Body Parts for my 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:07 PM

Smile Body Parts for my 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible

My grandfather bought a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible brand new in October of 1969. He died of cancer and left the car to me, being the only other person on the planet who loved the car as much as he did. It was the only vehicle he owned and although he didn't drive it much, it got the wear and tear of Chicago weather and the salt on the streets in the winter. The interior is amazing, but the body suffered from the elements.

I desperately need full rear quarter panels, front panels, doors and the convertible top (which looks okay, but has a couple rips, so I figured I'd replace it). Everything is original and the car runs great. I know it's going to cost me, but I hope to be giving this car to my grandson some day. Please let me know of a good website where I can purchase these items.

Also, my friend does body work and will be helping me rebuild it (because I can't afford a body shop to do it). He was amazed at how good a shape the frame was in.

I joined this site several months back, but this is my first post. I have been looking for parts on the site, but now I'm thinking about just ordering from a site that has everything so I don't have to wait for a deal. I have kids and a wife that doesn't work, but I'm getting impatient of watching the car sit in the garage all beat up.

I appreciate any input you all can give. I had joined a couple of other sites and this one is the only site I'm posting in. From what I've seen, you guys are the most knowledgeable and there isn't the bickering and nonsense other sites have. So thanks for that!
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:55 PM

I live in St. Louis and have a pair of NOS quarter panels still in the box. Box looks like hell from age but panels are great. Also have a driver door that is in great condition but used. I was keeping them for future use if needed but am wanting to build a motor for my car. Send me a message if you want pictures.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 06:41 PM

nos quarters

Welcome !!

https://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/...414669809.html

this guy has a bunch of stuff ..........

hes probably a member here also .......

thats really cool your repairing grandpas ragtop ... they are the sweetest body style the 70-72 rag tops ...

please post pictures when you have time ... many of us wanna check it out ....

we like old original paint and pinstripes .... color combos etc .... hope you leave it a cutlass ....is it a runner ??

Scott

Last edited by 72455442RA; December 23rd, 2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 06:54 PM
1971 442 conv

Originally Posted by austincutlass
.....I desperately need full rear quarter panels, front panels, doors and the convertible top.......... Please let me know of a good website where I can purchase these items.!
How far are you from DeKalb, IL? Checkout the link below and they are offering additional 10% off for the next few days. If you are within driving distance, then you will save on shipping:

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com

Old December 23rd, 2017, 07:13 PM

A few Vendors

thepartsplaceinc.com
supercarsunlimited.com
fusick.com
opgi.com
inlinetube.com
ebay.com
Note: NOS panels are thicker metal than aftermarket. My car has aftermarket quarters on it now. Can't tell the difference. Save your existing trunk gutters because none the the replacement quarters come with them. I've heard you can get Chevell gutters from Chevy vendors if yours are shot.

Last edited by Gary M; December 23rd, 2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 07:36 PM

two more not sure on parts they sell.
Brothers Automotive
Year One
Old December 24th, 2017, 07:17 AM

PM sent
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:42 PM

Thanks so much for the advice guys!

I really appreciate any info I can get with this since I love the body style of this car and I am attached to the sentimentality of it, but I'm only a novice car guy.
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:50 PM

Old December 25th, 2017, 07:13 PM

72455442RA requested a pic, so I attached the most recent one.

The car was running great, but then had some backfiring issues. Everything on the car is original, so I didn't want to replace the distributor with some Chinese garbage, so I had it rebuilt. Now it works great and the car runs like a champ again.

The video of the rebuilt distributor won't link with this message, but if anyone wants to see the 15 second video, it's impressive. Just send me your email and I'll send it to you. Unfortunately, the guy who rebuilt it for me is retired and only did it for me as a favor, so I can't refer him to anyone that needs it.

Forgot to mention it needs rocker panels and a steering wheel, too.

The interior and carpet still look great! The floorboards and trunk floor are in okay shape and my friend said they don't need to be replaced, just mended. Once the car looks good, I was going to send the carburetor off to Cliff Ruggles for a rebuild, unless anyone else has a better idea. It's running great, but my grandfather had complained about the carburetor a couple years before he passed away and he was right. Sometimes, I have to hit the accelerator several times to get the car to start up if it hasn't ran in a couple weeks.

Please keep sending the info on guys. I am on a huge learning curve.

Thanks!
Old December 26th, 2017, 08:14 AM

Straight looking car.
Crumple zones - small bends in the ridge of the fender just under the edge of the hood. 70 did not have them. 72 years have them and if you buy reproductions they have them. The government made car manufacturers put the bumps in to help the fender absorb energy in a crash. You do not see them till you open the hood. Most people don't notice them until you point them out. By the way my doors have the trim holes for your chrome too. Reproductions door skins don't have the holes.
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72455442RA
Welcome !!

https://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/...414669809.html

this guy has a bunch of stuff ..........
"This guy" is Fusick, actually. The same photos are in their ads on ebay. They are apparently dumping a lot of NOS parts right now.
Old December 26th, 2017, 04:28 PM

Tips

You can search for videos online that show how to replace a door skin. Probably YouTube. Places on your doors to check for rust before you buy skins are ( parts of the frames of the doors) along the bottom of the doors, in the front and back at the top under the weather stripping and around where the skin would wrap around the frames. If the frames are rusted out it may be cheaper to get a better door.
On the reproduction panels it's a good idea to put some paint solvent on a rag and rub the black coating In a hidden area like the back to see if the coating comes off easy. If it does, strip the coating off and use an epoxy primer before painting.
You can find a steering wheel on this site or one of the vendors we mentioned. A lot of guys like the 442 style sport wheel.
When your body man removes the quarter panels have him use a spot weld drill bit and remove the spot welds to remove the panels.
Anywhere you find surface rust behind the panels you can use rust converter from Eastwood.com ( except where you plan to weld) to help stop the rust. Others here may clarify this better.
Bag and mark where all bolts came from to ease reassembly.

Last edited by Gary M; December 26th, 2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:08 PM

Austin,
I have a front passanger side patch panel if you need one. I bought it from Summit but didnt need it because I replaced both from fenders instead.
Here's what it is:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...oaAkC3EALw_wcB

Let me know.
Thanks,
Doug in NC