AM

HAHAHAHA, I have to laugh. People think they are cute. Wildlife can be disasterous. I just totaled out a Mountaineer in October from a deer. Several Midwest states have re-established "wild turkeys", and they can take out a windshield.
My sympathies to anyone who had a car messed up from wildlife.
Ralph
Old December 25th, 2017, 08:09 AM

it's not fair to the animals and people that get killed because the well meaning but inexperienced people in charge mess with nature. My sympathy goes to both the animals and owners of the cars that get damaged/ killed.
Old December 26th, 2017, 08:13 AM

This is one reason why I did not drive my 70 442 other than to shows, and maint drives and why I won't drive the 65 when it is done. I don't ride my Harley at night and if I do, I don't go fast.

Now there is something that you can do. Since I have the Harley and ride with the Patriot Guard, there are times I am out at night. I got this device called The Hornet Deer Alert. I mounted it on the bottom frame tube so it is aimed at a 45 degree angle at the road. I have a switch to turn it on and off. It blasts a 200 dB high freq. sound the deer can hear and some other animals, but not people. I can hear a sound it makes enough to know it is working. Does it work? So far, two things seem to happen when I have encountered deer: they either run away from it or they freeze. I called the guy who made it and he said he believes it reduces the chances of a deer/motorcycle contact by about 70%. I will ere on the 70% as it is better than nothing.

As far as the deer population and I hunt and I am from Pennsylvania.. The reason there are so many deer is that fewer people are hunting, and there is plenty of feed for them. People feed them. Non-hunters who now live in rural areas around cities feed the deer because they think they are cute. These people don't like hunting and don't allow it on their property. So one thing leads to another.
Old December 26th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Bfg

The deer were here before we were, I wonder if they had collisions with deer on horse back?
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:39 PM

As a matter of fact, in a round about way, YES. I have had one or two bikers tell me they have been hit by deer from the side and while my sister was horseback riding outside of Ligioner, Pa. a deer ran in front of her horse and the horse threw her into a tree and she had to be helicoptered to the hospital. The only thing that saved her was a helmet she had on. She had to take rehabilitation and got a concussion.
Old December 26th, 2017, 04:30 PM

Come to think about it all three of my past wife's have totaled or should have totaled cars playing with Bambi. We fixed a Mustang that should have been a pick and pull resident but somehow it got fixed up for way more than it was worth. In truth... Bambi hates you.... Tedd
Old December 26th, 2017, 08:33 PM

I have managed to miss bambi. Black ice is the one I hate.
Old December 27th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Olds Fever

Not sure it's the same Bambi, but this one is at our place enjoying a meal of bird seed... Needless to say the birds are very upset...

Old January 1st, 2018, 01:29 PM
Oldsdruid

The do-gooders who feed them are breaking the law- or would be in Virginia. These nincompoops have apparently never had deer destroy their high-dollar landscaping or create other havoc on their property. They are a pest species here and the Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries knows it, yet they will not do anything to control much less reduce the population. To show how ridiculous the hunting regulations are here, on east side of US29 is one season, and the season on west side of the same highway is totally different. And that road splits the county in half.

John, that New York deer has apparently never encountered a Vajenya mockingbird! I put out suet cakes hoping to attract woodpeckers, but the Mockingbird has laid claim to the suet cages and will drive off anything that tries to get the suet- including a trio of bigass crows. Now, these crows are known to harass hawks and owls, so you can intuit that the Mockingbird is badass...

Repeat: damn a white-tailed deer.
Old January 1st, 2018, 06:50 PM

Borrowing Burger Kings flame thrower

Bambeeeee is my enemeeeee
Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:21 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by rocketraider
The do-gooders who feed them are breaking the law- or would be in Virginia. These nincompoops have apparently never had deer destroy their high-dollar landscaping or create other havoc on their property. They are a pest species here and the Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries knows it, yet they will not do anything to control much less reduce the population. To show how ridiculous the hunting regulations are here, on east side of US29 is one season, and the season on west side of the same highway is totally different. And that road splits the county in half.

John, that New York deer has apparently never encountered a Vajenya mockingbird! I put out suet cakes hoping to attract woodpeckers, but the Mockingbird has laid claim to the suet cages and will drive off anything that tries to get the suet- including a trio of bigass crows. Now, these crows are known to harass hawks and owls, so you can intuit that the Mockingbird is badass...

Repeat: damn a white-tailed deer.
Just want to say we don't intentionally feed the deer... Our 3 acres of land has a lot of pine trees and that is where the deer usually nest and feed... Fenced off a large area to protect the pines and other vegetation around the house and garage, but damn deer like to jump the fence... Never gave any thought that the deer would eat the bird seed, but we do have some fairly large crows that give the deer a hard time... That's nature and still beats living in the heart of the city...
Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:28 PM

My state just announced that they are getting 60 elk from Arizona to locate in a southern county.
Old January 5th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Oldsdruid

That means they'll hook up with the herds in the Mountain Empire of Virginia and there will be elk out the googiechute.

Mercy. The folks that made that decision ought to be held permanently responsible for any damage their elk cause.